HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Redevelopment starts with demolition

Demolition of a building formerly used by The Oregonian newspaper is under way in Portland’s Goose Hollow neighborhood. In its place will rise a mixed-use building, Canvas at Press Blocks, with 8,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space, seven stories of office space and a ninth-floor tenant amenity space. The building is one of three being constructed as part of the Press Blocks redevelopment; also planned are a 23-story residential tower and a three-story office-and-retail building one block east.

Staton Companies is demolishing the 175,000-square-foot building, located at 817 S.W. 17th Ave., for general contractor Lease Crutcher Lewis. The structure formerly held large newsprint rolls, which were moved through the building by a large gantry crane and transported by tunnel to the full-block printing space on the adjacent block to the east.
...continues at the DJC (temporarily unlocked).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:15 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

YAAAAAAAY!!!!!

Bring the bunker down. I'm so excited about how this project will change the neighborhood. I'm surprised they couldn't come up with a better name for the building that'll be built here than Canvas at Press Blocks. Eh, whatever. I'm so excited about this one!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:43 AM

Starting with office, not residential. Hmm.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
Starting with office, not residential. Hmm.
Yep, see maccoinnich's posts 155 and 158 on the previous page for additional details.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Yep, see maccoinnich's posts 155 and 158 on the previous page for additional details.
Any thoughts on why start with office in 2018 and defer residential until maybe post 2020?

I've heard that architect work for new residential projects is slowing, while commercial is picking up. True? If so, why is that?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Any thoughts on why start with office in 2018 and defer residential until maybe post 2020?
Because the office part was able to secure funding.

Quote:
I've heard that architect work for new residential projects is slowing, while commercial is picking up. True? If so, why is that?
I see your online presence across the web and know you know this answer.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 12:47 AM

Looks like the full block might be moving forward again: there's recently been activity on the excavation permit.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 2:41 AM

I hope the other portion of this project moves forward, it's a nice design. The office building is looking good too.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 5:56 AM

Corrections related to the Energy Code Review for the tower were submitted on Tuesday. It's the first activity on the permit since 2018. That could mean two things I can think of:
  1. They're ready to start and are now trying to get the permit issued; or
  2. They're just trying to stop the permit from expiring, and need to show the city something to justify another extension.

Either way, somebody doesn't want the permit to expire.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Corrections related to the Energy Code Review for the tower were submitted on Tuesday. It's the first activity on the permit since 2018. That could mean two things I can think of:
  1. They're ready to start and are now trying to get the permit issued; or
  2. They're just trying to stop the permit from expiring, and need to show the city something to justify another extension.

Either way, somebody doesn't want the permit to expire.
I sincerely hope it's #1. Did the Goose Hollow NA put up a fight on this in 2016/2017? It seems they're adverse to tall buildings, so I'm curious how that design got through approval..

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
I sincerely hope it's #1. Did the Goose Hollow NA put up a fight on this in 2016/2017? It seems they're adverse to tall buildings, so I'm curious how that design got through approval..
Yes, they appealed it to City Council, where they lost. Weirdly they didn't put up a fight about the ART Tower though.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 6:01 PM

The life safety, fire and structural reviews for the foundation permit for the tower all moved to "approved" in the past week. This project may still be moving forward?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:43 PM

There seems to be continued permit activity on the residential tower.
The latest being yesterday.
Anyone know what is going on?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
There seems to be continued permit activity on the residential tower.
The latest being yesterday.
Anyone know what is going on?
The only activity I see yesterday is a mechanical permit for the office.

With that said, the foundation permit for the residential tower has activity as recently as last month. It definitely seems like someone is trying to keep the permit alive, and possibly move towards issuance. In normal circumstances the Design Review approval would have expired this summer* but City Council recently extended all approvals that are still valid to January 2024.

* I think. Honestly not sure how it works when there's one design review case but multiple building permits.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Review approval would have expired this summer* but City Council recently extended all approvals that are still valid to January 2024.

* I think. Honestly not sure how it works when there's one design review case but multiple building permits.
Is there still some non IZ permitted buildings out there? Seems like having the ability to build without inclusionary housing up to 2024 would give those developers a huge leg up over the competition.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Is there still some non IZ permitted buildings out there? Seems like having the ability to build without inclusionary housing up to 2024 would give those developers a huge leg up over the competition.
There are still some, though not that many. Anything that received design review approval after summer 2017 now has a valid approval until 2024.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 9:58 PM

It looks like a new construction permit for apts/condos was applied for on 9/24.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
It looks like a new construction permit for apts/condos was applied for on 9/24.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 8:57 PM
Resident

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R246773

Looks like the the GBD-designed 4-Story Half Block Office is making forward progress. Is there any reason to doubt that the proposed adjacent Mithrun tower will move ahead at this point? It's by the far the more exciting of the pair to my eyes.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 6:04 AM
Registered Ugly

Sort of surprised there hasn’t been any discussion or photos on this one. I take the 405 a couple times a month and this one looks large and quite nice while southbound off the Fremont.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland