HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Albert Street Cocktail is closing Saturday. Shocked it made it this long.
That bad huh?

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:16 PM

Been a mess since they opened. Way too big of a space to not have actual food and serve drinks that take 30 mins. Got new management in fall which caused all the old staff to quit.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I always find the fascination with fast food outlets on this thread fascinating.
Quote:
Albert Street Cocktail is closing Saturday. Shocked it made it this long.
Quote:
Been a mess since they opened. Way too big of a space to not have actual food and serve drinks that take 30 mins. Got new management in fall which caused all the old staff to quit.
I finally made it down to the "new" Albert Street Cocktail about 1-2 months back, and while the drink was good, I was definitely dissappointed.

What must be acknowledged is that they weren't succeeding in the first place. But they had a product. The best and most creative cocktails in the city, and tons of them.

Whoever came in to manage it hacked that list 85% down. Still good drinks, but gone was that huge imagination and selection. That wasn't their problem, that was their product.

Their problems were space, food, and time management.

1) Maybe reduce the drink list 25%, train them better, higher one more bartender. Not an expensive problem.

2) Food? No idea what could have been done here lol. I'd like to think something was possible with all that space.

3) large space but not a ton of seating. Could have definitely fit more tables. If they made drinks fast enough, or prepped some of the sauces/syrups/elaborate details before hand, people would have come.

Makes me mad. Was the best cocktail destination, for cocktails, in the city when it opened.

Also, how is that little strip on Albert not booming?

#Angrywolf

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 7:11 PM

The space was just too large for the concept. And too large to not have food – that's why they had pizza pop-ups on weekends the last little while. Add more tables and the issues only get worse.

Also what's not "booming" there – it's probably the best block in the Exchange. On the west side all the units are occupied with great, busy shops. Obviously the Bodegoes building is empty but not for "market" reasons. Albert Street as you mentioned was a management problem, again not a "market" problem. Amsterdam Team Room is always busy now. Bodegoes reopening in old Pita Pit.

Would be amazing to see the Woodbine lot developed one day though of course.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 9:54 PM

I see that the space formerly occupied by Chamberlyn's and Garry's Deli in the Shops of Winnipeg Square seem to be subject to renovations. Is anyone aware if a new restaurant is going into this space?

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid-Poster View Post
I see that the space formerly occupied by Chamberlyn's and Garry's Deli in the Shops of Winnipeg Square seem to be subject to renovations. Is anyone aware if a new restaurant is going into this space?
Pretty sure they’re just using that space as construction offices for 300 main.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 11:13 PM

The Oxbow in South Osborne has done a beautiful job restoring a little old building gorgeous brick store front.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 3:06 AM

^ It's definitely beautiful, but I wonder how they've been doing since the Globe savaged them in their recent review?

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 2:11 PM

Jenna Rae Cakes is opening at the Forks Market on June 1. On the 2nd floor by the elevator.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It's definitely beautiful, but I wonder how they've been doing since the Globe savaged them in their recent review?
That review was... weird. Like, "Atmosphere, staff, and drinks were all really good, but I will now gratuitously rip the food menu apart and give the place a one-star rating."

I don't think a restaurant's shortcomings should get a free pass because it's new, or because the young owners and staff are friendly and eager, but you have to wonder what odd angle the reviewer was taking. Some personal issue with the chef? Had a bunch of acidic one-liners saved up?

I've only been in there for drinks, but I'm really impressed with the place. They created a beautiful space, fixed up the exterior, and just have a really great atmosphere. Really hip, but also really friendly and comfortable.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:44 PM

I went on the soft opening, and would say the food was OK – everything else was fantastic (drinks, atmosphere, etc.). As it was the FIRST day they were open, and asking for feedback, I would never take that into consideration when recommending, reviewing or deciding where to go again. That's irresponsible journalism, and seems like there's something else at play here.

Most (credible) restaurant reviewers will never go to a place right away and/or will go several times before writing a review – how else can you try lots of dishes? This guy has reviews on numerous different blogs, so obviously no one is willing to hire him full time or pay well. Speaks volumes.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:32 PM

Wife and I went 3 weeks ago ( can't remember, may have even mentioned it in this thread), and most of the dishes we had were very good. One of them actually blew me away.

Perhaps the reviewer had a pretention fixated on michelin starred restaurants, which usually feature fixed price menus, rather than merely a great place that serves great food.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 2:46 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Herd a rummor remmyshan bought bar Italia

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Who? Remy Shand?

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:34 PM

not a good time to buy it, double shooting last night @ Bar Italia

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
not a good time to buy it, double shooting last night @ Bar Italia
No shit.

Didn't have a clue until now.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
I realize this is just a rumour, but man, that would be a strange turn of events. Despite being hailed as the next big thing in Canadian music, Remy Shand's career essentially stalled after his first album, circa 2002. What has he been doing since then to be in a position to buy a popular bar on Corydon? That can't be cheap.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:37 PM

^ He's still in the industry, isn't he? Songwriter, producer or some such.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:49 PM

Blast from the past haha. wow.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:58 PM

No doubt blast from the past lol He married a girl from the group Sugar Jones that was from Winnipeg.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan