HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 1:26 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2017 in Vancouver

Vancouver is known for its great quality of life, which is not a surprise with mountains and ocean nearby. Enjoying warmer winters than much of the rest of Canada, Vancouver is a great escape from the snow, which is probably why housing prices are so much higher than other Canadian cities further east.

Waterfront station opened in 1914 and saw soldiers depart for Europe in World War I. Today, it is a major commuter hub, with Skytrains and the Seabus connecting here.

The Marine Building opened in 1930 and was, for a short time, the tallest building in the British Empire. The art deco is already quite visible outside, although the interiors were sealed off for the weekend. The elaborate design also meant the project went overbudget, and the building was sold off in 1933 for $900,000 to pay off the mortgage.

Vancouver has a huge Asian community and even street food reflects this diversity. Japadog offers non-standard hot dogs that include Kurobuta sausage, turkey sausage and miso sauce, yakiniku rice, tempura shrimp, and even tonkatsu.

The West End neighbourhood is leafy and lowrise, although change began in the 1970s when the Edwardian houses were gradually replaced by highrises. It actually doesn't feel like a downtown location in here with nice landscaping and fairly sparse traffic.

Back to the waterfront, seaplanes depart for Victoria, the provincial capital on nearby Vancouver Island. Alternatively, if you have a boat parked here, take a longer sea route.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/vancouver.htm

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:23 PM

Ugh, I love this city so much. Living in Seattle, I'm blessed that I can go up so frequently.

I just wish there was a good job scene up there, because I'd move up in a heartbeat!

I realize that real estate is insane in Vancouver city, but are there any reasonable/affordable areas in the metro to buy? I wouldn't be opposed to living in places like Richmond etc.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 6:40 AM

Vancouver is known for its great quality of life, agreed, but what is the cost?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 4:00 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Ugh, I love this city so much. Living in Seattle, I'm blessed that I can go up so frequently.

I just wish there was a good job scene up there, because I'd move up in a heartbeat!

I realize that real estate is insane in Vancouver city, but are there any reasonable/affordable areas in the metro to buy? I wouldn't be opposed to living in places like Richmond etc.
Yes, just need to spread out further along the Skytrain, probably all the way to New Westminster. Richmond is not cheap at all.

Today, Vancouver is a major cruise centre, with a dock at Canada Place right in the heart of the city.

False Creek is close enough to downtown but has comfortably-spaced residential towers and waterfront promenades to make an evening-time walk spectacularly pleasant.

For those with a bigger budget, there are plenty of highrise residentials in Coal Harbour facing a much bigger body of water and mountains beyond.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 12:57 PM
Hong Kong

Richmond is a half hour commute south of downtown Vancouver on the Canada Line and has a heavy Asian influence which accounts for over half the population. What you can eat in Hong Kong you will very likely find here, and at a cheaper price.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 7:25 PM
Gatinois et fier

amazing photos

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 300 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos