HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 11:36 PM

ART Tower (1515 SW Morrison St) | 224' | 20 floors | Complete

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference for 1515 SW Morrison St:

Quote:
A Pre-Application Conference to discuss development on the block owned by the Artist Repertory Theatre. There would be a partial demolition of the existing structure on the north half of the block. The north half of the block would be developed with a new mixed use building. 296 units are proposed and 206 below grade parking spaces. The parking would be accessed from SW Alder. The proposed height is 218 feet. The ground floor retail space is approximately 4,000 square feet. Alterations and improvements to the Artists Repertory Theatre on the south half of the block will be under a separate review/permit approval.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 12:57 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
This is a surprising and potentially exciting proposal. It would be one more step in activating a sleepy section of SW Alder just a block or so from the even larger mixed-use project that will replace the Monte Sheldon building between Burnside and Alder. Also, the Alder side of ART is still pretty brutal despite ART's efforts to tart it up. It seems to invite graffiti. I just wonder what the theater company is planning as they apparently will be demolishing one of its performance spaces as well as rehearsal space.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
one more step in activating a sleepy section of SW Alder
If all the buildings proposed in this part of Goose Hollow actually get built it's going to radically change the area, for the better.

Also: interesting to see a large project being proposed post-IZ. (Riverplace redevelopment is obviously larger, but that requires zoning changes that may or may not happen).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 2:02 AM

^^^ Maybe it's time for a Goose Hollow round-up on Next Portland? ;-)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 5:41 PM

The Goose Hollow website (www.goosehollow.org) has a map of projects here.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 9:29 PM

Wow, that is extremely helpful Rhome, thanks. I can barely keep track of half of what's happening in Portland these days. Have we even covered the Butler Block here?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 7:09 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Wow, that is extremely helpful Rhome, thanks. I can barely keep track of half of what's happening in Portland these days. Have we even covered the Butler Block here?
Same here, with all the stuff going on in my life plus everything that is going on in Portland, it is just too much to keep up on. Throw in all the development going on in Seattle, and the Northwest is just exploding with new development.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 7:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Same here, with all the stuff going on in my life plus everything that is going on in Portland, it is just too much to keep up on. Throw in all the development going on in Seattle, and the Northwest is just exploding with new development.

To be fair we don’t have much big projects. We certainly do have a healthy build going on but what I mean is I wouldn’t say anything from them are really eye popping..

Now Seattle indeed has some eye popping stuff happening. Even Bellevue for that matter..

Now the Riverplace developments is quite interesting, post office when that starts breaking ground then that as well, and if the North Pearl really starts taking off then I’d agree

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhome View Post
The Goose Hollow website (www.goosehollow.org) has a map of projects here.
Wow. That's, what, about 1500 units?. I count about 950 plus Press Blocks plus Butler.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 2:27 PM

Quote:
What's going on with the Butler Block?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 4:33 AM

1501 SW Taylor is turning out a nice building.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
What's going on with the Butler Block?

This is my first time seeing “Butler Block” anywhere and now I’m highly intrigued.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Struggling for Survival, Portland’s Oldest Major Theater Company Is Preparing to Sell Part of Its Property
The sale would change the face of Goose Hollow.

One of Portland's most prominent arts organizations is in financial trouble. And its struggles could change the landscape of the city's West End.

Property and tax records show Artists Repertory Theatre, Portland's oldest professional theater company, is about to bail itself out with the sale of half the full city block it owns in Goose Hollow.

The 36-year-old nonprofit stretched mightily in 2004, paying $4.88 million for the property, which is located between Southwest Alder and Morrison streets and 15th and 16th Avenues. Now the land may provide the company a much-needed life raft.

The good news for theatergoers is that the transaction ART proposes should not affect future productions. The theater will stay where it is, though it may soon abut a 218-foot residential tower with 296 units and 206 parking spaces beneath ground-floor retail.
...continues at the Willamette Week.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:40 AM

Would it be unrealistic to think that ART could negotiate themselves into the new property where they could still occupy all or part of the ground floor of the new building, so in theory they wouldn’t be losing any performing space?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Artists Repertory Theatre Rescued by Largest Donation in the Company’s History
The company will still sell half their theater, but is no longer in dire straights.

Today, Artists Repertory Theatre announced that they received the largest donation in the theater's history.

The $7 million, given by an anonymous donor, comes at a crucial time for the theater. As WW reported last month, the company was so deep in debt, they decided to sell half their building.

According to a press release from the theater, Artists Rep still plans to sell part of their Goose Hollow building. However, the donation will allow the company to pay off the $1.3 million worth of debt the company has accumulated over the past four years due to dwindling ticket sales.
...continues at the Willamette Week.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 1:19 AM

Quote:
How To Spend $7 Million: Artists Rep’s New Reality

What if somebody offered to pay off your mortgage, erase all your credit card debt, student loans — everything? Would it change what you could do with your life? Artists Repertory Theatre in Portland is asking itself these questions, after an anonymous donor gifted the company $7 million.

That much cash — approximately twice the company’s yearly budget — would be an eye-popping gift for any Oregon arts organization. For Artists Rep, it arrived at a catalytic time. This week, the company’s leaders were ready to talk about how they money will be spent. In an open letter to supporters, Artistic Director Damáso Rodriguez laid out the plan.

Spoiler alert No. 1: The company is still selling some of its building.
...continues at OPB.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 4:47 PM

6-1-18 - Design Advice Request
Quote:
Proposed design replaces existing structure on the south half of the block with a mixed use, 20-story high-rise apartment tower. Ground floor features retail, lobby and amentiy spaces. Parking provided below grade.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 12:10 AM

Another inclusionary zoning-subject project being started.

The "IZ isn't working" headlines notwithstanding.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:13 PM

Design advice and construction are two different things. Can't count our chickens until ground is broken

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 6:48 PM

The argument against inclusionary zoning was never that it would shut down all development (clearly it hasn't) but that overall it would mean less housing development (clearly it has) and that in the long run lower rates of housing production would push prices up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland