HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 2:53 AM
JoeCooper

I think the odds are decient. He's building in cities that have lower populations and have smaller skylines then MSP. He is currently spreading his monopoly and building in several cities including; Tampa, Philadelphia, Jersey City, Chicago, and Las Vegas among others. He has proposals in Denver and New Orleans. It's only a matter of time before he get's here, hehehehehe. If he does, I hope he doesn't have a crappy design and I hope he builds a new tallest here in MSP.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 3:32 AM
The True Avatar

Yes. But most of those buildings he is planning are very lackluster at best. If he came out with one like he is proposing for New Orleans or building in Chicago, I would not mind. But the one in Philly and Vegas are pretty lame. If you have seen the Sexton II proposal, that would fit in with Trumps designs.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2006, 7:39 PM

I remember reading an article about Trump's Vegas Tower. However, wasn't that being "developed" by Ivana Trump and not The Donald? Aren't they divorced? Admittedly I don't pay any attention to Trump anymore.

And speaking of Minneapolis, I can't see him coming to Mpls

Old Posted Apr 19, 2006, 10:48 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Since no one has updated Minneapolis/St.Paul lately, here's the latest in brief:

Monte Carlo project: Newly proposed 40-story condominium in the Warehouse district, just a block from the proposed Whole Foods/Two-Twenty-Two 35-story condo/mixed use project and two blocks from the planned two-towered Eclipse condominiums.

The Nicollet: The proposed 56-story condo/office tower got a big boost last week with the report that Hines Interests of Houston has signed on as a partner.

The Carlyle: The 39-story Carlyle condominium tower is continuing construction near the Mississippi river and reached the 25th floor last week.

Jean Nouvel's design for the Tony Award-winning Tyrone Guthrie Theatre has captured attention as testing continued last week on it's innovative LED Marquee towers as well as it's night lighting scheme in preparation for a Grand Opening in late June:

Rumored: There are rumors flying around the Twin Towns that at least one, perhaps two, 1000-foot towers are on the drawing board for downtown Minneapolis. One of the leading candidates for occupancy would be United Health Group Headquarters, 37th on the Fortune 500 list. One possible site the project would occupy is shown here as a ghosted image:

Old Posted Apr 19, 2006, 10:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001
Rumored: There are rumors flying around the Twin Towns that at least one, perhaps two, 1000-foot towers are on the drawing board for downtown Minneapolis. One of the leading candidates for occupancy would be United Health Group Headquarters, 37th on the Fortune 500 list. One possible site the project would occupy is shown here as a ghosted image:
holy fuck!

it looks like i'll have to pay closer attention to this thread. a thousand footer in minneapolis would be perfect.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2006, 11:02 PM
JoeCooper

Thanks for the update Avian001, great rendering too! It's great to hear that Minneapolis has started to pick up on things. The thought of a new tallest soon is more promising by the day. Also, anyone heard the latest and have any recient renderings and height figures of the 40 story approved Penfield Condominium for downtown Saint Paul?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 12:32 AM
The True Avatar

OK Avian! You better not be BSing me! 1 or 2 1000 footers. I know about the possibility of a 40 to 50 story tower adjacent the Foshay. But anyhting else is news to me. But you are more in the know then I am anymore.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 3:48 AM

wow, i checked out all the projects and i am wholly impressed. the cultural institutions are modern but great. and i love the carlyle. very cool city it looks to be.

Old Posted May 4, 2006, 11:15 PM
JoeCooper

Any updates or news on The Penfield or the Nicollet? I heard that the Nicollet is supposd to break ground in June, but just wondering if anyone has heard anything on either projects.

Old Posted May 5, 2006, 12:49 AM
The True Avatar

Nope. Nothing new on either of those projects. A June groundbreaking for the Nicollet is probably very optomistic. I heard August last time, but it is still unknown.

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 12:05 AM
SkyscraperSunset.com

Hi MSP guys. I'm in Fargo now, but I flew into MSP yesterday and had a few free hours to walk around downtown Minneapolis. You guys have some great modern skyscrapers, and I think I've never seen a city with more walkways between buildings passing over the streets. It seems like you could walk across downtown and stay indoors.

Here are a few construction updates on some towers near downtown. I'm not motivated to look up the names, but I'm sure you know what they are.

Also, this made me laugh:

I'll be making a whole photo thread within the next week or so.

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 1:30 AM
JoeCooper

Thanks for the photos and comments MJPhilly! The photos of the building you took that was under construction was of The Carlyle. It is true about what you said with the skyways, they are really cool and I'm glad we have them. We could walk all the way from the south to north end of downtown Minneapolis or Saint Paul and stay indoors if we wanted. Thanks for the photo update.

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 2:50 AM

Actually the first photo is skyscape, the second is the carlyle

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 3:00 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
holy fuck!

it looks like i'll have to pay closer attention to this thread. a thousand footer in minneapolis would be perfect.
Seriously! Can't wait to hear more difinitive plans and see some renderings.

Old Posted May 12, 2006, 1:14 AM
The True Avatar

Well it looks like the Carlyle will be topping out soon. Only 8 more floors to go. Also Skyscape is about half way up.

Old Posted May 16, 2006, 3:51 AM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPhilly
Also, this made me laugh:
I never saw this billboard before. Very funny! Chino Latino Restaurant has had a history of creating some, ummm, provocative advertising.

Anyway, the Milliken/Whole Foods development is sounding better and better.

And the addition of the "W" Hotel to the Zenith development will help make the new "Guthrie/Mill District" a desirable destination for travelers!

It's amazing how this stretch of Washington Avenue has developed into the hottest area of the city.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 5:56 AM
JoeCooper

I just checked that stats for "The Nicollet" on Emporis again and now they say construction will not began until August...

I thought when they bumped ahead to June it was bad enough.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErkU3
Lots of action around Franklin Avenue and 35W these days...

1. Looks like site prep has commenced on the Franklin-Portland Gateway Phase II.

2. The old Franklin Street Bakery building (next to Electric Fetus) is being demolished. Anybody know what's going up?

3. A neat 1904 building at 628 E. Franklin that's been boarded up since I moved here is finally having some work done on it.

All pretty minor projects, I know, but its nice to see the continued development of this area.
Wow. I used to live at 1810 Columbus, and to imagine that neighborhood as getting a facelift is very encouraging. I mean, there was always "Lots of action around Franklin Avenue and 35W", but it usually involved gunfire.

I also used to work at Liquor Depot. I guess with the Metrodome fading away, Ms. Kathy won't have to rent the parking lot out to sportsfans anymore.

I love this thread. I still have mixed feelings about leaving in the first place, more than ten years ago. One question though,

Are these still around and are they still so classy?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2006, 11:49 PM

the liquor depot recently was demolished and there is now a condo project going up on that site.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 4:45 AM
The True Avatar

Also the Ivy will probably be gaining 2 more floors. The new height will be 301 feet. The city just needs to approve it, which should be happening soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations