HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Alexander in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 11:25 PM
BANNED

I'm a bit confused. Is this project effectively on hold, or is it just progressing slowly because of the restoration work they're undertaking? Have they given any indication of when they'll start building?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 12:02 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This tower has effectively been on hold for a year or more but I have not heard any official news lately. The restoration work does seem like a positive sign.

I think this is a pretty key project since the site is so prominent and unsightly.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 4:01 AM
we built this city

Found this via google
http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...1004ca1112.pdf

Looks like they are at least doing work around other parts of the property as well.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Found this via google
http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...1004ca1112.pdf

Looks like they are at least doing work around other parts of the property as well.
Those were for the Patagonia Store in the old Brewery. The store is open, almost finished and looks great.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 7:15 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I wonder if we'll see new renderings this year or early next year. I'd rather a crane tomorrow though.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 8:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Maybe the developers will try to proceed once the Trillium is sold out. The two projects are extremely similar.

Part of the issue with this is that it was approved right around the time of the housing crisis when it was hard to get financing. The developer specifically mentioned this problem and said that they were waiting for the economic climate to improve. I am not sure it has improved overall but the local economy certainly has.

I am optimistic as I said because there's other stuff happening, and they have done other successful developments of similar size recently (Salter's Gate, Letson Court). I guess a realistic best case type of scenario would be construction in the new year.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 3:14 AM
we built this city

Does anybody know Halkirk through any of the development events? Somebody should get the inside scoop.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 3:26 PM

update

According to W.B. (Bill) Greenwood, from the development group for this project, the alexander is still in the planning stages and is expected to be going to market in 2013.... whatever that means...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 4:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Translation: still in planning stages ---> on hold. The news is a little disappointing.

Not sure how much construction work they would start before pre-selling units. The timing seems to vary considerably between developments. I guess this one probably also has a time limit on its DA, maybe 2014 since it was approved around 2009 or so?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 7:15 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

By the end of 2012 there should be some more demand for housing as the shipbuilding begins to take shape. Maybe it will be on the market next year and hopefully under-construction by 2013.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 7:17 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Does anybody know how the Keith Hall restoration work is going? Is it still covered up?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 12:13 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Does anybody know how the Keith Hall restoration work is going? Is it still covered up?
It is still wrapped up. Must be near completion by now.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 7:44 PM

Do they plan to start construction after the restoration project is complete?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 5:27 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

kph06 - thanks for the update.

Others probably know more than I do but the last news I heard about this project was in the November 2 post above. The housing market in Halifax seems to be picking up lately though, so maybe that will mean an accelerated start to the project. The Trillium and King's Wharf have had enough sales to move forward, so presumably there's also demand for units in the Alexander.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
kph06 - thanks for the update.

Others probably know more than I do but the last news I heard about this project was in the November 2 post above. The housing market in Halifax seems to be picking up lately though, so maybe that will mean an accelerated start to the project. The Trillium and King's Wharf have had enough sales to move forward, so presumably there's also demand for units in the Alexander.
I forget where, but I recently read an article (it may have been on here) talking about halifax's future with a big ship building contract and our rather strong economy, talking about how strong the housing market we should expect in the next few years, and not your boom and bust cycle type of growth.

I would love to see this move forward sometime in the near future, I love the design of that building.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 9:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The shipbuilding contract is complicated. I don't think developers will build speculatively (maybe we will see some speculative investing similar to what happens in Toronto/Vancouver), but I do think that the contract will increase local demand, thereby speeding up the sales/leasing of new projects and increasing the amount of new construction. For example maybe 3 condo buildings will be started next year instead of 2. It does seem like a prime time for a development like this that is already good to go.

I like the design too. It will stand out a bit while complementing the Maritime Centre. As I've said before I also think this is an "almost great" neighbourhood that will be a lot more coherent if it gets a couple of new buildings.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 4:39 AM
BANNED

And if the proposed tower at the Cunard site were to go through, a short stream of towers would extend from the Maritime Centre's slant toward the waterfront. With the Purdy Wharf towers on the northern edge of the waterfront, these new southern physical landmarks would help create a more enclosed 'theatre' for the waterfront itself.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 3:04 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Keith Hall restoration work is still covered up.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 3:47 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SekishikiMeikaiHa View Post
Keith Hall restoration work is still covered up.
Thank you for the pictorial update. I am looking forward to seeing the tarps removed and the renovated facade revealed.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 5:13 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I took this picture of Keith Hall a few years ago:

It has been in rough shape for a long time but if the restoration is well-done it should look quite impressive given the detailing. It has pretty unique features (stone portico) and reminds me a lot of large urban houses built during the same period in parts of the UK. It is also part of a heritage streetscape along with Benjamin Weir House, Black-Binney House, Government House, etc. The only other cities in Canada with residential architecture, or really any architecture of this sort of age and quality are Montreal and Quebec City, and they have different building styles. This streetscape is definitely of national significance.

In addition to the plan for the Alexander tower, there are plans for a building called Halkirk House between Keith Hall and Weir House, and there are plans for another building on the corner of Hollis and Bishop. If built, those buildings will complete a nice stretch running from around Salter to Morris.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth