HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ They have till the end of May 2016 to commence construction. I wouldn't get too concerned about this one, considering they've been in review meetings recently just to get the the setbacks and massings right. Takes many months from there to finish designing the plans and finalize things with the contractors.
combusean, thank you for posting this information. Please pardon me for
being nosey but if you don't mind me asking would it be possible for you to share where you heard about the review meetings regarding the setbacks and massings? I have tried to find information about Central Station but I can't ever find any updates. I thought that maybe you might know someone close to the project or you have some good resources? Do you have any links? I've been excited about this project since it was announced and I really hope it's built!
Thanks combusean!
OZ1970

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 9:51 PM

Combusean - also thanks. Good to know all is moving forward. Excited to see when they might come out with the newest plan or rendering. Should be an exciting building!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoboy61 View Post
You haven't seen the final renderings yet. You keep attacking Central Station based off of the initial proposal. You don't know what it looks like now, so it really is a waste of time to post novel length posts about your issues with a development. Despite your endless whining, you don't have a dog in this fight. We all get it, you don't like the old proposal. Move on. You clearly don't have a say in what actually gets constructed.

That's why this argument is so stupid. Obviously the initial rendering and proposal didn't include a grocery store that is now being discussed. The rendering was VERY rough. This thing has changed alot and none of us know what it looks like now.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 6:49 PM

WHEN WILL WE KNOW????? Don't they know we live off of such things?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 8:11 PM
Meh

Exclamation

No personal attacks, guys.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 10:03 PM
BANNED

I for one am excited for central station and what might come of it. Sad that for a few, the gauntlet has been thrown from the first rendering and all we have to hear is the incessant moaning.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 12:24 AM

Construction start date?

It has been several months since anything has been mentioned about Central Station - does anyone have any new details about the project or a possible start date?
Thank you for any information...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 5:59 PM
skyscrapers!

It supposed to start construction this fall. It was originally supposed to break ground this month, but there was clearly a delay. I would imagine that the city will start notifying people who use the transit center of the upcoming construction. It will definitely affect bus operations at that station. I would think these signs would be posted well in advance of any activity there to give riders fair warning.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:06 PM

Sure wish we had a new rendering to look at. I am sure there will be changes.....It's like Christmas, waiting to open that package!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 4:09 AM

Angry

I really wanted to believe this project would happen, but it's looking like yet another failed city RFP.

If construction were to start in the next couple months, the city would already be notifying the public as to plans on where the temporary bus stops would be. I just don't think at this point this project will get off the ground.

Also, we would've gotten updated renderings and articles in the press. Developers of such projects like to promote them as early as possible to get interest from future tenants.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 5:56 PM
Modulator

/\____ I agree...and with the latest comments from Councilman Nowakowski asking for companies to look at Downtown Phoenix to bring a grocery store indicates to me that the last information we read about a possible grocery pad being added to Central Station has fallen through.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Nov 5, 2015 at 11:04 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 10:29 PM
Modulator

So, I did a little further digging after not liking my last reply and found some more renderings that I have not seen before of Central Station. These give a MUCH clearer scope of what we were to get or will get if this still gets built.

The close up of the "garage" shows it's nowhere as big as originally thought. Clearly the top level is a pool area surrounded by apartments on both sides. The bottom level looks to be either more apartments or maybe possible retail.

Also, I had no idea that each level had full walk-out balconies encircling the entire tower. I actually like this more now that I've seen these.

The renderings along with the original 2 we are have already seen many times can be found at http://www.berkelhamer.com/mixed-use-06.php

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:27 AM

I was scrolling through this developer's portfolio, and it looks like one of their projects has a similar garage (at least aesthetically) to the one they plan to build at Central Station... I personally hate it aside from the retail on bottom and the apartments on the top, it would be at least 5 stories of a blank cement box, much like the one they attached to a building in chicago.

Hopefully something slightly more creative and appealing will be in the final design... assuming the project moves forward.

Last edited by Tylerrrr; Nov 6, 2015 at 6:07 AM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrrr View Post
I was scrolling through this developer's portfolio, and it looks like one of their projects has a similar garage (at least aesthetically) to the one they plan to build at Central Station... I personally hate it aside from the retail on bottom and the apartments on the top, it would be at least 5 stories of a blank cement box, much like the one they attached to a building in chicago.

Hopefully something slightly more creative and appealing will be in the final design... assuming the project moves forward.
Agree. Not as against a garage as others, but I wish it were wrapped in retail and has some sort of pattern instead of those hideous white and yellow walls that are proposed.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 8:13 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Agree. Not as against a garage as others, but I wish it were wrapped in retail and has some sort of pattern instead of those hideous white and yellow walls that are proposed.
sadly the city has the mentality of beggars, not choosers. They're so busy trying to please the private sector, they'll bend over and accept anything.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
sadly the city has the mentality of beggars, not choosers. They're so busy trying to please the private sector, they'll bend over and accept anything.
Doom and gloom and death. Or, maybe these are preliminary designs, a work in progress or one of 10 proposals.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 6:23 PM

Tick tock.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 3:59 PM

What's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifice View Post
Tick tock.
Is this project dead or is there just a lot of permitting, red tape, etc. going on?
There is extremely limited information out there about Phoenix Central Station but it seems to me that we would have heard or seen something by now - does anyone out there that's "in the know" have more information about this project?
The last I heard a few months back a 1st quarter 2016 start date was mentioned...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ1970 View Post
Is this project dead or is there just a lot of permitting, red tape, etc. going on?
There is extremely limited information out there about Phoenix Central Station but it seems to me that we would have heard or seen something by now - does anyone out there that's "in the know" have more information about this project?
The last I heard a few months back a 1st quarter 2016 start date was mentioned...
I think it is dead. There was a little information that came out that stated the difficulties of building on the site because they received Obama money for the station originally. I believe it was a couple $M. They were trying to re-purpose some of the stuff elsewhere, but it sounded bad.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 12:39 AM

I don't know why anyone - who still expects this project to be built - would assume design changes are pending. These detailed renderings match the original drawings perfectly -- color me shocked.

The garage seems to be every bit as big as it seemed before... the entire white part of the box structure is parking, a good 80% of the site. It may seem smaller because of the massive setbacks proposed along all 4 sides?

Regardless, I don't see even the slightest change... a single-use tower opening up to a private driveway along Polk, garage w/ minimal commercial along Central and 1st Ave, and a bus-loading/park-n-ride fronting Van Buren... I really don't get why anyone would want to see this happen aside from the allure of a new high-rise.

I have no idea what the yellow space represents... I'd have assumed that was the transit offices, but that wouldn't be needed on both sides. As for the top floor of the garage, I am certain those are not apartments but the residential amenities (fitness, clubhouse). The initial site plan - which this has remained true to - noted "amenities, transit offices" as part of the garage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest