HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 12:14 AM

Downtown - 222 South Main Crane, and the historic and newly refurbished Walker Center Sign by Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
I took these when I was downtown today, the crane is rising.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 6, 2008 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 2:41 PM

Downtown - Salt Lake City's Capitol Theatre Begins Expansion and Renovation

citydata.com

by T-Mac

Capitol Theatre

The Capitol Theatre in downtown Salt Lake City was completed in 1913 and began as the Orpheum Theatre, housing up to 2,000 seats. Capitalization of the project came from the Walker Estate in Salt Lake City. G. Albert Lansburgh, a 36-year-old San Francisco architect, designed the building, whose structure was significant for introducing innovative architectural features in theatre construction. Vaudeville took center stage in the theatre, and movies provided a sideline. The theatre was sold in 1927 to Louis Marcus, a much respected mayor of Salt Lake City and Utah movie pioneer, and when the theatre raised its curtain on September 29, 1927, it had a new name. The Orpheum was now the Capitol Theatre. The "all-talking" picture was introduced to the Capitol Theatre in 1929 and, after another facelift in 1947, movies continued to be the main attraction.

In December 1975, Salt Lake County residents passed an $8.6 million bond to renovate the Capitol Theatre into a performing arts center as part of the Bicentennial Celebration. On October 18, 1978, the curtain at the Capitol Theatre rose again, ushering in a new era of performing arts in Salt Lake City. Since its re-opening, the Capitol Theatre has continued the tradition of exceptional theatre, dance, opera and music. Today, Ballet West and the Utah Opera Company call the theatre home.

ballet west

public art

Salt Lake City has many cultural draws which give it a strong hand when competing to attract major business along the Wasatch Front. One of Salt Lake's Ace's would be it's spectacular Capitol Theatre and World renowned Ballet Company. Recently, much work has been set in motion to help Ballet West maintain it's prestigious status.

Ballet West to put studio downtown

By Leigh Dethman
Deseret Morning News
Ballet West's school and rehearsal space will be moving downtown.
The Salt Lake County Council recently approved a $3.6 million contract to buy land adjacent to the Capitol Theatre, at 52 W. 200 South, with the aim of building a studio for Ballet West. The company had also been considering land in Sugar House on Wilmington Avenue (at about 2200 South and 1250 East) for building offices, studios, costume storage and a warehouse. But now, Ballet West dancers will be able to practice right next to the theater where they perform.
"The ballet's home should be downtown," said Phil Jordan, the county's director of the Center for the Arts.
With the addition of the new studio, the county will also renovate the Capitol Theatre.
The county plans to improve theater seating and sight lines and to expand the lobby and restrooms, Jordan said. The theater also needs some work to make it more accessible for disabled patrons.
Jordan anticipates construction on the studio to begin in about a year. Renovation of the Capitol Theatre, however, will take longer, since "the show must go on," Jordan said. Construction work will move slowly to accommodate the theater's performance schedule.
As part of the deal, the county will own two vacant restaurants on 200 South and also the building housing Benihana and the Blue Iguana. Both eateries would remain open after construction, however, with the county serving as landlord.
But county leaders don't want to be in the restaurant business, and will likely sell the Benihana and Blue Iguana property to another buyer to pay off part of the land purchase, said Darrin Casper, the county's chief financial officer.
The County Council's decision Tuesday could be the first step toward a downtown cultural arts district, several council members said. The idea is gaining momentum among local leaders, who paid for a study in which consultants said that downtown could support more arts venues with more frequent performances.
"This is going to be a wonderful addition to the county and downtown Salt Lake," Councilwoman Jenny Wilson said of the new home for Ballet West and the Capitol Theatre renovation.
Ballet West first approached the Salt Lake City Redevelopment Agency six years ago about the 2.1-acre site in Sugar House. Since then, the ballet company had been raising money and lining up plans for 120,000 square feet of building on the site.
The company raised $12 million in a capital campaign and needs about $8 million more. Donors who committed to the Sugar House site were happy to switch money over to a general campaign that may eventually include the downtown site, Dalton said.
The Capitol Theatre site would not have as much space as Sugar House, but Ballet West would not have to move and could contribute to an eventual arts and cultural district downtown, said Jessica Dalton, a Ballet West spokeswoman.
The city's RDA is considering chipping in some funding for the Ballet West project, but not for the land purchase, said Dave Oka, the city's RDA director. The board will likely discuss the issue at it's next meeting.

ballet west

About Ballet West

Ballet West ranks among the top premier professional ballet companies in North America. With 35 dancers, the company strives to bring new levels of excellence to ballet through innovative choreography, and to present balanced programs that represent a wide range of ballet styles and viewpoints

Ballet West, The Nutcracker
Music by P.I. Tchaikovsky
Choreography by Willam FChristensen

Ballet West, The Sleeping Beauty
Music by P.I. Tchaikovsky
Choreography by Marius Petipa
A commemoration of true love, this timeless classic comes alive on the Capitol Theatre stage. Let the artists of Ballet West take you through the enduring story of a sleeping princess, a handsome prince, and the triumph of good over evil. Brought to life in the artistry of the Ballet West dancers and set to Tchaikovsky’s stirring score, this performance will add a touch of romance to your Valentine’s season.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 5:33 PM

Just a photo bump of a few projects completed Downtown over the past 5-10 years

Olympic Fountain at Gateway

TRAX, Light Rail

Stockton-to-Malone tribute

Westgate Tower

Wells Fargo Tower

all pics. citydata.com

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 1:21 PM

Downtown Views - Cranes & Density by Comrade Reynolds

Some Skyline photos I took today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 5:30 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I was driving on the freeway yesterday and I was cool looking at the salt lake city skyline and seeing the tall cranes. I could now even see the one at 222 South Main now.

Three Cranes that we can now see in the skyline are...
1. 222 South Main
2. Key Bank
3. Tower 1

Cranes coming soon...
1. Towers 6/7
2. Tower 2
3. Tower 5
4. Court House
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 7:40 PM

^^^
You're enthusiam is always infectious Projects. This is going to be a great next few years for our little corner of the forum, as all of these projects now start to rise from the ground. Wow, I'm glad we have a good group of guys like yourself, who enjoy recording the progress with a lot of great pics.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 1:00 AM

Tower Crane Next to Key Bank Bldg

Great Pics. Thanks to all of you. I do have a question, however. Why is the tower crane on the south side of the Key Bank Bldg so high? I realize the crane must be taller than the adjacent Key Bank Bldg. if it were going to pivot. But there is no high-rise construction planned for that area. Smaller, transportable cranes could be used for the mall reconstruction. Also, the space directly to the west is open space. Is the Key Bank Tower to be re-skinned or is there another, more obvious explanation that I am missing????

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:32 PM

Downtown and Adj. University of Utah by Stevena07

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
Ok, the first time I did this my computer crashed. Ill try it again for you guys

Here are a few updates for well now yesterday March 7th

The nes Trax extension along 300 West is almost done!

The new TRAX, 'Gateway Station'

Prep work on plot across street from Oldfellows Hall (Oldfellows Hall is to be jacked up, moved across the street, and turned 180 degrees.) Current location of Oldfellows is to be a part of the new Federal Courts Structure.

Oldfellows Hall, they are currently digging around the building in order to move it.

The site of the new Courthouse expansion

Metro Condos nearing completion

This is a Social Science extension at the U, under construction

Med Center expansion at the U from a distance

There are a total of 3 cranes on campus at the U; The Library, a geology building and the hospital. And a total of at least 6 buildings going up on campus. Ill have to carry my crappy camera around one day

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 2:19 PM

jacobsen construction
Downtown Adj. - University of Utah - Warnock Engineering Building - Newly Completed

jacobsen construction
The Warnock Engineering Building was built to provide a 21st century facility to house the University of Utah's Engineering and Computer Science departments. Dedicated to the spirit of exploration and discovery, the facility promises to foster new generations of pioneers in science and engineering. With a total internal area of 100,000 square feet the facility expands the SCI Institutes's usable space to around 25,000 square feet with SCI occupying the top two and a half floors of the building. The style of construction emphasizes open space and glass instead of solid walls. The offices on the perimeter of the building feature floor to ceiling windows with stunning views of the Salt Lake valley and Wasatch Mountain range. From outside the building, the beautiful glass facade casts a shimmering reflection of the surrounding mountains and clouds.

In addition to providing offices for the Institutes's faculty, scientists, developers and staff, the space also includes four student research labs with facilities for about 60 students. We also have a common kitchen, cafe, and several meeting areas where people can work together. The open environment provides an ideal atmosphere for community interaction and collaborative work.

pics courtesy of xrob.org

example of interior treatment by artist Rob Fisher
Skybridge, 2007
Etched and photo-screened glass, painted steel, architectural light pipe and LED
42" x 45'

utah arts council

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFPCME View Post
Great Pics. Thanks to all of you. I do have a question, however. Why is the tower crane on the south side of the Key Bank Bldg so high? I realize the crane must be taller than the adjacent Key Bank Bldg. if it were going to pivot. But there is no high-rise construction planned for that area. Smaller, transportable cranes could be used for the mall reconstruction. Also, the space directly to the west is open space. Is the Key Bank Tower to be re-skinned or is there another, more obvious explanation that I am missing????
I had understood, that since the crane is already there, it will often be faster, more flexible and cost effective to use it for elements to the northwest. Also, as the project progresses and becomes denser,tighter and more complicated thoroughout, this taller,sturdier crane with expansive rotation and reach, will have the flexibility of unbridled elbow room at a moments notice, without a lot of downtime setups. Isn't fast-track glorious!

Last edited by delts145; Mar 8, 2008 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 2:55 AM

Makes absolute sense

Thank you for your detailed, logical explanation for the use of the tower crane (adjacent to the Key Bank tower) at the CCC site. A dense construction site, set-up and tear-down time, and all the other reasons you mentioned make the use of the tower crane seem like a good choice.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:26 PM

Salt Lake City Metro - T.O.D. Update by Arkhitektor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Some pics of construction on the Birkhill Development at the 4500 S. TRAX Station in Murray:

This building is the first of several mid-rise condos, offices, townhomes, and brownstone-style live/work rowhouses that will eventually be built there.

http://www.hamlethomes.com/communiti...le.aspx?cid=18

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFPCME View Post

Thank you for your detailed, logical explanation for the use of the tower crane (adjacent to the Key Bank tower) at the CCC site. A dense construction site, set-up and tear-down time, and all the other reasons you mentioned make the use of the tower crane seem like a good choice.
Well, I hope I made some sense RFPCME. Sometimes, what's in my head and what I write gets lost in translation.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:46 PM

Salt Lake City - Among the City's Many Historic, Architectural, Performing Art's Jewels - Kingsbury Hall Theatre.

Restored, and Expanded,

Brian Davis

Bringing both new and old acts to Salt Lake, this grand building has been the place for performances (musical and theatrical) for decades. Its location in the center of the University of Utah may explain its popularity with the youth of Salt Lake, but mature residents have enjoyed the shows through the years, as well. Whether it is a Broadway musical or pop concert, this is the home for all.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 9, 2008 at 1:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:46 PM

Downtown - Stage is set for one or two major theatrical additions - Legendery Pantages to be restored!

SLC gets into gear on 'grand theater'/ Mayor recruits his Broadway-fame brother to 'make it happen fast'

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8403366?source=rv

Deseret Morning News, Drawing shows revamped Utah Theater in Salt Lake.

Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker announces the city's plans for a Broadway-style theater and the appointment of his brother, William Becker, to spearhead the theater development plan. (Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Morning News)

...Bill Becker, who has volunteered his services, spent 30 years as legal counsel at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. Since 2001, his company TheatreDreams has co-produced four Broadway productions; acquired, restored and operated The Chicago Theatre; and managed the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles.
"I have been effectively commissioned to make it happen and make it happen fast," said Bill Becker, who praised Salt Lake City for its "extraordinary advantages" as a cultural hub.

Related Story:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...257471,00.html

Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Morning News

Last edited by delts145; Mar 9, 2008 at 1:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 2:46 PM

Deseret Morning News
Pantages Theatre Continued...

Historical Perspective
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Here are some images of the Utah/Pantages, all images are from the Utah State Historcial Societies web site.

Exterior

Dome Detail

Ceiling

Lobby

Interior

Flooring

Seating

Stage

Foyer

Lobby Entrance

Today, Awaiting New Lease-ON-Life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post

You be the judge...

photos posted by Wyatt Anderson

Last edited by delts145; Mar 12, 2008 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 11:15 PM

Wasatch Front Metro / Ogden - Salt Lake City - Provo - 2.2 million

Beautiful Romanesque Jewel is Saved...."The most important fact about the Maeser School today? It still stands"... Newly Completed

Maeser School's history runs deep in Provo

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/258210/17/

Jason Olson, Deseret Morning News

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 4:38 AM
Bring out the cranes...

222 South Main Updated Photos by T-Mac!
Not sure where delts is at so I'm going to have to post these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Photos from today. I went a little trigger happy with the camera.

222 S Mains neighbor the Karrick Building

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 4:41 AM
Bring out the cranes...

City Creek Center updated photos from T-Mac!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Photos from today. I again went trigger happy with the camera. Hope you guys don't mind.

Lots of Rebar

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 5:43 AM

Thanks bud for posting T-Mac's latest. I love that pic of the Well Fargo tower with the crane in the Foreground. Also glad he caught an excellent pic of the brick on the Karrick building. The particular color,style and patina on that brick is a favorite of mine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations