HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 3:13 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
That I know lol. I’m just wondering how moderators know that multiple accounts belong to the same person. (K Tête Carrée and Square Head, this one’s obvious, but what about other ones?)

=========

Back to topic. Would the shops be relocated? If yes, where? Also isn’t Confederation Line supposed to take away some of the traffic? Or do we need to wait for it to stretch from Trim to Palladium to see the effect?

Or does 50% ~ 75% of people living in Ottawa simply need a car for work (i.e. plumbers, painters, sales, you name them)?
Usually IP addresses are used to track down multiple accounts, sometimes other factors. Most banned users don't hide and use similar usernames, posting style, IP address etc.

===========

The PIC presentation says permanent property impacts and shows a crane where the buildings are. The property owners and business owners would be compensated through the expropriation process. It would be tough to find a matching spot for the bike/skate rental shop, since the benefit is being right by the canal.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Back to topic. Would the shops be relocated? If yes, where? Also isn’t Confederation Line supposed to take away some of the traffic? Or do we need to wait for it to stretch from Trim to Palladium to see the effect?

Or does 50% ~ 75% of people living in Ottawa simply need a car for work (i.e. plumbers, painters, sales, you name them)?
The Confederation line might cause a slight boost in ridership (and thus a decrease in traffic) but considering Ottawa’s transit usage was well above average for a city it’s size in Canada (or North America). As a result, I don’t think anyone (at least no one in the know) expected it to increase modal share. It’s primary purpose was to increase capacity to allow it to keep up with the city’s growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
The PIC presentation says permanent property impacts and shows a crane where the buildings are. The property owners and business owners would be compensated through the expropriation process. It would be tough to find a matching spot for the bike/skate rental shop, since the benefit is being right by the canal.
Exactly. The owner of the property will receive money for it and can use that money to buy another location, if they want. Not sure if the bike shop owns the store or is just leasing. If the latter, I don’t believe they will be eligible for any compensation. Even if they do find a new location, moving isn’t cheap and some of their customers may not know where they moved to, resulting in a loss of business.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post

Exactly. The owner of the property will receive money for it and can use that money to buy another location, if they want. Not sure if the bike shop owns the store or is just leasing. If the latter, I don’t believe they will be eligible for any compensation. Even if they do find a new location, moving isn’t cheap and some of their customers may not know where they moved to, resulting in a loss of business.
I'm a bit surprised the NCC doesn't allow at least one bike repair shop to be located on NCC lands next the canal, similar to the small bistros that are popping up.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 1:05 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
For reference, "Tete Carre" and "Square head" were accounts created by a user that's been banned probably 20+ times for creating multiple accounts and trolling.
Thank you.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 8:17 PM
National Capital Region

Harmer Ped Bridge installation Oct 19-20. Full highway closure Sat 6PM-Sun 11AM
https://ottawa.ca/en/news/section-hi...end-october-19

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 12:44 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Section of Highway 417 will close for work on pedestrian bridge

Luke Carroll, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: October 8, 2019

Traffic will be impacted on the weekend of October 19 as a section of Highway 417 will be closed for work on the Harmer Avenue Pedestrian Bridge.

The section will be closed to traffic going both directions as workers install the truss for the bridge, the City of Ottawa said in a news release.

Eastbound on-ramps to the highway will be closed at Carling Avenue, Parkdale Avenue and Maitland Avenue.

Westbound on-ramps to the highway will be closed at Bronson Avenue, Rochester Street, Parkdale Avenue, Lyon Street and O’Connor Street, the city said.

The following detours will be in place:

Westbound
  • Westbound motorists must exit the highway at Bronson Avenue, onto Catherine Street
  • Proceed via Catherine Street, which becomes Raymond Street, westbound to Booth Street
  • Proceed via Booth Street southbound to Carling Avenue
  • Proceed via Carling Avenue westbound to the westbound Highway 417 on-ramp at Carling Avenue, west of Kirkwood Avenue and the fire station.

Eastbound
  • Eastbound motorists must exit the highway at Carling Avenue and continue east to Bronson Avenue
  • Proceed via Bronson Avenue northbound to Chamberlain Avenue
  • Proceed via Chamberlain Avenue eastbound to Isabella Street
  • Proceed via Isabella Street eastbound onto the eastbound Highway 417 on-ramp at Metcalfe Street

The city advised the public to plan all trips in advance and to expect delays.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...estrian-bridge

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 3:52 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_427 View Post
I've been working on a traffic volume map for the last several months and I'm at the point where I'm ready to make it public. I'm not finished yet, I'm working my way across Canada and I just finished Ontario, moving on to Quebec. It should be pretty straight forward to use, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...9760000005&z=4

If you scroll to the bottom of the column on the left, you can select another set of layers that shows my recommended freeway and expressway network based on my own criteria. Again still a work in progress. Have fun!

Also I can't find traffic data for Newfoundland anywhere. I've emailed the transportation department and haven't received a response. If anyone knows how to access this data, please let me know.
Really cool map posted on the Canada forum

The 417 east seems to be one of the busier four-lane sections for the 400 series highways (2016 AADT)

Hunt Club to Walkley - 65,600
Walkley to Innes - 74,000
Innes to 174 - 108,200

I don't remember seeing this link earlier. It includes the work taking place this summer like the new Ramsayville Road overpasses (which will be wide enough for a future third lane, same with the CNR bridge and other works) and slight 417 realignment.

https://www.highway417-aviationtohun...ations-en.html

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 12:02 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Bridge on Wheels: Harmer Avenue bridge rolling down Highway 417

CTVNewsOttawa.ca staff
Published Friday, October 18, 2019 3:13PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, October 18, 2019 7:07PM EDT

They're loaded on trucks and ready for the final destination over Highway 417 at Harmer Avenue, just west of Parkdale Avenue

The steel trusses for the new Harmer Avenue Pedestrian Bridge will be installed over the weekend.

The new bridge is replacing a rusty 60-year-old chain link fence crossing which was was at the end of its life span.

The crossing is important as it links the Civic Hospital neighbourhoods with Hintonburg, West Wellington, and Westboro.

Steel trusses were manufactured in Montreal and placed on flat bed trailers for the journey to Ottawa.

A portion of Highway 417 will be closed from Saturday, October 19 at 6 pm to Sunday, October 20 at 11 am.

City of Ottawa Project Manager Elizabeth Murphy says the bridge will be ready for use next June.

"Over the next 9 months, we're going to be fitting it up with all the architectural features, the floor, the glass panels, the lighting," said Murphy.

The two combined trusses weigh 65 tonnes.

The installation will start around 5 p.m. Saturday with ramp closures.

VIDEO

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/bridge-on-...-417-1.4645002

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 1:56 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Jeff Leiper is tweeting the Harmer Avenue pedestrian bridge erection:

https://twitter.com/JLeiper

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 2:11 AM

The old bridge had the sign for the Island Park exit attached to the bridge structure. Any idea if the new one will be the same? Or will the cantilever structure holding the exit sign remain there after?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 4:45 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

No wonder traffic was forced off the 417 for certain segments last night.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 2:43 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

All from: https://twitter.com/JLeiper

Thank you Jeff!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 2:45 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 2:42 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 12:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctv...1_4735853.html

417 over Trillium Line will be shut down next July for bridge replacement. Will the new overpass be wide enough to leave space for a second track??

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:

417 over Trillium Line will be shut down next July for bridge replacement. Will the new overpass be wide enough to leave space for a second track??
I assume so - GeoOttawa shows double tracking as far south as Aberdeen Street.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:

I don't have a link, but I remember reading in one of the project documents that they will leave room for double track.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveat.doctor View Post
Here's the Harmer pedestrian bridge, from Harmer Av S, just last week. It's coming along! Hopefully all done by summer for my by-then 1 year old to take first steps across to the Fisher Park splash pad.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 2:28 PM

Ad in the paper this morning... online Public Info Centre for the midtown 417 bridge replacement project starts today... info is available online: https://www.highway417-midtownbridge....com/home.html

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 3:07 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Highway 417 closure expected to cause significant delays March 14 to 15

Aedan Helmer, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: March 4, 2020

A section of Highway 417 will be closed in both directions over the weekend of March 14 and 15, and is expected to have a “significant” impact on traffic as crews work to replace the Nicholas Street underpass.

The eastbound on-ramps at Nicholas and Metcalfe streets will also close, but all other ramps in the area will remain open.

Motorists are warned to expect lane reductions and ramp closures beginning at 5 p.m. Saturday, March 14, with the full closure of Highway 417 scheduled to be in place by 6 p.m.

The closure is required, according to city and Ministry of Transportation officials, to install six steel girders across the roadway as part of the MTO’s Nicholas Street underpass replacement.

The work is weather-dependent, and in the event of inclement weather, the closures will be rescheduled for the following weekend, March 21 to 22.

A map and list of detours in effect during the closure is available at ottawa.ca:

Westbound detour:

Westbound motorists must exit the highway at Nicholas Street and Mann Avenue.
– Keep right for Mann Avenue
– Turn left on Greenfield Avenue
– Turn left to the westbound Highway 417 on-ramp

Eastbound detour:

Eastbound motorists must exit the highway at Nicholas Street and Lees Avenue.
– Turn left on Lees Avenue
– Turn left to the eastbound Highway 417 on-ramp

Detour for 417 eastbound on-ramp at Nicholas:

From Gatineau: Motorists coming across the Macdonald-Cartier or Alexandra bridges from Gatineau to access eastbound Highway 417 should proceed to St. Patrick Street.
– Turn right on Vanier Parkway
– Bear right onto the eastbound Highway 417 on-ramp

From ByWard Market: Motorists coming from the ByWard Market to access eastbound Highway 417 should travel east on Rideau Street.

From Sandy Hill: Motorists coming from Sandy Hill to access eastbound Highway 417 should proceed north on Nicholas Street.
– Continue north on Waller Street
– Turn right on Rideau Street

From the downtown core, west of the Rideau Canal: Motorists coming from the downtown core to access eastbound Highway 417 should proceed eastbound on Laurier Avenue.
– Turn left on Charlotte Street
– Turn right on Rideau Street

Detour for 417 eastbound on-ramp at Metcalfe:

Motorists should travel eastbound on Isabella Street.
– Turn right on Elgin Street
– Bear left onto Hawthorne Avenue and cross the Pretoria Bridge
– Turn right on Main Street
– Turn left on Lees Avenue
– Turn left to the eastbound Highway 417 on-ramp

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/highw...march-14-to-15

https://queenswayexpansioneast.com/4...las-underpass/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation