HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

The Independent at Main in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 2:43 PM

I was amused to see this thread being cited by opponents of the project:

Quote:
Developers to unveil revamped Mount Pleasant condo plan
Rize development at Broadway and Kingsway to house 500
CBC News Posted: Jul 17, 2013 6:39 AM PT Last Updated: Jul 17, 2013 6:38 AM PT

The developers behind a controversial condo project planned for Vancouver's Mount Pleasant neighbourhood are expected to unveil a new look for the site today.

But Stephen Bohus with Residents Association Mount Pleasant doesn't think the new plan fits.

"This tower is exactly the same height, and they've made it taller by adding trees to the top of the building,” he said.

“It's still a modern glass building, and if you look at their own critics from the development community, it's not getting good marks even on the pro-highrise skyscraper forum.”
Source: CBC

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
Looks like they lost of a lot of commercial space. I wonder if a grocery store is no longer in the cards? Issues with loading perhaps?
Maybe with a Buy-Low across the street, an IGA up Main Street, a No Frills down Broadway, Urban fare at OV, and a major grocery cluster at Broadway & Cambie, they couldn't find another operator willing to come to the neighbourhood. The only ones missing are Choices, Thrifty's (=Sobeys = Safeway) and PriceSmart (= Save-on-Foods).

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 8:46 PM

Methinks this might be too close to Whole Foods for Choices. Similar niche, similar products, not-so-different price point.

Also, if a building design being unpopular on this website were an impediment to its construction, very few new buildings would be made in Vancouver.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWester View Post
Also, if a building design being unpopular on this website were an impediment to its construction, very few new buildings would be made in Vancouver.
If it depended on dleung's approval then most of the city would have to be town down

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 4:35 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

I like the project overall so ya ... thanks CBC ... ha!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 3:06 PM
testify

i say build the broadway street fronting side another taller by 4-5 stories, and build the north/south alley out completely, ugly and and unnecessary.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Maybe with a Buy-Low across the street, an IGA up Main Street, a No Frills down Broadway, Urban fare at OV, and a major grocery cluster at Broadway & Cambie, they couldn't find another operator willing to come to the neighbourhood. The only ones missing are Choices, Thrifty's (=Sobeys = Safeway) and PriceSmart (= Save-on-Foods).
From my understanding of a lot of the major grocers, if they don't have a presence in the area and the rest of the competition is there, they still want to be there regardless... they just want a piece of the pie.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 4:28 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

There was supposed to be a food co-op going in, that's what was sold to the public, it doesn't look like the co-op was able to get the financing they needed though last I heard.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 10:58 AM

This project had my support, height, density, I was all in. After listening to Chris Vollan, vice president of Rize Alliance, lie to us on a radio interview regarding the building materials being used for this building - using building materials consistent with the Mt. Pleasant neighborhood - when the building is being clad with cheap metal panels, I have to retract my support for this project. At this point my support goes towards a nice lawn and a few park benches. I hope this project under this company never happens. Pure arrogance.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 12:44 AM

FRom BIV:

Quote:
Rize surprises city hall with Mount Pleasant tower changes;
By Peter Mitham

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:01am PST

Rize surprise

The elimination of 34,000 square feet of retail space and its replacement with 95 new residential units in Rize Alliance Properties Ltd.’s project at Kingsway and Broadway is stirring concern – and not just in the surrounding Mount Pleasant neighbourhood.

Brian Jackson, general manager, planning and development for Vancouver, has recommended that the Rize proposal for the site – which underwent a controversial and hotly debated rezoning last year – receive extra scrutiny in light of the change of uses.

“The changes caught us by surprise, and therefore there are some good things and there are things that are causing us concern,” Jackson explained last week. “We have to look at the implications of that before I felt it was advisable to send it on.”

Consideration by the city’s urban design panel and development permit board of Rize’s application to redevelop the site with a mixed-use project including a 22-storey tower and 336 units of housing has consequently been deferred indefinitely.

Of particular concern is the elimination of commercial space previously slated for a co-op grocery store.

Word from the developer is that the food co-op was unable to secure financing for the space; Rize opted to eliminate the retail space rather than lease the space to a brand-name grocer that it felt the community didn’t want.

Rize vice-president Chris Vollan downplayed the extra scrutiny the project is receiving.

“Nothing too interesting to report,” he wrote this columnist last week. “City staff have asked for additional time to review the proposal, and I’m hoping we will be back on track pretty quickly.”

Jackson, however, declined to suggest when the project might proceed.
http://www.biv.com/article/20130820/...all-with-mount

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:51 PM

Development Permit Board Meeting for this was scheduled for Sept 23, 2013 but it was cancelled. No new date has been set yet.

Source: City of Vancouver Development Permit Webpage for 285 East 10th Avenue - Rize Alliance - DE416894

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 5:48 PM

Looking east towards Kingsgate mall

Photo credit: me

One of the buildings on this site was recently demolished.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 6:31 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

WOW! great great news thanks!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
WOW! great great news thanks!
I am in the white building just south of the recent demolition. (I guess our building will be next) I noticed today they put up fencing around the parking lot to the west of Watson. A surveyors truck has been parked all day.

Is that area part of the development?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
[IMG]...[/IMG]

[IMG]...[/IMG]

[IMG]...[/IMG]
Looking east towards Kingsgate mall

Photo credit: me

One of the buildings on this site was recently demolished.
wasn't it damaged from a fire several year ago?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 1:36 AM

I received an email about this project from Rize a few days ago:

Quote:
Dear Neighbour,
After years of consultation with the community and the city, we are excited to announce that on or about Monday, March 24, 2014 we will begin construction of our Real Estate Presentation Centre at 2500 Main Street (at Broadway).
It is important to know that the construction of the Presentation Centre does not represent the beginning of sales efforts, although we are optimistic that our development permit will be approved and sales will commence this fall or early next year. To meet our timeline, it’s critical that we begin initial work now.
We thank you for your past and future support of our project and we’re confident that it will be a positive contribution to the vibrant culture and community already alive and well in Mount Pleasant.
Finally, we are happy to announce that we will be holding a city managed Community Open House in April to provide more detailed information on changes that were made to our Development Permit Application following community input last year. Details of this will be posted on the City of Vancouver’s website.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
I received an email about this project from Rize a few days ago:
You mean this parking lot?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
You mean this parking lot?
Yeah, must be that one - explains why Yakpi noted that it's fenced off now.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 7:16 AM

Is the parking lot going to eventually be a part of the development or is it just going to be the presentation center? Would be nice if they could throw in a provision for a future station or station house somewhere in those intersections.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 7:24 PM

The project lies only to the east of the alley.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver