HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 3:18 PM

MOLINE, IL | Bass Street Landing Mixed Use (and new tallest) | 20 FLOORS | PRO

Developer aims to alter Moline's skyline

Moline officials and Quad-City developer Rodney Blackwell announced plans this morning for a mixed-use high-rise that will complete the Bass Street Landing project in downtown Moline and could bring more than $50 million in investment to the community.
Bowman said Blackwell has changed the “design and scope” of the building somewhat from his announcement made last spring about the project. Bowman said the high-rise could be up to 20 stories tall, which he said would make it the tallest building in Moline. In addition, he said the building would be “mixed-use, with luxury condominiums on the top floors, offices in the middle, and the lower levels, including ground level, will be retail.”
http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007...1502514770.txt

While visiting the parents in my old hometown of Moline, IL on the Mississippi River, I heard about plans to build a mixed use development on the river that at 20 stories would be the tallest building in Moline.
The current record holder is the 168ft, 15 story LeClaire hotel built in 1921.

The building would have 3 floors of retail, 9 floors of Class A office space for elevator company Kone, and 8 floors of luxury condos with great river views.

Yes, in the global scheme of things this is pretty minor news, but how often do I get to post a thread about Moline?
Life has returned to a riverfront downtown that was given up for dead. It's become an entertainment and residential destination, something I never would have thought possible 10 years ago. It's great to see new development reviving an old downtown area.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 3:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ that's pretty cool.

would this be a new tallest for the quad cities as well, or just the new tallest in moline? what is the current tallest building in the quad cities? i'm guessing it's in davenport?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 3:46 PM
BANNED

Is Kone Elevators based in Moline? Also, does he have them signed as an anchor tenant? If so, it seems like the construction of this building is practically guaranteed.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 4:25 PM
Closed account

Moline has some pretty ambitious plans including a future urban WIU extension campus along with transit oriented development. Molines downtown is quite nice but you cant tell from the interestate driving through. This project makes sense if Kone locates offices there, they are planning a new bridge in the future that might take the current offices down. Its nice to see Moline doing good where Davenport takes a step forward but always another two backward.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 5:09 PM

The tallest building in the Quad Cities is Davenport's Wells Fargo Bank Building.

It's either 240ft or 255ft to the top of the clock tower, I've got conflicting info.
So I don't think this will best that, but it would definitely be 2nd place, and the tallest on the Illinois side.

Kone is globally headquartered in Findland. Moline is their US headquarters. But the article said the headquarters is actually moving to Lisle, but they would keep major Moline operations and be the anchor tenant for this building.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 5:41 PM

Montgomery Elev. Bldg.

Kone is in Moline because they took over Moline's Mongomery Elevator Co. Coming across the I-74 bridge (I grew up in Davenport), you get an eyeful of Mongomery's very unusual hq building, which is a few floors of office on top of a big elevator shaft -- think lil' smokey on a toothpick. The wikipedia page on KONE has a picture of the Montgomery building near the bottom of the entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KONE

Didn't Robert Venturi write something "learning from las vegas" about how it is a good thing for buildings to function in part as advertisements? Well, Montgomery Elevator is a great example: "Look, our elevators are so good and safe, we wouldn't even want to be able to get to our offices without pointlessly riding one!"

Too bad main N. Am. hq is moving to Lisle. Even with KONE serving as anchor of new building, it is not so good to lose top mgmt.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 5:51 PM

Yes, you're right. Is there any better building for an elevator company than this?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 8:23 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Moline has a skyline to alter?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 12:04 AM
THAT Guy

It's good to see some highrise development in IL outside of the Chicago region.

I also forgot how cool their old building is.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 7:02 AM

I wish there would be some development in downtown Peoria.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 1:19 PM
Closed account

Its not a Peoria Thread but Peoria does have some development going on, though its taking way too long such as the Caterpillar Visitors Center and Relocated Lake Museum. Across the river in East Peoria they just built and Embassy Suites and an 11 floor office building. Still the style most of this is developed in central Peoria is not far from a suburban style. I thought I heard that Peoria is looking to expand its warehouse loft/condo district in the near future as well. It has a good amount of warehouses left unused.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 3:11 PM
(Middle-Island)

This has always held my award for radical strangeness. (Niagara Falls, Canada)

But congratulations. This is even stranger...

must make for an interesting skyline anyway

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 6:08 PM

The fabulous Moline skyline!
(Does two buildings make a skyline?)

You can see it here, at Christmas time they helicopter lift a giant evergreen Christmas tree to the top of the Kone tower.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenIL_LA View Post
Its not a Peoria Thread but Peoria does have some development going on, though its taking way too long such as the Caterpillar Visitors Center and Relocated Lake Museum. Across the river in East Peoria they just built and Embassy Suites and an 11 floor office building. Still the style most of this is developed in central Peoria is not far from a suburban style. I thought I heard that Peoria is looking to expand its warehouse loft/condo district in the near future as well. It has a good amount of warehouses left unused.
Yea I was just commenting on how someone said it was nice to see some development in Illinois outside of Chicago. Peoria has really tried to pump life into downtown and the riverfront, but IMO they need to have a couple reasonably priced high rise apartment complexes downtown to attract the younger crowd to the downtown area. There is actually some development going on in Champaign, but this is a great project for Moline...and I have seen that Kone building and wondered what the junk it was.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 10:31 PM

This is good news. Davenport has really been pushing residents to move into the new loft-type apartments downtown, and it looks like the Illinois side is doing the same. Moline has done a nice job around The Mark (I think it's since changed names) It would be nice to see John Deere invest into something like this too. They could definetly consolidate some of their offices around the Quad Cities area.

Always love hearing about my hometown!! I'll definetly keep tabs on this one when I go visit my parents.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 1:27 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Thanks for posting this good news.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 1:54 AM

Fantastic for the Quads!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 3:25 AM

KONE aims high at Bass Street Landing

"Today we announce a $50 million project that will not only compliment the existing downtown development, but it will clearly shape the skyline of Moline in the future," said Moline Mayor Don Welvaert.

"The city, state, KONE and developer are working together to try to put the package together to make this happen," Mayor Welvaert said. "I'm very, very positive we'll get this done."

Blackwell would like to break ground in February 2008, with about an 18-month construction period to follow."

Just another (slightly dated) news tidbit.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 3:32 AM
BANNED

Thats a nice tower.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 3:39 PM

http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007...2168737623.txt

Moline to help finance replacement for Kone's buildings
Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Quote:
The Moline City Council agreed Tuesday night to sell $7.5 million in bonds to fund a loan to developer Rodney Blackwell, managing principal of Financial District Properties K.P., so he can purchase downtown buildings owned by Kone, the elevator company involved in the deal.
City Administrator Lew Steinbrecher said the agreement Blackwell reached with Kone calls for the company to lease space in Blackwell’s new office tower and for Blackwell to purchase all of Kone’s downtown properties.

“He approached the city because the city can borrow funds at lower interest rates,” Steinbrecher said.

Steinbrecher and Jeff Lester, city law director, said the city normally is not the primary lender in such a project. But in this instance, Kone, a major Moline employer, likely would have moved out of the city had the agreement not been made for it to move into the new tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive