HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Has this shown up yet?
Yeah, first truck was here this morning. More will be coming this week. Wont see anything going up until later this week.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 12:39 AM

Cams

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 7:53 PM

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 7:56 PM

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Normally people, including myself when I drive, wait until they get through the intersection before getting in curb lane. Now everybody's in that lane and holding up my bus!

A bad spot is on Henderson at Hespeler heading into downtown. Police sit in the back lane and bust people. I'm all for it. It's those self righteous, entitled people. I want to smash them sometimes haha

Also, today was especially bad for me in the self righteous thing. Nobody would let me exit Tim's lot! So I pulled right up to the car, headlights in their face. lol
Lol!

And I'd counter you by saying it's a very restrictive/inefficient way for the road to be governed

But why would it bother you? I mean, many of these laws seem downright arbitrary most of the time, and I'll admit, sometimes my precious time and associated obligations are far more important than offeding an unaffected party in a victimless crime. Sometimes, it's like not coming to a compleeeete stop at a stop sign.

I'm obvioulsy self-righteous about this and don't mind owning it... but I've got places to be and work to do, so I sometimes make a judgment call. If others do the same, hell I wish them the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I think the fact that they're interested in offloading it is probably good news. It frees up capital to take on other projects and there are plenty of lots to fill up downtown.
Bingo. Making money is literally their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
They're insane. Why did they build it then? Maybe their share price recently reflects their error.
Wouldn't say that at all. Quite simply, it was always a strong enough asset to hold, but high quality residential is desirable even if it yields slightly lower, ergo buyers might be willing to pay a sexy premium. Why not sell and keep making more money?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 7:16 AM

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Lol!

And I'd counter you by saying it's a very restrictive/inefficient way for the road to be governed

But why would it bother you? I mean, many of these laws seem downright arbitrary most of the time, and I'll admit, sometimes my precious time and associated obligations are far more important than offeding an unaffected party in a victimless crime. Sometimes, it's like not coming to a compleeeete stop at a stop sign.

I'm obvioulsy self-righteous about this and don't mind owning it... but I've got places to be and work to do, so I sometimes make a judgment call. If others do the same, hell I wish them the best
haha. The purpose of the diamond lane is so buses can drive more efficiently. One way to manage that and still allow people to turn is to restrict people from driving through intersections. It makes sense to me.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 10:57 PM

A bunch of panels on the Main Street side of the Scotiabank atrium have been removed and it looks like they're building the new access doors to the bank.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:12 AM
Winnipeg

I believe this will be one of the most modern buildings in downtown after completion.

But who knows? Probably, during its course of construction, a new project with even more modern design will be announced.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:38 AM
surely you agree with me

Ray Wan did a nice job on that tower.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 6:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Ray Wan did a nice job on that tower.
how long till u can steel tallest tittle from him though

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:58 AM

From today:

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:09 AM
Rational urbanist

First time I've been able to make out the footprint!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 11:31 AM

Definite progress in these pictures-thanks for posting! I am guess those diagonal structures that face Main St. will have to come out soon? One looks like some kind of covered roof access, and the other looks like a low wall.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:04 PM
BANNED

I cannot wait for Railside to fill those lots.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:37 PM

^Agreed.

It's nice that they painted the protective wood structure over the sidewalk on Main. Hopefully they put up some nice "Coming Soon" signage with pictures... I've always found it odd that Winnipeg is the only city I've been to in the world that doesn't seem to cover up and show off/advertise the construction projects here in a nice way. TNS is the only exception I can think of.

Anyone know if we don't allow it, or if other cities force it? Always just been so odd to me that you wouldn't want to promote your project to the public.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:02 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Costs money - maybe that's why???
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^Agreed.

It's nice that they painted the protective wood structure over the sidewalk on Main. Hopefully they put up some nice "Coming Soon" signage with pictures... I've always found it odd that Winnipeg is the only city I've been to in the world that doesn't seem to cover up and show off/advertise the construction projects here in a nice way. TNS is the only exception I can think of.

Anyone know if we don't allow it, or if other cities force it? Always just been so odd to me that you wouldn't want to promote your project to the public.
I have questioned this for years. I notice the same thing.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^Costs money - maybe that's why???
It's advertising at a fraction of the cost of having to pay for billboards etc. It's a no-brainer, you generally want to fill your units, especially in a city where there isn't raging demand for units.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
I believe this will be one of the most modern buildings in downtown after completion.

But who knows? Probably, during its course of construction, a new project with even more modern design will be announced.
Hopefully we continue to see an influx in modern or adventurous design!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
how long till u can steel tallest tittle from him though
Well, I can see more modern happening, but I'd be doubtful of a new tallest for a while... our market is stable and growing but still somewhat untested. As Viking and others have attested, I'd happily take 4-10 storeys on these vacant lots, if the land isn't too expensive.

As far as more towers, 12-20 storeys could also be a sweet spot. But I'd be happy to be wrong and see someone get bold and go 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^Agreed.

I wanna say I'm sure they will. I'd guess they're well aware of what TNS has done and wouldn't want to be outshone on such an accessible item.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan