HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 10:34 PM

Future Winnipeg High-Rise Projects

I know this topic gets thrown around in multiple threads, so I figured I'd start a thread of its own to discuss.

Regardless of Sky City's cancellation (which is far more to blame on the developer than the Winnipeg market imo), I think it is a serious positive note that we have seen and are seeing 9 towers of 70+ meters on the rise since 2012 (announcement of ALT and Glasshouse). Especially considering the fact that Winnipeg had not seen anything constructed at these levels from 1990 until the construction of Manitoba Hydro Headquarters and then again from that project to the ALT/Glasshouse projects.

So now that Glass house, ALT (CentrePoint), and 300 Assiniboine are all completed, D condo is nearing completion, TNS/Sutton Place mega project is nearing their halfway point, and 300 Main is on the rise; given this upward trajectory (pun intended), where, when, and what do you think is next for Winnipeg? Let's keep the speculation based on the height trend of 70+ meter builds.

I've lurked here long enough to know some of you have detailed knowledge of potential future projects and others who at least have your ears pointed towards parties who may have detailed knowledge… So please add fuel to the speculation; where you can and what you can

And…. Go!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4life View Post
I know this topic gets thrown around in multiple threads, so I figured I'd start a thread of its own to discuss.

Regardless of Sky City's cancellation (which is far more to blame on the developer than the Winnipeg market imo), I think it is a serious positive note that we have seen and are seeing 9 towers of 70+ meters on the rise since 2012 (announcement of ALT and Glasshouse). Especially considering the fact that Winnipeg had not seen anything constructed at these levels from 1990 until the construction of Manitoba Hydro Headquarters and then again from that project to the ALT/Glasshouse projects.

So now that Glass house, ALT (CentrePoint), and 300 Assiniboine are all completed, D condo is nearing completion, TNS/Sutton Place mega project is nearing their halfway point, and 300 Main is on the rise; given this upward trajectory (pun intended), where, when, and what do you think is next for Winnipeg? Let's keep the speculation based on the height trend of 70+ meter builds.

I've lurked here long enough to know some of you have detailed knowledge of potential future projects and others who at least have your ears pointed towards parties who may have detailed knowledge… So please add fuel to the speculation; where you can and what you can

And…. Go!
I am thinking we will see more activity on South Main near the renovated buildings like Fortune Bldg. Also the Earls site. I also am sure 416 Main st will see a hi-rise as well as perhaps the MPIC or other lots near The RBC Convention centre? Plus Sky city/ St Regis lot and also Seems like Artis will build more along Fort near Graham if all goes well

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:21 AM
keep the good times going

What ended up happened to that old hotel proposal in the parking lot at St. Mary and Edmonton? Did it get offically canceled or does Lakeview still own that lot and have plans?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 1:22 PM
What could go wrong?

Lakeview still own that lot. I'm not sure what plans they have though. The hotel and suites project by TNS has surely killed any plans they may have had....they had more than enough time though. I guess they were too busy building the Grand Hotel at the airport.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 1:42 PM

^ Lakeview was kicking around plans for years for that site, I can recall at least two or three times where the local media announced that something was about to get built and it never ended up happening. Meanwhile, downtown has seen all kinds of development happening including new hotels, which means Lakeview will probably continue to sit on that site for who knows how long.

That said, Lakeview was never aiming to build a highrise. I think their proposals topped out at around 12 floors. But that was at a time when development was at a low ebb... 30 storey or higher projects seem within the realm of the possible again.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:20 PM
There is always a way

I'd rather see movement on the skycity lot, the one between it and winnipeg square, and then also east of Portage and 416 main. I'm sure that eventually the area around the convention centre will fill up but it would be really nice if the major routes could fill in. Oh and maybe then if Broadway were to have its missing teeth filled in.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:46 PM

A couple projects on Pembina have been shown on here recently, a 15 story one at Pembina/Dalhousie and a ~20 story one on the site of the Pembina Hotel, plus the 15 story student resident that just started construction at Pembina/Bison.... These don't hit the 70m height but I would be surprised if a few more toward were proposed in the next few years

I could see something in the 20-25 story range be proposed for the Osborne Village area. We've seen lots of 3-4 story builds there in the last few years and I think there'd be good demand for a modern high-rise

If Earl's does move into 300 Main I think a proposal for a 10-20 story building will come very quickly for those lots

I don't think there'll be any real tall ones proposed for a while, unless TN or Artis gets very confident in the market. If they do my bet is on the lot north of the new police headquarters.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:06 PM

I have to think it's just a matter of time before something goes up at the gravel lot by p&m.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:40 PM

I think we are sort of nearing the end of a 90s boom era where the likes of Portage Place, etc were built followed by a major cooling off for about 20 years.

As True North Square is more about relocation than net new offices it will create a void in office leases. It also doesn't help that the downtown residential subsidy has ended and the national building code changes have supposedly made new projects significantly more costly to undertake.

I think all these factors will potentially depress the market conditions leading to a major cooling of new projects and outside of the ones that are already underway few new ones will follow. And based on the 70s era boom, the cooling period then the 90s era boom and cooling period I think it could be 20-30 years before another significant wave of new construction starts downtown.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Did it get offically canceled or does Lakeview still own that lot and have plans?
Considering the Lakeview "hotel" by the Convention Centre has been publicly proposed going to the 90s or further back I would consider the current state as more "on-hold" than "cancelled".

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:36 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I think all these factors will potentially depress the market conditions leading to a major cooling of new projects and outside of the ones that are already underway few new ones will follow. And based on the 70s era boom, the cooling period then the 90s era boom and cooling period I think it could be 20-30 years before another significant wave of new construction starts downtown.
I will respectfully have to disagree with you on this one. I'm not talking new tallest every year but lots of proposals in the pipeline.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:56 PM
BANNED

isn't something high rise ish supposed to be announced this month?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I will respectfully have to disagree with you on this one. I'm not talking new tallest every year but lots of proposals in the pipeline.
I agree. Winnipeg was nearly stagnant in the 90's where as today we are on a growth curve for over a dozen years. Immigration has gone up tenfold and we are a stronger more vibrant economy because of it. We are on a trajectory to reach near a million in our CMA region in a dozen or so years.
It will likely mean more residential than tons of office towers bu they too will eventually appear. My guess downtown will see multi purpose hi-rises: shared spaces of residential with hotel or office.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
isn't something high rise ish supposed to be announced this month?
Yes it is!Before Christmas

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 6:01 PM
What could go wrong?

Winnipeg wasn't growing in the 90's. Now, every year the region brings in about 10,000 people. We will continue to have interesting projects for some time.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 6:08 PM
Ignore these four words.

I'm thinking and hoping more residential towers.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:24 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Yes it is!Before Christmas
I want Christmas to come early then
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I have to think it's just a matter of time before something goes up at the gravel lot by p&m.
That would be nice. It's such an eyesore seeing that cavity in the heart of the city.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:44 PM

I predict, if anything, that Winnipeg will see a lot more river-side residential high-rises in the Osborne area leading up to the Forks. I predict that it will be mostly mid-rise but there will be some high-rise riverfront gems.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:05 PM

I'd really like to see something new go up on Broadway. It's baffling to me that with all the action downtown, there hasn't been a single new development on Broadway in years (probably CU Central was last). It's a great street, and there's lots of empty surface lots to fill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan