HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #141  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:40 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
clearly says in the damn article

that they will develop on the site regardless only postpone it 6 months and they would have to downsize it a bit to cut costs

gtfo this forum dumb as bricks..

its going to proceed regardless if they get funding

I dont see the why province wont give them 15 million with all the money they waste on other useless shit..

sellinger needs to go hes a fukn retard
LOL. You played yourself.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #142  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:51 PM
lilwayne lilwayne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 633
i mean pallister loll heheh
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #143  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 12:35 AM
Bluenote's Avatar
Bluenote Bluenote is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg / St Vital
Posts: 856
I'd be ok if they left that area green space as now that I drive past the WAG building. That view which has never been seen is actually kinda nice. The huge chimney is also very cool. I don't want a parking lot though. I just like how the WAG now stands by itself as a unique building.

I'd love to see the Bay parkade replaced with the new Inuit centre though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #144  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 12:18 AM
dennis dennis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,066
Any word on whether this is a go? Last I heard is that the art gallery would have found out by the end of August whether funding by
The province would be approved or not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #145  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:51 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,465
Province approves $10mm funding for this project (down from the $15mm NDP had committed).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.4456010
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #146  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:22 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Province approves $10mm funding for this project (down from the $15mm NDP had committed).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.4456010
*cue redesign/value-engineering*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #147  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:34 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 18,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
*cue redesign/value-engineering*
$5 million more fundraising is probably not that daunting for a project with such a high profile and so many commitments already.

I don't think they're going to have to switch to stucco or rent out the main floor to Money Mart to make this thing work.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #148  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 6:24 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 253
So I just looked at the renders for the original design.

Have any of the people involved ever been to an art gallery?

This isn't that bad, though it doesn't seem like it encourages engagement with the work to have this long, winding case of sculpture after sculpture, all at the same level:



But THIS?



Why are there sculptures at the level of the ceiling?

"I'm going to sit on this beanbag chair and stare up at the carvings on shelves ten feet above my head!"

They're describing it as part of the "vault" -- i.e., the storage for pieces not on display. But it treats the artwork like an piece of architectural material, instead of works to be actually seen or appreciated.

It reminds me of that Chinese library that everyone gushed about...



... where it later turned out the books were just printed on.



I know in this case, the works aren't fake, they're real -- but they're similarly being used en masse for an architectural effect rather than as works of art.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #149  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 7:23 PM
Hecate's Avatar
Hecate Hecate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 32
The artworks in the main floor case are actually in a storage vault. It is a glass vault designed so that all the artworks can be viewed, not just the ones on display. It's an awesome feature of the new gallery.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #150  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 9:37 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
$5 million more fundraising is probably not that daunting for a project with such a high profile and so many commitments already.

I don't think they're going to have to switch to stucco or rent out the main floor to Money Mart to make this thing work.
$5M is huge!

If they never needed that $5M, it's essentially implying that it was going straight into pockets. $5M in extra costs not covered also has massive implications on returns.

Not saying it will only include huge changes, but changes will be made.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #151  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 2:37 AM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 10,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Province approves $10mm funding for this project (down from the $15mm NDP had committed).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.4456010
The province sucks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #152  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 3:05 AM
LilZebra's Avatar
LilZebra LilZebra is offline
Spiritual
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Vital, Man.
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
So I just looked at the renders for the original design.

Have any of the people involved ever been to an art gallery?

This isn't that bad, though it doesn't seem like it encourages engagement with the work to have this long, winding case of sculpture after sculpture, all at the same level:


But THIS?



Why are there sculptures at the level of the ceiling?

"I'm going to sit on this beanbag chair and stare up at the carvings on shelves ten feet above my head!"

They're describing it as part of the "vault" -- i.e., the storage for pieces not on display. But it treats the artwork like an piece of architectural material, instead of works to be actually seen or appreciated.

It reminds me of that Chinese library that everyone gushed about...



Quote:
... where it later turned out the books were just printed on
hey, looks better than what they did at our downtown library.

In religious texts, "vault" means the sky or a place above.

A "vaulted ceiling" is similar.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #153  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 4:49 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is online now
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The province sucks.
it does but concidering the idiocy they did give something in this climate they have create. now time for the wag to get creative hopefully someone out there steps up to fill the gap
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:50 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.