HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
A 4-year mandate would be April 2020 - the fixed date is Nov 2020. Shifting it to April 2021 is the option Election Sask has put forward to avoid a conflict with municipal elections. No one has discussed shifting it backwards (that I know of). Can't shift it backwards too far - there should be a federal election in October 2019... the provincial legislation allows for provincial elections to be shifted to April if the overlap with a federal election period.

Fixed election dates seem like a good idea on paper. Reality? less ideal.

Of course, there's nothing stopping the prov or feds from dissolving the Leg/House early.
And fixed election laws are just that—laws. They can be overridden by the sitting legislature. They have the same weight or importance as anti-deficit laws: none.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 9:31 PM
#1 King Champ

Lots of activity in the parking area for Dilawri across from the old Sears call center. They are milling the surface of the lot and jack hammering out concrete.

Anyone know of anything? I thought I heard a rumor of a Land Rover and/or Porsche dealer going in there, or are they just resurfacing the lot (boring).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 12:18 PM

http://www.620ckrm.com/2018/01/10/sa...rbour-landing/
Saskatchewan unveils latest affordable housing project in Harbour Landing

Regina, SK, Canada / 620 CKRM

David Boles

January 10, 2018 03:43 am

Mayor Michael Fougere was also in attendance. He’s thankful the province is investing in affordable housing for one of Canada’s fastest growing cities.

“This is great news for the city,” he says. “76 units, $19 million investment is really important.”

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
http://www.620ckrm.com/2018/01/10/sa...rbour-landing/
Saskatchewan unveils latest affordable housing project in Harbour Landing

Regina, SK, Canada / 620 CKRM

David Boles

January 10, 2018 03:43 am

Mayor Michael Fougere was also in attendance. He’s thankful the province is investing in affordable housing for one of Canada’s fastest growing cities.

“This is great news for the city,” he says. “76 units, $19 million investment is really important.”
At $250,000 / unit, I fail to see how this is affordable. They should be able to bring affordable development to a price that is below market value.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
At $250,000 / unit, I fail to see how this is affordable. They should be able to bring affordable development to a price that is below market value.
This is the cost not the price. They are rented at below market rents.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:48 PM

I see they are tearing down three houses at 600 Victoria Avenue. I saw on facebook it is planned to be a medical clinic.

Does anyone know what it is planned to look like? I did a quick search of the Regina Planning Commission minutes from last year but couldn't find it mentioned anywhere. Maybe it doesn't need to go to the commission because they were already zoned appropriately?

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:07 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...wood-1.4490873

I know there were plans for a West Harbour Landing, but I thought that was decades away. I wonder how the RM having their head office there could affect this.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post

I know there were plans for a West Harbour Landing, but I thought that was decades away. I wonder how the RM having their head office there could affect this.
Hmm.

I wonder, is the city planning to keep the at-grade intersection there? I drive to Moose Jaw regularly, and there are Harbour Landing residents making a left-turn across the #1 all the time, heading toward the city. It's going to become a very dangerous intersection if it's not blocked off. On the other hand, if Harbour Landing West is ever built, then those residents will need a quicker way to get into the city than driving down Gordon Rd for 20 minutes.

It's not nearly as bad as west Dewdney, though. I can't imagine living all the way on the west side of the city and having to drive 50km/h for what feels like 20 minutes just to get to Lewvan Dr. There is really no fast East-West corridor in the city, despite there being a few fast North-South ones.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:10 PM

Had the province finalized the south bypass route when this came up in 2013? I doubt an interchange is still on the table for that location.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Had the province finalized the south bypass route when this came up in 2013? I doubt an interchange is still on the table for that location.
I definitely agree that an interchange wouldn't be great here (too close to lewvan), but it's also not going to be safe to keep it as an at-grade crossing, especially as Harbour Landing fills in and the city expands.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post

What relevance does the RM office's location have on this?

Old Posted Today, 12:03 AM

West Harbour Landing is at least 10 years away. Closer to 15

Old Posted Today, 2:34 AM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
What relevance does the RM office's location have on this?
Cost of land?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Today, 3:08 AM

The report said the owner of the land is Dream Management Corporation. Dream wants those parcels brought into city jurisdiction because the lands form natural extensions of both the existing Harbour Landing community and the future West Harbour Landing neighbourhood.

To make up for what would be a loss of tax revenue, the RM is requesting an amount equal to 15 times the foregone revenue the lands would have generated. The city estimates a one-time payment to the RM in this regard of $1,450.
http://www.cjme.com/2018/01/17/regin...nd-from-rm-of-

Old Posted Today, 3:13 AM

Old Posted Today, 3:20 AM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan