HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5721  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:16 PM
14NM's Avatar
14NM 14NM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 20
It almost looks, to me, like some sort of fancy Sorority House. The fact that it's being built in Tuxedo suggests it may as well be
__________________
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve. –Napoleon Hill
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5722  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:18 PM
Jeff's Avatar
Jeff Jeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winnipeg|MB
Posts: 1,636
I would like if a couple more towers were added to that little Tuxedo park cluster going on there. Give some "heft" to the Polo Park midtown effect.
__________________
instagram: @jeff_vernaus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5723  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:21 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I would like if a couple more towers were added to that little Tuxedo park cluster going on there. Give some "heft" to the Polo Park midtown effect.
Now that you mention it, it's a little surprising that no new apartment/condo towers have been built around Polo Park. Seems like a pile of them went up along Century and St. James from the late 60s to the early 80s, then... nothing.

There is a fair bit going on around that area... you'd think it would be an easy sell even if the sea of parking lots on St. James and Portage doesn't make for the most beautiful surroundings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5724  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:25 PM
Jeff's Avatar
Jeff Jeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winnipeg|MB
Posts: 1,636
Probably once the dust settles in 25 years after the Kenaston widening people will be willing to invest more seriously in the area. That nuanced airport precinct thing that they seem to somewhat enforce now probably plays a part in this as well.
__________________
instagram: @jeff_vernaus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5725  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:40 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,566
^ Yeah, true enough. I get that there won't ever be 40 storey towers around there, but you'd think 10 floors or something modest like that wouldn't be out of the question. Aircraft today are for the most part a lot quieter than they were in the 70s when a lot of the 10-20 storey range towers around Polo Park went up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5726  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:47 PM
BAKGUY BAKGUY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
"Sir, the results from the focus group are back."



"Well, they really want floor-to-ceiling windows. And frameless, blue-glass balconies."



"And they want wrought-iron fences, and columns, and a pediment with roman numerals."



Very Nice..Classy... When you click on any of the units, the site claims all sold.. each one had a sold sign on it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5727  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 10:25 PM
Roger Strong's Avatar
Roger Strong Roger Strong is offline
Speak the truth, then run
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Now that you mention it, it's a little surprising that no new apartment/condo towers have been built around Polo Park. Seems like a pile of them went up along Century and St. James from the late 60s to the early 80s, then... nothing.
Don't count on it. The airport noise related construction restrictions apparently are pretty strict. When the church was torn down next to the High Tea Bakery on Portage, apparently the developer wasn't allowed to build any condos. He had to settle for building a hotel. (And after the building inspector rushing into the bakery and asking them to call the police RIGHT NOW, that project ended.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Aircraft today are for the most part a lot quieter than they were in the 70s when a lot of the 10-20 storey range towers around Polo Park went up.
Most are. There's still a lot of military aircraft, and those are quite loud. Yesterday alone there were two F-18s and a (Tornado?) that I happened to notice, and I was rarely paying attention. And a number of Hercules landings.

Some of those FedEx and Purolator flights are using old retired-from-passenger-service jets, and can be quite loud too.

The most impressively loud thing I've heard was a missed approach. A few years ago when runway 36 was closed for a month or so for repairs, a jetliner noticed only after crossing Portage Avenue. He pulled up and went to full throttle, pointing the engines down at my apartment at Portage and Mount Royal. Wow.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5728  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 12:03 AM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 2,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Yeah, true enough. I get that there won't ever be 40 storey towers around there, but you'd think 10 floors or something modest like that wouldn't be out of the question. Aircraft today are for the most part a lot quieter than they were in the 70s when a lot of the 10-20 storey range towers around Polo Park went up.
I live in st vital off Dakota and the cargo jets that come in from the states overnight are loud in the summer i can’t keep the windows open at night. It was worst a few summers ago when one runway was shut down and it seemed like every flight was diverted to approach from the south. Even when the planes are approaching west of the red river over fort Gary I can hear them over st vital with windows closed. I would never live near the airport.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5729  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 1:29 AM
OTA in Winnipeg's Avatar
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Osborne
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post

The most impressively loud thing I've heard was a missed approach. A few years ago when runway 36 was closed for a month or so for repairs, a jetliner noticed only after crossing Portage Avenue. He pulled up and went to full throttle, pointing the engines down at my apartment at Portage and Mount Royal. Wow.
Hey! I used to live at Park West until October 2016. Liked that neighbourhood a lot.
__________________
Put up an antenna. TV is free as it always was and now comes with full program descriptions for the next 14 days on each channel, plus full HD that's far superior to cable and again, it's free!(after initial setup).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5730  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:39 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Pretty basic render in the variance application.

Interesting that the submitted documents say there's 2 CRUs, yet that render appears to show up to 5... wonder if they've already secured tenants?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5731  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:00 AM
joshlemer joshlemer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Don't count on it. The airport noise related construction restrictions apparently are pretty strict. When the church was torn down next to the High Tea Bakery on Portage, apparently the developer wasn't allowed to build any condos. He had to settle for building a hotel. (And after the building inspector rushing into the bakery and asking them to call the police RIGHT NOW, that project ended.)
What kind of building constraints are you talking about though? You just mean there's height constraints?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5732  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 5:02 AM
Roger Strong's Avatar
Roger Strong Roger Strong is offline
Speak the truth, then run
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
What kind of building constraints are you talking about though? You just mean there's height constraints?
Usage constraints, under the Winnipeg Airport Vicinity Development Plan (PDF).

That means no new residential allowed in "Area 1" - which includes Portage Ave. from Empress to halfway between Mount Royal and Moray. Existing dwellings may be replaced if destroyed or demolished - with no more than the same number of units. Exceptions for minor residential infilling in existing and established residential areas may be approved.

In the much larger "Area 2", new residential is allowed with conditional use. (No high-density development.) While this covers Portage Ave. from Sherburn to Sturgeon Road, addresses fronting Portage Ave. are exempted.

This sheds some light on why there's no enthusiasm by the city for a west or north-west transit corridor; there can be no new high-density residential built around transit stations.

Last edited by Roger Strong; Jan 15, 2018 at 5:58 AM. Reason: Edit: Added a 'no.'
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5733  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 5:54 AM
joshlemer joshlemer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Usage constraints, under the Winnipeg Airport Vicinity Development Plan (PDF).
Damn that is too bad.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5734  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:48 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
t. When the church was torn down next to the High Tea Bakery on Portage, apparently the developer wasn't allowed to build any condos. He had to settle for building a hotel. (And after the building inspector rushing into the bakery and asking them to call the police RIGHT NOW, that project ended.)
wait what?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5735  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:54 AM
Roger Strong's Avatar
Roger Strong Roger Strong is offline
Speak the truth, then run
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
wait what?
CBC, June 2012: Church demolition halted as bricks fall to street

That street being Portage Avenue. Plus High Tea's parking lot at the back. The demolition site owner had decided to skip the proper demolition site fencing and pedestrian sidewalk tunnel.

He then decided that the High Tea Bakery was responsible for the stop work order, and retaliated by trying to remove their gas line.

If I recall correctly there was a later problem with him deciding to dig the new basement - right up to the High Tea building - without shoring up the side of the pit to prevent the building from collapsing into it.

It's all filled in now and the site has sat empty ever since. Again, airport-related restrictions limit its use.

The High Tea Bakery's gas line has since been moved to the front.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5736  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 2:29 PM
Tacheguy Tacheguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 791
New owner for the Albert! Article in freep
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5737  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:03 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
New owner for the Albert! Article in freep
Given that every new owner of every property on that stretch of Albert seems worse than the last, I'll hold off celebrating until we see what happens.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5738  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:13 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 446
Not sure if this project has been mentioned here, but there's a new 7-storey building planned at the intersection of Pembina/University Cres (at Bishop Grandin).



The siting/orientation is a bit of a disappointment (giant surface lot on the east side with a grass berm separating it from the sidewalk), but it's a nice bit of density in a spot with good transit access, backing onto the Bishop Grandin greenway, close to campus, etc.). And of course, it currently looks like this:



I think the target market is students -- it's 1br/2br rentals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5739  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:20 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Given that every new owner of every property on that stretch of Albert seems worse than the last, I'll hold off celebrating until we see what happens.
The new owner is Neil Soorsma (?) who describes himself a "successful landlord who has redeveloped a number of buildings over a 30-year real estate career" (???)

And here's the oh-lordy moment: They're planning a restaurant. Quote, "It’s not a name young people might remember, but it’s a good restaurant with a good history in the city"

It's going to be a Branigan's, isn't it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5740  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:51 PM
oftheMoon's Avatar
oftheMoon oftheMoon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Exchanger
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
The new owner is Neil Soorsma (?) who describes himself a "successful landlord who has redeveloped a number of buildings over a 30-year real estate career" (???)

And here's the oh-lordy moment: They're planning a restaurant. Quote, "It’s not a name young people might remember, but it’s a good restaurant with a good history in the city"

It's going to be a Branigan's, isn't it.
Oh Branigan's...how about a Grapes on Albert!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:50 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.