HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:16 PM

It almost looks, to me, like some sort of fancy Sorority House. The fact that it's being built in Tuxedo suggests it may as well be

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:18 PM

I would like if a couple more towers were added to that little Tuxedo park cluster going on there. Give some "heft" to the Polo Park midtown effect.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:21 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I would like if a couple more towers were added to that little Tuxedo park cluster going on there. Give some "heft" to the Polo Park midtown effect.
Now that you mention it, it's a little surprising that no new apartment/condo towers have been built around Polo Park. Seems like a pile of them went up along Century and St. James from the late 60s to the early 80s, then... nothing.

There is a fair bit going on around that area... you'd think it would be an easy sell even if the sea of parking lots on St. James and Portage doesn't make for the most beautiful surroundings.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:25 PM

Probably once the dust settles in 25 years after the Kenaston widening people will be willing to invest more seriously in the area. That nuanced airport precinct thing that they seem to somewhat enforce now probably plays a part in this as well.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:40 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Yeah, true enough. I get that there won't ever be 40 storey towers around there, but you'd think 10 floors or something modest like that wouldn't be out of the question. Aircraft today are for the most part a lot quieter than they were in the 70s when a lot of the 10-20 storey range towers around Polo Park went up.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
"Sir, the results from the focus group are back."

"Well, they really want floor-to-ceiling windows. And frameless, blue-glass balconies."

"And they want wrought-iron fences, and columns, and a pediment with roman numerals."

Very Nice..Classy... When you click on any of the units, the site claims all sold.. each one had a sold sign on it?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 10:25 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Now that you mention it, it's a little surprising that no new apartment/condo towers have been built around Polo Park. Seems like a pile of them went up along Century and St. James from the late 60s to the early 80s, then... nothing.
Don't count on it. The airport noise related construction restrictions apparently are pretty strict. When the church was torn down next to the High Tea Bakery on Portage, apparently the developer wasn't allowed to build any condos. He had to settle for building a hotel. (And after the building inspector rushing into the bakery and asking them to call the police RIGHT NOW, that project ended.)

Quote:
Aircraft today are for the most part a lot quieter than they were in the 70s when a lot of the 10-20 storey range towers around Polo Park went up.
Most are. There's still a lot of military aircraft, and those are quite loud. Yesterday alone there were two F-18s and a (Tornado?) that I happened to notice, and I was rarely paying attention. And a number of Hercules landings.

Some of those FedEx and Purolator flights are using old retired-from-passenger-service jets, and can be quite loud too.

The most impressively loud thing I've heard was a missed approach. A few years ago when runway 36 was closed for a month or so for repairs, a jetliner noticed only after crossing Portage Avenue. He pulled up and went to full throttle, pointing the engines down at my apartment at Portage and Mount Royal. Wow.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
^ Yeah, true enough. I get that there won't ever be 40 storey towers around there, but you'd think 10 floors or something modest like that wouldn't be out of the question. Aircraft today are for the most part a lot quieter than they were in the 70s when a lot of the 10-20 storey range towers around Polo Park went up.
I live in st vital off Dakota and the cargo jets that come in from the states overnight are loud in the summer i can’t keep the windows open at night. It was worst a few summers ago when one runway was shut down and it seemed like every flight was diverted to approach from the south. Even when the planes are approaching west of the red river over fort Gary I can hear them over st vital with windows closed. I would never live near the airport.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post

The most impressively loud thing I've heard was a missed approach. A few years ago when runway 36 was closed for a month or so for repairs, a jetliner noticed only after crossing Portage Avenue. He pulled up and went to full throttle, pointing the engines down at my apartment at Portage and Mount Royal. Wow.
Hey! I used to live at Park West until October 2016. Liked that neighbourhood a lot.
Put up an antenna. TV is free as it always was and now comes with full program descriptions for the next 14 days on each channel, plus full HD that's far superior to cable and again, it's free!(after initial setup).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Pretty basic render in the variance application.

Interesting that the submitted documents say there's 2 CRUs, yet that render appears to show up to 5... wonder if they've already secured tenants?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Don't count on it. The airport noise related construction restrictions apparently are pretty strict. When the church was torn down next to the High Tea Bakery on Portage, apparently the developer wasn't allowed to build any condos. He had to settle for building a hotel. (And after the building inspector rushing into the bakery and asking them to call the police RIGHT NOW, that project ended.)
What kind of building constraints are you talking about though? You just mean there's height constraints?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
What kind of building constraints are you talking about though? You just mean there's height constraints?
Usage constraints, under the Winnipeg Airport Vicinity Development Plan (PDF).

That means no new residential allowed in "Area 1" - which includes Portage Ave. from Empress to halfway between Mount Royal and Moray. Existing dwellings may be replaced if destroyed or demolished - with no more than the same number of units. Exceptions for minor residential infilling in existing and established residential areas may be approved.

In the much larger "Area 2", new residential is allowed with conditional use. (No high-density development.) While this covers Portage Ave. from Sherburn to Sturgeon Road, addresses fronting Portage Ave. are exempted.

This sheds some light on why there's no enthusiasm by the city for a west or north-west transit corridor; there can be no new high-density residential built around transit stations.

Last edited by Roger Strong; Jan 15, 2018 at 5:58 AM. Reason: Edit: Added a 'no.'

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Usage constraints, under the Winnipeg Airport Vicinity Development Plan (PDF).
Damn that is too bad.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
t. When the church was torn down next to the High Tea Bakery on Portage, apparently the developer wasn't allowed to build any condos. He had to settle for building a hotel. (And after the building inspector rushing into the bakery and asking them to call the police RIGHT NOW, that project ended.)
wait what?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
wait what?
CBC, June 2012: Church demolition halted as bricks fall to street

That street being Portage Avenue. Plus High Tea's parking lot at the back. The demolition site owner had decided to skip the proper demolition site fencing and pedestrian sidewalk tunnel.

He then decided that the High Tea Bakery was responsible for the stop work order, and retaliated by trying to remove their gas line.

If I recall correctly there was a later problem with him deciding to dig the new basement - right up to the High Tea building - without shoring up the side of the pit to prevent the building from collapsing into it.

It's all filled in now and the site has sat empty ever since. Again, airport-related restrictions limit its use.

The High Tea Bakery's gas line has since been moved to the front.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 2:29 PM

New owner for the Albert! Article in freep

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:03 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
New owner for the Albert! Article in freep
Given that every new owner of every property on that stretch of Albert seems worse than the last, I'll hold off celebrating until we see what happens.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:13 PM

Not sure if this project has been mentioned here, but there's a new 7-storey building planned at the intersection of Pembina/University Cres (at Bishop Grandin).

The siting/orientation is a bit of a disappointment (giant surface lot on the east side with a grass berm separating it from the sidewalk), but it's a nice bit of density in a spot with good transit access, backing onto the Bishop Grandin greenway, close to campus, etc.). And of course, it currently looks like this:

I think the target market is students -- it's 1br/2br rentals.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Given that every new owner of every property on that stretch of Albert seems worse than the last, I'll hold off celebrating until we see what happens.
The new owner is Neil Soorsma (?) who describes himself a "successful landlord who has redeveloped a number of buildings over a 30-year real estate career" (???)

And here's the oh-lordy moment: They're planning a restaurant. Quote, "It’s not a name young people might remember, but it’s a good restaurant with a good history in the city"

It's going to be a Branigan's, isn't it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
The new owner is Neil Soorsma (?) who describes himself a "successful landlord who has redeveloped a number of buildings over a 30-year real estate career" (???)

And here's the oh-lordy moment: They're planning a restaurant. Quote, "It’s not a name young people might remember, but it’s a good restaurant with a good history in the city"

It's going to be a Branigan's, isn't it.
Oh Branigan's...how about a Grapes on Albert!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan