HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 1:59 PM

Constantini -the new developer in Hamilton

There is something that's raising red flags for me, in the narrative we're being given.

If you read the posts from Dec 5 to Jan 12, which includes the seasonal holidays, Mr. Constantini has accomplished so much at a rapid pace that he's the light-speed developer...or something is off.

Just to highlight a few of his statements:

He rapidly went from starting a development company to putting together a team by January 12, in a city he doesn't know.

He has no lawyer here, but has "the best lawyers in Chicago".

Jan 12: "TD Canada has agreed to finance the project", for a multistorey building on land he doesn't own.

Has Toms + McNally ever designed a 20+ storey residential building?

So I'm not sure what to make of all this.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
There is something that's raising red flags for me, in the narrative we're being given.

If you read the posts from Dec 5 to Jan 12, which includes the seasonal holidays, Mr. Constantini has accomplished so much at a rapid pace that he's the light-speed developer...or something is off.

Just to highlight a few of his statements:

He rapidly went from starting a development company to putting together a team by January 12, in a city he doesn't know.

He has no lawyer here, but has "the best lawyers in Chicago".

Jan 12: "TD Canada has agreed to finance the project", for a multistorey building on land he doesn't own.

Has Toms + McNally ever designed a 20+ storey residential building?

So I'm not sure what to make of all this.

It does seem fishy, but who knows?
I don't think a developer would come here for advice. You'd think they'd have a team already, and wouldn't announce anything until everything is in place and ready to sell like most project..

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 6:01 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Constantini View Post
Yes, exactly.

Maybe we should have a vote on the name? Again, it’s your city - your Tower.
Think of some great names that would go well with Hamilton’ culture & history.

Go nuts!
well as a historian of this city - here are some options:

United Empire Loyalists Tower

Quinte Tower (named after the bay of quinte)

George Hamilton Tower (named after hamiltons founder)

James Durand (the original owner of land hamilton bought from)

Grand Lodge of Canada

Attiwandaronia (The original name for this area by the neutral indians)

Eatons tower (named after the region close to where eatons was)

Jackson tower (close to jackson square)

Gore lofts (being close to gore park)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timach View Post
...I don't think a developer would come here for advice.
Apparently he does! Or the whole thing is an elaborate joke. Maybe someone who knows the principals at Toms + McNally should ask them for a comment. Or The Spectator should investigate do a feature story.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Attiwandaronia (The original name for this area by the neutral indians)
Attiwandaron was apparently a name bestowed on Neutrals by their neighbours, and "Attiwandaronia" a European derivation to describe the territory of that nation. According to The Canadian Encyclopedia, that territory covered much of the Greater Golden Horseshoe.

"The Neutral Confederacy was a political and cultural union of Iroquoian nations who lived in the Hamilton-Niagara district of southwestern Ontario and across the Niagara River to western New York before their dispersal by the Seneca in the mid-17th century.… In 1615, Samuel de Champlain referred to all Neutral tribes as the Neutral, or “la Nation neutre” in French, because of their peace with the Five Nations and Huron-Wendat. They were known to the Huron-Wendat as the Attiwandaron (Attiwandaronk, Attawandaron), the meaning of which includes “peoples of a slightly different language” and “people whose speech is awry.” Some scholars argue that the Neutral’s name for themselves was Chonnonton, which means “the people who tend or manage deer.” However, others contend that the Chonnonton were just one of many Neutral nations.… The Neutral lived in longhouses in about 40 settlements that included large, fenced-in villages, most of which were concentrated within a 32-km radius of present-day Hamilton, Ontario. Many encampments were situated along the Grand River in the Grand Valley region, which provided an abundant supply of water."

… and from Numéro Cinq:

"The term Neutralia, which was coined in St. John’s, Newfoundland, in 1972, replaces the name Attiwandaronia coined by [Catholic historian] Harris in 1895."

Edited to add: Many of the demographic and geographic specifics around this particular confederacy are unknown. First Nations Issues of Consequence observes:

“Whatever name the Neutrals used for their confederacy has been lost, but most Iroquoian tribes in southern Ontario referred to themselves collectively as the Wendat "dwellers on a peninsula." The Huron called them the Attiwandaron (Attionondaron or Attiwandaronk) meaning "those who speak a little differently." The Iroquois name, Hatiwantarunh, had a similar meaning… The Neutrals were a confederacy, but the names and exact number of the member tribes are unknown. The following names have been associated with them, but could be either tribes or villages: Ahiragenrega, Ahondihronon, Andachkhrob, Antouaronon, Aondironon, Atiaonrek, Atirhagenrat, Atiraguenrek, Attiragenrega, Attiuoaisgon, Kakouagoga, Kandouche, Kehesetoa, Khioetoa, Niaggorega (Niagagarega, Onguiaahra, Onguiaronon), Ouaroronon, Ongniaahraronon, Ounonisaton (Ounontisaston), Rhageratka, Skenchioe, and Teotoguiaton (Teotongniaton).”

Like "Neutral", "Huron" itself was a term coined by the French.

Last edited by thistleclub; Jan 15, 2018 at 5:02 PM. Reason: Additional Citation

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 2:20 PM
Hamilton Historian

thanks for that thistleclub!

the word is a bit of a mouthful I will admit, but most people aren't even aware it exists hehe..

Last edited by Chronamut; Jan 15, 2018 at 5:22 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 2:43 PM

No worries. This particular example just stands as a reminder of the power of naming. Particularly poignant in a post-TRC Canada.

Last edited by thistleclub; Jan 15, 2018 at 2:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 5:22 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
No worries. This particular example just stands as a reminder of the power of naming. Particularly poignant in a post-TRC Canada.
Agreed!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 5:29 PM
Hamilton Historian

I'd also like to go back to my proposal for green space on roofs as well as patios - hamilton has so much wasted roof space - I would love to see places repurposed like this:

Doing this would allow every footprint taken over to essentially maintain greenspace square footage. I mean green roofs are nice and all but it's basically just weeds growing on a roof.. why not be able to be up there and enjoy it too?

Add a greenhouse or a place to grow gardens (ornamental or food) and you have an entirely self-sufficient ecosystem in a single building for the residents.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I'd also like to go back to my proposal for green space on roofs as well as patios - hamilton has so much wasted roof space - I would love to see places repurposed like this:

Doing this would allow every footprint taken over to essentially maintain greenspace square footage. I mean green roofs are nice and all but it's basically just weeds growing on a roof.. why not be able to be up there and enjoy it too?

Add a greenhouse or a place to grow gardens (ornamental or food) and you have an entirely self-sufficient ecosystem in a single building for the residents.
For these rooftop patios, what is the general rule about smoking? I want to live in an apartment or condo with this type of roof, but I would rather not have to only smoke on my balcony. I am an occasional user of non-tobacco cigarettes, if you catch my drift.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:47 PM

So do you think danconstantini actually has a plan or is he a LARP?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
So do you think danconstantini actually has a plan or is he a LARP?
LARP, or worse.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:36 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
LARP, or worse.
a live action role player? LOL

Sorry that was the first thing that came to mind..

also I would assume that since rooftop patios re supposed to be common areas for everyone, that, like being in a restaurant there are probably rules against it? I mean you have to be considerate of the non-smokers right? I know I wouldn't want to go up there if everyone was puffing away.. then again who would actually enforce those rules..

..but on another note - one has to consider - if you are going to make all of these high rises you are going to have a lot of views of stark rooftops, whereas if you made more rooftop patios it would at least give you something more appealing to look at..

Take the William Thomas building - it is going to look out onto the Lister block roof, which in some cases is right beside the building.. like RIGHT beside the windows.. I dunno.. I just think it's something the city might want to look into.. or at least as each building gets redone.. I like how a lot of buildings are putting glass penthouses on the top.. gives it a unique look and re-purposes the rooftop.

Last edited by Chronamut; Jan 23, 2018 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
a live action role player? LOL

Sorry that was the first thing that came to mind..
You were engaged in the thread with that guy (LARP or not), so what do you think about him now? You dive back into talking about rooftops.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 7:51 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
You were engaged in the thread with that guy (LARP or not), so what do you think about him now? You dive back into talking about rooftops.
I don't know.. I will wait to see him prove his mettle.

I like people to prove their own reputation - I don't like to jump to conclusions, because if you do, and they are legit, then you just look like a terrible person.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 12:57 AM
Hammer'd

I'm gonna go with LARP. Not a jab at this wonderful forum but I have no idea why a developer relocating to Hamilton from Chicago would seek advice on here. I'm guessing it's either an alt account or some kind of weird Harry Stinson developer. Either way, I'm expecting nothing.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I..Either way, I'm expecting nothing.
Me too.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:38 PM
Hamilton Historian

hmm I've been doing some historical research and I realized america had a hamilton too - alexander hamilton - one of the founders, (1755 or 1757 – July 12, 1804) in Charlestown, Nevis - born out of wedlock to Rachel Faucette, a married woman of half-British and half-French Huguenot descent, and James A. Hamilton, a Scotsman who was the fourth son of Laird Alexander Hamilton of Grange, Ayrshire.

george hamilton was (1788–1836) and born in canada in queenston heights - The son of wealthy and influential Scottish-born Queenston merchant Robert Hamilton, who later held important government offices, being a member of the Legislative Council and lieutenant of the County of Lincoln, and of Catherine Askin Robertson

I am wondering if they had a common ancestor - which would make it really interesting if the founder of our city was related to one of the founding fathers of the USA.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
hmm I've been doing some historical research and I realized america had a hamilton too - alexander hamilton - one of the founders, (1755 or 1757 – July 12, 1804) in Charlestown, Nevis...
I can't tell if you're joking or not... since the huge Broadway smash musical "Hamilton" is based on him and has been in headlines for a long time.
I'm just going to assume you were joking.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
america had a hamilton too.

And a George Hamilton at that!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton