HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:34 PM

The U of M had strict directions on what could and couldn't be done. Taking over the quad with bus shelters, and knocking down a bunch of tress, was prohibited.

The station is at the same location as the old, but is longer. It's not that far down Dafoe. You can also use the other bus stops further west along Dafoe at School of Music and the stops on University Cres.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Believe it or not, cheaper than the useless foot patrol inspectors being used now, and more effective since they would actually have police powers such as arrest and being able to ID people. One smaller than Winnipeg city in the US started with a force of only 6 on a trial basis and found it was so successful that they increased the number of officers to 14.

WPS would do the administrating so really no extra cost there. A 1st or second year constable earns less than a full time WT inspector too.
At very least those foot patrol inspectors should become actual transit security. I believe they're already special constables for a few things, like they can write tickets for parking in front of a bus stop and maybe smoking in a bus shack.

It wouldn't take much to at least train the to the same level as a police cadet, so they can physically remove unruly passengers once a couple inspectors are there. The police instructors already teach part time conservation officers, part time small town police etc, so the training infrastucture exists. It's just getting past all the political nonsense.

Police should still have a role, like investigating actual assaults or more serious incidents...but the day to day could easily be handled by better equipped/trained inspectors.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:54 PM

Are you talking about transit supervisors? If some transit guy tried to give me a ticket for smoking (I don't smoke) I would laugh at that guy and just walk away. If he touched me, the fight is on. He's a transit supervisor. How would he know my name? I definitely wouldn't give him any info. There's not cops, with handcuffs and guns.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Buses into the U of M are being delayed by up to 15 minutes due to having to turn from University Cres onto Dafoe. Something wasn't well thought out.
Why would they be delayed 15 minutes for having to make a left turn? Is traffic hat busy they won't let a bus turn?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
The station is practically the same as before except further down Dafoe and a longer walk for its users. I had hoped that the station would have stayed in its old location along the Quad. Here there would have been more room for bigger shelters and more distinct RT stations. Overall the station works but I had hoped for more, considering it is the terminus of the SW transitway. Every time I use it though it does suck having to walk way down Dafoe in the cold just to catch the 160...
Is the station finished? I'm just not sure what you mean by walking way down Dafoe. Not trying to be harsh, just curious. The station is at the same place it was before. I guess they moved some of the stops further east? But there is for sure still a bus stop(s) at the same place they used to be.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Are you talking about transit supervisors? If some transit guy tried to give me a ticket for smoking (I don't smoke) I would laugh at that guy and just walk away. If he touched me, the fight is on. He's a transit supervisor. How would he know my name? I definitely wouldn't give him any info. There's not cops, with handcuffs and guns.
They wouldn't touch you (unless in self defense) and you aren't obliged to identify yourself. Pretty useless.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Why would they be delayed 15 minutes for having to make a left turn? Is traffic hat busy they won't let a bus turn?
There was a temporary stop just after turning onto Dafoe. I think it's been removed. It was adding to delays to turn onto Dafoe.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
I am not sure if they still have the special constable status that allows them to do the same as police constables under the police service act of Manitoba. I think at one time they did as well as some of the Security staff of the major Winnipeg hospitals.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan