HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:22 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
start a new development thread.
If posters like I'll add one while I'm online for a bit?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:25 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,641
Who's the architect on that one?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:29 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,641
What's up with that tiny surface parking lot? For people stopping in to get lotto tickets?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:10 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What's up with that tiny surface parking lot? For people stopping in to get lotto tickets?

Yeah, maybe a new LC as well?



cbc

7.9 $ Million for the purchase of the building + adjacent parkade, 1st 5 floors to be reno'd + 5 floor addition constructed (70-80K sq ft) to existing street level parking lot..cost $66 Million. Top 10 floors to remain as is with current tenants..

Add


mbll.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:22 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What's up with that tiny surface parking lot? For people stopping in to get lotto tickets?
Yeah, that parking lot is the most ridiculous thing I have seen as well as the park. How stupid. Lots of people were grumbling about that. Very early in design so lots of opportunity for change and pressure to change.

Overall I love the idea of all the new blood being further down Graham - it is such a great area. I still think something big will happen with the True North site so I feel that we can kill two birds (parking lots) with one stone.

Architect is Prairie - another surprise.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:32 PM
Simplicity Simplicity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,773
Today I feel orders of magnitude less cynical about our city and province.

Who in the hell would have thought that those charged with making this decision would have spurned the opportunity to bask in the goodwill associated with the Chipman family in favour of the exponentially less exciting prudence that comes along with purchasing an existing revenue producing asset and utilizing passive cash flows to subsidize your own investment.

I'm beaming at the moment
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:44 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Today I feel orders of magnitude less cynical about our city and province.

Who in the hell would have thought that those charged with making this decision would have spurned the opportunity to bask in the goodwill associated with the Chipman family in favour of the exponentially less exciting prudence that comes along with purchasing an existing revenue producing asset and utilizing passive cash flows to subsidize your own investment.

I'm beaming at the moment
I seen this moment coming as soon as it was announced,

So what's happening with the old Loto building?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:55 PM
Simplicity Simplicity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
I seen this moment coming as soon as it was announced,

So what's happening with the old Loto building?
I'd imagine it'll be sold to raise capital...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:00 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,447
They are keeping their offices on Buffalo as Warehouse and their IT departments
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:00 PM
Roger Strong's Avatar
Roger Strong Roger Strong is offline
Speak the truth, then run
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What's up with that tiny surface parking lot? For people stopping in to get lotto tickets?
Couriers and taxis?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:03 PM
Simplicity Simplicity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
They are keeping their offices on Buffalo as Warehouse and their IT departments
Yeah, I was referring to the location on Ellice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:11 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Yeah, I was referring to the location on Ellice.
yes, everything else will be gone.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:19 PM
steveosnyder steveosnyder is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YWG
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Yeah, that parking lot is the most ridiculous thing I have seen as well as the park. How stupid. Lots of people were grumbling about that. Very early in design so lots of opportunity for change and pressure to change.

Overall I love the idea of all the new blood being further down Graham - it is such a great area. I still think something big will happen with the True North site so I feel that we can kill two birds (parking lots) with one stone.

Architect is Prairie - another surprise.
I think the park isn't too bad, I mean the courtyard at Hydro is used quite well during the warmer months, so no reason this one won't either. As long as they don't do something stupid and put hills in it, like the courtyard at Hydro... Makes almost half the space unusable during farmers markets.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:23 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I think the park isn't too bad, I mean the courtyard at Hydro is used quite well during the warmer months, so no reason this one won't either. As long as they don't do something stupid and put hills in it, like the courtyard at Hydro... Makes almost half the space unusable during farmers markets.
The problem is that the Hydro park is essentially kitty-corner to where this one will be. I see there is no need for both. It actually looks like MBLL copied Hydro's.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 8:14 PM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is online now
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,241
I like it. I think it adds to the area. Green and concrete are great together.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 8:24 PM
lilwayne lilwayne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 633
imo its not bad

graham is really starting to look pedestrian friendly with these developments.. its a vast improvement over what is there now.. I'm glad true north released a statement saying this decision wont effect their development which is great... I mean it doesn't add the skyline which sucks but overall it adds to the look and feel of that area a lot.. I love that space around mb hydro building.. downtown could use more like that.....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 12:45 PM
rkspec rkspec is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
imo its not bad
with all the glass yea its not 'that bad', but why brown??

its a shame to know what really could have been built considering the available budget.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 12:54 PM
lilwayne lilwayne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 633
this wont be the final design I bet you there will be changes for sure....

also I was reading a free press article and the true north spokeperson was saying that they were already in advanced talks with office and retail for space in their development.. they also confirmed they had a hoteller signed onto the project

but ya lets not get so caught up in the design I'm sure it will get reworked and look nicer it still hasn't been approved by dt committeee
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 12:58 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,641
I'm all for True North Square. But how about they fill the vacancies at CentrePoint first, before getting going on more office space downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 1:36 PM
lilwayne lilwayne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm all for True North Square. But how about they fill the vacancies at CentrePoint first, before getting going on more office space downtown.
I thought most of ther space was already leased out to stantec and brown social house and I forgot which other company
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:44 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.