HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 3:24 AM

Corbusier: a form-fitting garment for women?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:44 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ I thought it was the thing "The Ladies Man" from Saturday Night Live drank....for those of you who are old enough to remember. He also liked "his wang to be mouthified by the ladies".
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:39 PM

Hahahaha

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 2:33 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Here's a fun piece of trivia: brutalism has nothing to do with brutality, but takes its name from the French word brut for its rough, unfinished concrete surfaces.
True. Béton brut....Which means PSB isnt Brutslist because it's Tyndall not concrete. Let the wrenching ball fly!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 1:05 PM

I could sorta feel bad for GEM. But then remember he's a crook. So no, I don't feel bad. He does nothing but try to skirt the system.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 4:19 PM

Corbusier. Didn't he design that uncomfortable looking steel and cushions furniture that costs $15k per seat.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 7:13 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Manitoba Liquor and Gaming Authority announced that they're moving into retrofitted warehouse at the corner of Milt Stegall and Yukon in the St. James Industrial area. Basically between The Brick and Wal-Mart... about as drab a location for an office as you're going to find in this city, but I guess at least it's close to Polo Park

I don't think there's any word yet on MLLC, though. Speaking of which, is anything going on with the Medical Arts Building?

Last edited by esquire; Jan 8, 2018 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Manitoba Liquor and Gaming Authority announced that they're moving into retrofitted warehouse at the corner of Milt Stegall and Yukon in the St. James Industrial area. Basically between The Brick and Wal-Mart... about as drab a location for an office as you're going to find in this city, but I guess at least it's close to Polo Park

I don't think there's any word yet on MLLC, though. Speaking of which, is anything going on with the Medical Arts Building?
Not sure what's going on with the medical arts building, but Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries is located here:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89223.../data=!3m1!1e3

Which is a block away from where you said the LGA is planning on going. Don't know how much these two organizations really interact but being a block away from one another might be beneficial if employees often have to travel between locations.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 9:06 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ I guess it does speak to the strong possibility that MLLC could just end up moving the employees from Fort Garry up to St. James and just having everyone in the MLLC/MLGA universe in that neighbourhood. The only question is where would they go? I don't think there is a suitable building big enough for them... MLLC would have to do something similar to MLGA and renovate/convert a warehouse, or have something entirely new built for them.

It's been over a year since MLLC pulled the plug on the Medical Arts project, so you'd think they must be getting close to arriving at an answer.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 10:28 PM

But what is the latest on the medical arts building?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I guess it does speak to the strong possibility that MLLC could just end up moving the employees from Fort Garry up to St. James and just having everyone in the MLLC/MLGA universe in that neighbourhood. The only question is where would they go? I don't think there is a suitable building big enough for them... MLLC would have to do something similar to MLGA and renovate/convert a warehouse, or have something entirely new built for them.

It's been over a year since MLLC pulled the plug on the Medical Arts project, so you'd think they must be getting close to arriving at an answer.
You'd think, but I've also heard that the merger has been a "colossal" failure, in that there were extraordinary costs to it, but there really isn't a lot of crossover between both organizations. Sounds like in the end internally they have little faith there will be long term benefit.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
You'd think, but I've also heard that the merger has been a "colossal" failure, in that there were extraordinary costs to it, but there really isn't a lot of crossover between both organizations. Sounds like in the end internally they have little faith there will be long term benefit.
Perfect time then to privatize all liquor sales like everywhere else in the free world, keep the distribution in govt. hands and have all sales at privately owned outlets like in BC, Alberta, the US, Europe.......

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 7:53 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

id rather we loosened the liqure rules on open stuff in a park to only certan amount or somthing and allow us to mail stuff first.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:38 PM

keep liquor taxes where they are but privatize sales. there's no reason to be paying someone $20/hr+ and full government benefits to work a checkout at a liquor store.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:46 PM

with a lot of the brazen run and grab tactics happening at the lc's, the liquor mart does need to take a cue from the private places where they keep the hard stuff behind the counter if anything!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
keep liquor taxes where they are but privatize sales. there's no reason to be paying someone $20/hr+ and full government benefits to work a checkout at a liquor store.
This. Gov has often under-trained and overpaid.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:58 AM

Quote:
I shake my head when I see Superstore employees busting their butts for minimum wage and then stop at the empty liquor kiosk in Superstore with it’s 2-3 employees standing there twiddling their thumbs while making double minimum wage with benefits. At least in BC they allow a wine aisle in grocery stores and the wine is paid for a the checkout along with the rest of the groceries!

Manitoba needs to get with the times and do away with stand alone government liquor stores like it’s still 1966.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 4:41 PM

The challenge is more on the distribution side than the retail side, at least from my view. If you have private stores with a single wholesale source we are still going to have pretty much the same price in every store and the selection is still going to have the same constraints. Might as well keep in the way it is right now, at least we get some level of consistent medicore product offerings in every store.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 4:52 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I shake my head when I see Superstore employees busting their butts for minimum wage and then stop at the empty liquor kiosk in Superstore with it’s 2-3 employees standing there twiddling their thumbs while making double minimum wage with benefits. At least in BC they allow a wine aisle in grocery stores and the wine is paid for a the checkout along with the rest of the groceries!

Manitoba needs to get with the times and do away with stand alone government liquor stores like it’s still 1966.
Agreed. As soon as Manitoba gets there I can look forward to that becoming a reality in Saskatchewan within maybe ten years.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The challenge is more on the distribution side than the retail side, at least from my view. If you have private stores with a single wholesale source we are still going to have pretty much the same price in every store and the selection is still going to have the same constraints. Might as well keep in the way it is right now, at least we get some level of consistent medicore product offerings in every store.
Agreed that it wouldn't have too much affect on price and selection if we go halfway like this, but it would at least save the government a lot of money paying ridiculous wages to entry level jobs. And yes I know that we'd lose out on some profit from sales, but retail sales are not really a game the government should be playing in the first place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan