HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Once all the big glass is in, it's gonna be a nice modern building. I like it. But it's ever more apparent the centre lot of McMillan (come on), Pembina, Donald, and Osborne [yeesh] needs to be developed. Build a parkade in the centre with street-facing buildings all around. Hell, even putting a nice 4-6 storey building between & abutting BK and the jewelry/yoga building would make a massive impact (get rid of the drive thru). Hopefully Osborne Place and the coming apartment building will spur growth there - sometimes it just takes one person to step up to cause a domino effect.
I like the way you're thinking... that site could be phenomenal and so much more than it is. Lots of potential there, I hope it gets realized some day.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 9:46 PM

Even a tiny bit of mixed-use infill between the chiropractic and Burger King would make a word of difference to that block:

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 1:05 AM
BANNED

The more things...don't change, the more they stay the same. As much as I want to see change in Winnipeg, it will never happen.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Even a tiny bit of mixed-use infill between the chiropractic and Burger King would make a word of difference to that block:

Nice work!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 4:02 AM

Yeah that would literally be perfect. Obviously an entire fresh start for that whole property would be amazing, but at least 20 years away probably. Filling in that one gap would really help to connect (visually) Osborne and Corydon a little more.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 5:01 AM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
Some info in the Free Press today:
-Apparently three full floors have already been spoken for, with two other groups also interested
-Hoping to finish construction by the end of the year, and start the residential component early 2017
-Current plan for the residential (apartment) tower is 10-12 stories, but could go taller

link: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus....html#comments
Was the residential portion / tower cancelled? Was there any news on this?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 5:28 AM

Nope they said as soon as this building is complete then they'll move on to the next one.

It's making me really nervous that the Money Mart is still there and operating, as it was supposed to be torn down for the new bike lane... which is nearing completion for the part on Pembina. Maybe MM is planning on moving into Osborne Place and has to wait to move over before they vacate.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 4:54 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Bump...

I guess Phase I is almost complete, can't wait for the Apt. Phase II to begin.

No designs though, which is kind of odd.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Bump...

I guess Phase I is almost complete, can't wait for the Apt. Phase II to begin.

No designs though, which is kind of odd.
It seems like they got like 90% done and then stopped entirely. Part of the building still tarped, and some exterior panels still missing...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 5:12 PM

^Yeah, seems like nothing has happened the last 2 months. Wonder if they're rushing the inside for a tenant? I'm really curious how that giant void that looks like it's supposed to be windows – but isn't – is going to turn out.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 1:33 AM

One of the benefits of today's IKEA architecture is that with a life expectancy of 25 or 30 years, future generations won't have to look it at.

Quite similar really to the buildings constructed in the frontier days of the 1870s and 80s. Except for the more substantial structures, they were mostly gone by a The Great War.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 3:43 PM

Anyone heard if this building will have one of these:
https://youtu.be/bFghELLOpxU
Mentioned on the realtors site.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 5:07 PM

Anyone heard if they plan on finishing the building at all?

So confused by that big void facing north. It's supposed to be all glass yet there's no windows or doors behind it so i don't really understand what it's for.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Anyone heard if they plan on finishing the building at all?

So confused by that big void facing north. It's supposed to be all glass yet there's no windows or doors behind it so i don't really understand what it's for.
wasn't it going to have a bunch of large ad screens? it looks like there's mounts for them. maybe the City denied them?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
wasn't it going to have a bunch of large ad screens? it looks like there's mounts for them. maybe the City denied them?
No, that was the original proposal which got rejected. The second proposal, which is what they built, is completely different.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 7:58 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post

But I'm still a little underwhelmed by the project. For, I hate to over-use it, an iconic location in Winnipeg, couldn't they have designed something better or unique? It's called confusion corner for a reason, they could have had some funky designs going on and what we're getting is a white box that a three year old could come up with.
The design itself, with its small windows, is sort of "brutalist" in nature, though with a more "friendly" (non-concrete) skin.

As for a more "funky" design. I'm envisioning something on the main fl. Osborn St. side with some neon lights, similar to Plug-In. Or have MoneyMart move in and hang their bright yellow and black sign in the window.

A restaurant, but not a fast food one with a neon or bright sign.

That building needs presence at street level, something to liven it up visually.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
^Yeah, seems like nothing has happened the last 2 months. Wonder if they're rushing the inside for a tenant? I'm really curious how that giant void that looks like it's supposed to be windows – but isn't – is going to turn out.
So here we are two and a half months later and it looks like there is little if any progress. Is anything happening inside?

To my eyes it looks like they got to the 80% mark last summer and then just stopped... I would have expected the tenants to have moved in by now.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:23 PM

I drive by twice a day and haven't seen workers there in at least two months. Nothing's going on inside as far as I can see.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 5:49 PM

i don't recall if they ever announced who main tenant was going to be? You can get financing for building unless at good % of leases are in place. I doubt the building was built with cash.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 6:15 PM

IIRC they did say "a cafe" was going on the main floor, and people speculated about Tims, but that was just guessing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan