HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 11:12 PM

Saskatoon World Trade Center signs deal with China

By Adam MacVicar, Global News
January 9, 2018

World Trade Center Saskatoon has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with a new world trade center in Harbin, China.

The deal is aimed at growing agricultural trade between the two regions.

“It truly is limitless,” Don Atchison, with WTC Saskatoon, said Tuesday. “It could be in the billions of dollars.”

[........]

Read more:
https://globalnews.ca/news/3954753/m...a-agriculture/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Not sure of requirements, but a nice 5-10 storey office building in the downtown would be nice....
I am wondering if they are not one of the tenents who singed at River Landing.

Also maybe WTC Saskatoon will be a go... Maybe it will get bigger! (unlikely) hopefull news none the less.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Saskatoon World Trade Center signs deal with China

By Adam MacVicar, Global News
January 9, 2018

World Trade Center Saskatoon has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with a new world trade center in Harbin, China.

The deal is aimed at growing agricultural trade between the two regions.

“It truly is limitless,” Don Atchison, with WTC Saskatoon, said Tuesday. “It could be in the billions of dollars.”

[........]

Read more:
https://globalnews.ca/news/3954753/m...a-agriculture/
As if North Prairie pays Atchison to sign silly fake deals like this 😂. This seems like absolutely nothing will come out of this, and if anything gives me less faith that Atchison is working on getting any real tenants to this new building lol. This cracks me up. This is funnier than Dundurn’s megamall. I thought maybe they had the new Sask Health Authority potentially secured in this building, guess they’re just floating the idea of bringing companies that have no presence in Sask over just like the Dundurn megamall hahaha. Can I get Atchison’s job? I wonder what they pay him.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 11:31 AM

Did a little research, and doesn’t sound like WTC Harbin has any confirmed tenants as well, so they were in Saskatoon more looking for tenants versus having tenants for Saskatoon haha. They’ve signed quite a few of these MOU’s:
https://www.wtca.org/locations/world...cultural-trade

I love how Atchison floats news that isn’t real. Still hurting from the election loss, and obviously doing a bad job securing tenants at North Prairie.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 2:52 PM
Pure Phase

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molasses View Post
I highly respect Mr. Wallace and his expert opinion and feedback....he really must have been muzzled by the previous city hall administration, as his views now do not reflect the decisions made while he was head planner. I do believe he tried (as I heard him speak at a number of functions while he worked for the city) but unfortunately, his vision was not put into practice.

I agree with him that the build of a one story building is short sighted, but without building guidelines or regulations that call for that, the developer IS fully within his rights to build whatever he wants....so let's hope this changes for the future on Broadway and that the current developer builds a frickin' nice one story building!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:43 PM

My understanding was the city was going to release the land by Farmers Market (behind the ugly blue and white Sasktel building) this spring. Does anyone think Urban Capitol would consider that site, considering they are supposedly looking at Broadway property. too?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
My understanding was the city was going to release the land by Farmers Market (behind the ugly blue and white Sasktel building) this spring. Does anyone think Urban Capitol would consider that site, considering they are supposedly looking at Broadway property. too?
Theve been saying it will open up each year were in. First time i ever saw the parcel said fall 2014. Then kept going a year further for whatever reason. We would have a nice tower with parcel BB u/c right now. If they wouldve kept it open this whole time

But thats just me.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Did a little research, and doesn’t sound like WTC Harbin has any confirmed tenants as well, so they were in Saskatoon more looking for tenants versus having tenants for Saskatoon haha. They’ve signed quite a few of these MOU’s:
https://www.wtca.org/locations/world...cultural-trade

I love how Atchison floats news that isn’t real. Still hurting from the election loss, and obviously doing a bad job securing tenants at North Prairie.
The whole thing is kinda comical. Going from building the tallest building in Saskatchewan, to a tiny little 7 story. I thought they were supposed to start building in September.
I will believe it, when I see it.

Last edited by GTR200; Jan 13, 2018 at 6:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR200 View Post
The whole thing is kinda comical. Going from building the tallest building in Saskatchewan, to a tiny little 7 story. I thought they were supposed to start building in September.
The only hold up is they are waiting on specs to build a glass dome over the building.....

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR200 View Post
Sad thing is the core where that is being built( i hope it doesnt and plans change again ), is where our future taller/tallest should be. Im sure at some point even 20-30 years down the road someone will go over 30 storeys maybe closer to 40. If our core is plugged with 7-10 storey towers.. where will we build them? Or will we just have a bunch of minis all over.

Sad. Could there even be a minimum height set for some parcels?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Sad thing is the core where that is being built( i hope it doesnt and plans change again ), is where our future taller/tallest should be. Im sure at some point even 20-30 years down the road someone will go over 30 storeys maybe closer to 40. If our core is plugged with 7-10 storey towers.. where will we build them? Or will we just have a bunch of minis all over.

Sad. Could there even be a minimum height set for some parcels?
Luckily we have A LOT of open space downtown for development and even at our current, super robust compared to the previous 35 years, rates of development I dont think that land inventory will be a problem.

Currently, I believe, there is a height limit set for all of down town. Its only 10m though so basicly no one story buildings.

There are so many proposals still I dont see why they have to be trying to market another. i suppose they have the gimmic of the WTC title but really. There is still the 11 story river centre 2. The dream site across 20th from the theater the little 5 story office on 4th and the old police station just to name a few. So many options for so few interested.

I do believe that if the city does want companies to move downtown they need to help the businesses themselves with moving expenses like other cities. Its expensive to move and tax breaks are great for developers but it I dont believe that necessarily means that business will see any benefit from it.

Last edited by saskatoonborn; Jan 17, 2018 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 2:01 PM
Free as can be?

^^You absolutely do not have to give freebees to companies to move downtown. You just have to make it a level playing field. If it was, who the hell would want to be way out in the sticks on one side of town when you could be central to everyone?

The modus operandi for big cities is to tax and charge companies to the hilt for being central. In Saskatoon the council has done the same. The only thing is that the burbs ain't so far away here, and we've created the worst suburban hell in Canada. I'll be proving it with a doc I'm working on.

Although I love Saskatoon and was born here, what's happened in the last 30 years is nothing short of possibly the worst city planning in North America. And all just because it's cheap and convenient. That's the spin. Obviously it's very expensive and very inconvenient to concentrate on the expansion of single family homes with large yards in an almost Arctic environment. Our quality of life could be so much better by embracing city living. More to come.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 10:17 AM

Can barely stand it anymore!!

Oh my gawd!!!

So many people on this thread just rant and rave like the most arrogant, holier than thou, I/we know better than anyone and everyone else what’s good for them, soap box preachers!!

It gets a little stomach churning.

People vote for what they want with their wallets. It’s great to yearn for a walkable, transit-riding, no one owns a car, everyone lives on top of each other like rats in cages all stacked up that never see the sun or plant flowes or vegetables except in community gardens, bike riding in minus 30c on snow tires 6” thick through completely empty bike lanes... kind of city, but it’s mostly bull shit!

Could we please have a little recognition and respect that a lot of people don’t want to live like that, and it doesn’t matter how Pollyanna you want to be about densification, zoning and city planning; that economics drives most decisions and you can’t legislate bad economic choices on people, because if you do two things will happen: they won’t invest or spend any money, and they’ll move elsewhere where there aren’t a bunch of vocal tiny minority overlords trying to tell them how to live, while those same overlords have their hands in people’s wallets trying to extract money to make them pay for want they don’t want!

Can we please bring a bit of sane, balanced reasonableness back to the comments?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTownRob View Post
Oh my gawd!!!

So many people on this thread just rant and rave like the most arrogant, holier than thou, I/we know better than anyone and everyone else what’s good for them, soap box preachers!!

It gets a little stomach churning.

People vote for what they want with their wallets. It’s great to yearn for a walkable, transit-riding, no one owns a car, everyone lives on top of each other like rats in cages all stacked up that never see the sun or plant flowes or vegetables except in community gardens, bike riding in minus 30c on snow tires 6” thick through completely empty bike lanes... kind of city, but it’s mostly bull shit!

Could we please have a little recognition and respect that a lot of people don’t want to live like that, and it doesn’t matter how Pollyanna you want to be about densification, zoning and city planning; that economics drives most decisions and you can’t legislate bad economic choices on people, because if you do two things will happen: they won’t invest or spend any money, and they’ll move elsewhere where there aren’t a bunch of vocal tiny minority overlords trying to tell them how to live, while those same overlords have their hands in people’s wallets trying to extract money to make them pay for want they don’t want!

Can we please bring a bit of sane, balanced reasonableness back to the comments?
You don't like the comments, you don't have to reply. It's a forum and everyone here has a right to express their opinion whether you agree with it or not.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 1:28 PM
^^*^^

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 2:09 PM
Free as can be?

Sorry guys. I've said my share for a while. But rat cages? And was that a preface to a rant? No one anywhere wants to take away single family homes. They're v-cool places to live. And why get rid of cars? Saskatoon's way too cold! We're just so far out of balance here. At least I got ya thinking! Cheers!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTownRob View Post
Oh my gawd!!!
Sorry, but sane, balanced reasonableness has no place on an internet forum...

You're not the first one to point out that many here would like to dictate how others should live. Don't get too worked up about it, though. As you point out, people will vote with their wallets and buy homes where they want to live. If there is adequate demand for downtown, highrise living, developers will build that type of housing. If not, suburban living will continue to dominate the new housing market.

Development is shaped by money - simple as that.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 6:00 PM

Suburbia is the mode of urban development that is most heavily subsidized.

There would be MANY more people opting for dense (or even not-so-dense) urban living, as rational actors in a market-driven system, if the true cost of development was reflected in the price of tract housing properties.

Having a fully-serviced plot of land with enough room for dirt yard, gravel driveway, and a great snout of a two-car garage poking out into a cul-de-sac is a luxury, not a god given right, and it's about time that it should be treated as such.

Last edited by phone; Jan 16, 2018 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 9:04 PM

Cushman & Wakefield has removed the page re: Midtown redevelopment from their website

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan