HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 11:28 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Mendel? You mental? That will never happen.

Plenty of parking lots to build on first, why tear down buildings that are occupied, just for some offices....
This happens all the time. The City does not force developers to build on parking lots that they don't even own.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 11:30 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmx View Post
Before we put up a bunch of skyscrapers we need great designers. Any news about the U of S School of Architecture? To improve the skyline, I think will require significant homegrown talent.
Why can't architects from elsewhere design buildings for Saskatoon as happens almost everywhere else?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:31 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 602
No mention of head offices in this announcement

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/agriu...ived-1.3667022
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 11:00 PM
Dalreg's Avatar
Dalreg Dalreg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
This happens all the time. The City does not force developers to build on parking lots that they don't even own.
Nor does the city force developers to buy portions of shopping centres (ie Sears) to build office buildings.

Or art galleries (Mendel) that are already mark for redevelopment.....
__________________
Blow this popsicle stand
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 10:02 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 602
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 6:05 PM
Yeff's Avatar
Yeff Yeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 37
FTC approval was granted this morning and the merger is set to close on January 1st. CEO Chuck Magro will be living in Calgary with a secondary residence in Saskatoon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:13 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 602
Merger done but this article makes it sound like large office in Calgary and token head office in Saskatoon. Should have known that would happen.

http://www.ckom.com/2018/01/02/211328/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:27 PM
Yeff's Avatar
Yeff Yeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Merger done but this article makes it sound like large office in Calgary and token head office in Saskatoon. Should have known that would happen.

http://www.ckom.com/2018/01/02/211328/
That article means nothing whatsoever. Staff numbers will be increasing overall in Saskatoon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 6:49 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 602
Thanks Yeff, good to hear, you must have insider knowledge
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 8:28 PM
saskatoonborn saskatoonborn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 255
I am pretty sure that Potash Corp still has a large office in Chicago or Boston (whichever). I could see a number of those jobs being transfered into Saskatoon and Calgary downsizing that office. not immdeiately maybe but in the next year or 2.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 10:36 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
I am pretty sure that Potash Corp still has a large office in Chicago or Boston (whichever). I could see a number of those jobs being transfered into Saskatoon and Calgary downsizing that office. not immdeiately maybe but in the next year or 2.
That's a good point. Why have 3 "head" offices. I do think it is likely to evolve as Saskatoon being the potash and perhaps phosphate head office, Calgary being the Chief Executive Office and retail operation head office and Chicago being the U.S. branch office and chief sales office.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 10:49 PM
Yeff's Avatar
Yeff Yeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 37
Nutrien has four Corporate offices in Saskatoon (registered head office), Calgary, Loveland, CO (outside Denver), and Northbrook, IL (outside Chicago). Northbrook will become primarily a sales office, and the company also has a significant footprint of retail offices and locations in North America and around the world, details of which can be found here:

https://www.nutrien.com/offices

Both Saskatoon and Calgary are expected to be strong going forward and continue to grow in size from what I've heard.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 11:48 PM
saskatoonborn saskatoonborn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 255
Thanks for the clarification Yeff!

Do you happen to know where most of the executives will have offices? I know Magro will have a primary office in Calgary with a second here in Saskatoon and Tilk will be primarily here. But everyone else is a mystery.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:50 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Thanks for the clarification Yeff!

Do you happen to know where most of the executives will have offices? I know Magro will have a primary office in Calgary with a second here in Saskatoon and Tilk will be primarily here. But everyone else is a mystery.
From what I understand the CEO and most of the execs will be in Calgary. I have seen this movie before in Regina with Wascana Energy, Ipsco/Evraz, Crown Life/Canada Life, etc. Once the CEO and senior execs are gone, it is never the same. Not only do these extremely wealthy people contribute a lot to the fabric of the community, but they also attract all sorts of outside consulting, legal, accounting and other support jobs or at least such people visiting the head office from elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:26 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 3,349
Brad Wall tweet touting 15% more corporate office jobs in Saskatoon following merger.
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:40 PM
prairieguy prairieguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 885
Well that sounds "good", but what number does 15% more translate into. I mean I guess it is much better then actually loosing positions, but is it enough to really celebrate the impact of the merger on Saskatoon? Not being sarcastic, it is a legit question that I am looking for feedback on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:48 PM
Arts Arts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Brad Wall tweet touting 15% more corporate office jobs in Saskatoon following merger.
Probably 15% more "new" positions to replace 15% of "old" jobs that were under the Potashcorp name. Same way the SP took credit for creating a "Growth and Financial Security Fund"
(by simply transferring all $1.3B that was in the existing rainy day fund under an account by a different named setup by the previous NDP governmet).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:54 PM
saskatoonborn saskatoonborn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 255
Using the, somewhat dated, linked article as reference, PCS had about 300 corporate office jobs so 15% of that is ~45 more jobs and 11 senior executives which would make about 12 or 13 senior executives if they also increase by 15%.

Now currently there are 14 executives listed on the Nutrien website and with a dead split between who was formerly PCS and Agrium so I highly doubt that there will be 12 to 13 executives in Saskatoon. Executives of retail and Nitrogen will likely be in Calgary or somewhere in the US. I would be surprised if we gained executive jobs, I think we will be lucky to maintain between 9 and 11 honestly.

However 50 more people is a pretty good addition.

Edit: Good Point Arts.... hopefully no trickery also article I forgot

http://www.financialpost.com/potash+...584/story.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:52 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Using the, somewhat dated, linked article as reference, PCS had about 300 corporate office jobs so 15% of that is ~45 more jobs and 11 senior executives which would make about 12 or 13 senior executives if they also increase by 15%.

Now currently there are 14 executives listed on the Nutrien website and with a dead split between who was formerly PCS and Agrium so I highly doubt that there will be 12 to 13 executives in Saskatoon. Executives of retail and Nitrogen will likely be in Calgary or somewhere in the US. I would be surprised if we gained executive jobs, I think we will be lucky to maintain between 9 and 11 honestly.

However 50 more people is a pretty good addition.

Edit: Good Point Arts.... hopefully no trickery also article I forgot

http://www.financialpost.com/potash+...584/story.html
I don't see much reason to believe there will be more than a couple of execs in Saskatoon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:42 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 602
Sounds like the shell game, the FP article you showed from 2011 said PCS to increase jobs from 209 to 300 jobs by the end of 2013, but this article from today says they will increase corporate jobs by 15% to 300 jobs. So someone didn't meet their commitment but so we should trust what they say now?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...sask-1.4473228
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:12 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.