HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
my thread, my thoughts, my right to write them. don't like it? too bad. i hate what the gop is doing to what used to be the least stupid and backward of the southern states. don't expect me to like being dragged back to the 50's. my mother already lived through them once and tells me they weren't all that much fun for anyone who wasn't a rich, white, straight male.
THANK YOU!

It is beyond obvious that the people having such an issue are either totally ignorant of what is going on there at the moment, or are right wingers themselves and simply don't give a shit.

The GOP is in the process of dismantling everything that was progressive about North Carolina. This includes seriously trying to suppress the right to fucking VOTE. If you don't care, then STFU and move on.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:
my thread, my thoughts, my right to write them. don't like it? too bad. i hate what the gop is doing to what used to be the least stupid and backward of the southern states. don't expect me to like being dragged back to the 50's. my mother already lived through them once and tells me they weren't all that much fun for anyone who wasn't a rich, white, straight male.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
THANK YOU!

It is beyond obvious that the people having such an issue are either totally ignorant of what is going on there at the moment, or are right wingers themselves and simply don't give a shit.

The GOP is in the process of dismantling everything that was progressive about North Carolina. This includes seriously trying to suppress the right to fucking VOTE. If you don't care, then STFU and move on.
You're both missing the point by a country mile. You're swinging your sword of righteousness and lopping off the heads of those you think are disagreeing with you, when they're really just asking you to take your sword outside.

City Photos is not the forum for hostile political bickering and culture wars. We're all here because we like cities, photography, neighborhoods, buildings, and such. Go to Skybar if you want to get angry about politics.

We've lost a lost of great posters in recent years and the forum has really suffered for it. Let's not chase away any more people with bickering and hostility. This thread's commentary had a nasty, baiting tone and it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, regardless of where they stand on the issues. It's not about how evil the North Carolina GOP is or isn't. That's what you're focusing on. It's about you being an antagonistic dick on our forums. This just isn't the place for it.

Our photography forums should have an atmosphere of civility and neutrality. You're rocking that boat, and people are calling you out for it.

I enjoyed the photos of Raleigh, and think it seems like a nice city. But none of us are talking about that, are we?

City Photos for city photos
Skybar for partisan bickering

Please.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 4:40 PM

Quote:
You're both missing the point by a country mile.
No, you're missing the point. It's a forum. It's not like someone else randomly interjected into the thread. The OP did and did so because what's happening in NC is a big deal.

Quote:
City Photos is not the forum for hostile political bickering and culture wars.
You are dismissing the significance of what is happening. Maybe you are unaware or maybe you don't care. Obviously you don't want to see it here. That's fine then, you disagree. You dislike it and you noted it.

Telling the OP what he or she can say in their original commentary is actually being a dick, One more time - it's a forum.

Saying that there is a political sub forum is like saying "why is NBC showing a football - ESPN is the sports network.

Quote:
I enjoyed the photos of Raleigh, and think it seems like a nice city. But none of us are talking about that, are we?
Then stop talking about it. It's that easy. Ignore it. It's that easy.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 6:58 PM
Red October standing by

why not allow OP political commentary to go with the photos, especially if they photos have a political bent to them?

the downside comes from some of the replies.

IMO, the risk is worth it (as long as things don't get out of hand).

-

-fflint

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 11:20 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
in my opinion, when discussing capitals, those damp holes where the fungus of politics thrives, it is appropriate to discuss politics. it is also appropriate to discuss them in the context of such things as raleigh's museums, which would never, ever get built in today's teapublican climate. therefore, in discussing politics in this thread, i am merely stating the sad truth that my state used to be progressive -- up to and including building one of the nation's better collections of museums. with state money. in the 1950's.

and today? today's gop fights to shutter county libraries, for christ's sake! that's why i brought it all up. this state is currently going through the political equivalent of the sacking of rome and most of what you see in this thread are the grand monuments that will be left in ruins by the time these people get done.

am i angry about it? goddamn right i am, and it came out. has my life been threatened by politicians' actions in raleigh? yes, because they want to do away with the nc aids drug assistance program, and i'm angry about that too, and that came out also.

however, i am willing to drop it if the truth offends that badly. want to discuss the pictures? by all means. don't whine about my political observations, and i'll do you all the courtesy of keeping quiet about them also.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 2:20 AM

Quote:
in my opinion, when discussing capitals, those damp holes where the fungus of politics thrives, it is appropriate to discuss politics. it is also appropriate to discuss them in the context of such things as raleigh's museums, which would never, ever get built in today's teapublican climate. therefore, in discussing politics in this thread, i am merely stating the sad truth that my state used to be progressive -- up to and including building one of the nation's better collections of museums. with state money. in the 1950's.

and today? today's gop fights to shutter county libraries, for christ's sake! that's why i brought it all up. this state is currently going through the political equivalent of the sacking of rome and most of what you see in this thread are the grand monuments that will be left in ruins by the time these people get done.

am i angry about it? goddamn right i am, and it came out. has my life been threatened by politicians' actions in raleigh? yes, because they want to do away with the nc aids drug assistance program, and i'm angry about that too, and that came out also.

however, i am willing to drop it if the truth offends that badly. want to discuss the pictures? by all means. don't whine about my political observations, and i'll do you all the courtesy of keeping quiet about them also.
You are one of the most valued and loved members of this forum, hauntedheadnc.

I honestly don't think you should be forced to acquiesce to anyone here.

Regardless, I totally have your back no matter what the outcome is. We are neighbors, and I am personally sickened by what is going on right next door. We could very well be next for this insanity.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundertubs View Post
You're both missing the point by a country mile. You're swinging your sword of righteousness and lopping off the heads of those you think are disagreeing with you, when they're really just asking you to take your sword outside.

City Photos is not the forum for hostile political bickering and culture wars. We're all here because we like cities, photography, neighborhoods, buildings, and such. Go to Skybar if you want to get angry about politics.

We've lost a lost of great posters in recent years and the forum has really suffered for it. Let's not chase away any more people with bickering and hostility. This thread's commentary had a nasty, baiting tone and it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, regardless of where they stand on the issues. It's not about how evil the North Carolina GOP is or isn't. That's what you're focusing on. It's about you being an antagonistic dick on our forums. This just isn't the place for it.

Our photography forums should have an atmosphere of civility and neutrality. You're rocking that boat, and people are calling you out for it.

City Photos for city photos
Skybar for partisan bickering

Please.
I totally understand what you are saying, Thundertubs. You are a huge contributor to this site, and many people including myself have enjoyed your wonderful travels AND your documentation of them for years now.

That being said, this is hauntedhead's thread. If he deems it important to include commentary on the travesty of what is occurring in North Carolina right now with his great shots of Raleigh, I honestly believe that he has that right.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 9:03 PM

Quote:

I would never argue with someone's right to say their opinion's. However, said person should be prepared to defend those opinions with more than empty rhetoric and ad hominem attacks.

The North Carolina Museum of Art was built in 1947 with funds from the state legislature. A legislature that, sure enough, was controlled by democrats. Surely such a period of time (1940's and 50's) must have been a golden age for minorities, the downtrodden and women, right? I mean, surely no one was oppressed during that time.

The reason it wouldn't get built today? The reason programs you personally care about (along with lots of others) are being defunded? WE ARE OUT OF MONEY. Like many countries around the world, we have to tighten our belt. As much as I care about the arts, given the choice between clean drinking water, enough policeman, teachers, fireman, roads, etc. and an art museum or a library, the former are going to win out every time. And let's not blow things out of proportion. No one needs to start chaining themselves in front of the Museum of Art to stave off the bulldozers any time soon.

Should our taxes go up to pay for it? Should we just put a special tax on rich republicans (Note: there are plenty of rich democrats as well)? Unless you want to simply seize funds like you're impersonating Stalin, the world doesn't work that way. The people in control right at the moment simply get to be the bad guy during a rough period.

I agree it got this way through mismanagement and pork-barrel spending, but that was done by both parties over a long period of time.

Again, I've lived in North Carolina all my life. I have no special attachment to either party. Party politics, and some people's slavish devotion to one party or another, are the cause of most of this country's problems. Both parties are in control, and both are rich. Both give in to special interest groups and lobbyists, and members of both often become lobbyists when they leave office. These are the sorts of issues we should be concerned with first. The rest are just filler and smokescreens.

As a final note, making a one sided political rant where you resort to name calling only makes you look bad, and cheapens any point you may have tried to make. We are all entitled to an opinion, but we have a choice about whether or not we want to be the loud drunk at the bar when sharing it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 10:26 PM
Future God

North Carolina conservatives couldn't stop at simply ruining the state itself. They had to ruin this photo thread too.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 10:37 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA View Post
I would never argue with someone's right to say their opinion's. blah, blah, blah...
dear heart, i have one broken wrist and one sprained one, and as much as i would enjoy verbally tearing you into bite-sized pieces, you aren't worth the effort right now. however, the people who have been and will be hurt or killed, and the people who will be discriminated against because of gop policies are worth my effort. thankfully, i'm not alone, and i can do more face to face than i can arguing with the willfully blind on the internet. i care about the people who will be strangled when the belt tightens. you don't -- that's the difference between a progressive like me and a conservative like you.

enjoy your time in power. if moral monday is any indication, it will be brief.

finally, we've both been asked to drop the argument, so fucking drop it. if you want to bitch at me, do it in private like a civilized human being.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:54 PM

Do you know what would help the victims of the belt tighteners more than complaining about the incumbent party? Volunteering at a food shelter, helping to build houses for the homeless or donating to a charity. This is what I'm doing, instead of waiting around for the government to do it and pretending one political party or the other really gives a crap.

If those 2000 "activists" for Moral Monday bothered to do any of these things instead of wasting their time marching on the capital, they might actually accomplish something worthwhile.

You simply assume anyone that doesn't immediately agree with you is a) a conservative, and b) evil. So instead of arguing any of the facts, you try to make the other person look like the bad guy.

Apparently that's the difference between a liberal like you and an independent like myself.

Again, enjoyed the pictures.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 3:19 PM

Todd, you dismissing of the moral activists says a lot.

That's exactly what they want. That's right. Don't protest... just go off and do something meanwhile we'll continue to legislate the state back to 1950.

I doubt your comment is as naive as it sounds.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
I totally understand what you are saying, Thundertubs. You are a huge contributor to this site, and many people including myself have enjoyed your wonderful travels AND your documentation of them for years now.

That being said, this is hauntedhead's thread. If he deems it important to include commentary on the travesty of what is occurring in North Carolina right now with his great shots of Raleigh, I honestly believe that he has that right.
This is true...the comments are simply about how it ruins the thread. Of course it is his choice if he want to have a shitty thread rather than a great one.

I'm far from a conservative, but I just wanted to see some photos. I can get the commentary elsewhere and it really made the thread much worse, no matter what your personal views. Does that not make sense to some people?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 9:29 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
This is true...the comments are simply about how it ruins the thread. Of course it is his choice if he want to have a shitty thread rather than a great one.

I'm far from a conservative, but I just wanted to see some photos. I can get the commentary elsewhere and it really made the thread much worse, no matter what your personal views. Does that not make sense to some people?
it would be a delightful thread if only you and yours would put your money where your mouth is and actually discuss the damn photos. i've offered to do so, so why won't you?

personally, though, i do just have to say that since this thread has garnered the most views and responses of just about any thread i've ever posted, i'm thrilled with it all.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the Raleigh tour! That aluminum tree was over the top!!!: Loved seeing the metal globe of the world, the outdoor sculptures and love seeing the sitting benches downtown.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 11:21 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Thanks for the Raleigh tour! That aluminum tree was over the top!!!: Loved seeing the metal globe of the world, the outdoor sculptures and love seeing the sitting benches downtown.
And thank you for viewing. Metal trees seem to be a thing in North Carolina. The next town south of here has a metal apple tree standing downtown to honor its county's apple farming heritage, and there's a giant abstract sculpture of a tree here in Asheville standing in the little plaza in front of the federal building.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
it would be a delightful thread if only you and yours would put your money where your mouth is and actually discuss the damn photos. i've offered to do so, so why won't you?

personally, though, i do just have to say that since this thread has garnered the most views and responses of just about any thread i've ever posted, i'm thrilled with it all.
Your commentary just ruined it...congratulations, it sounds like you're very proud.

It's the last photo thread of yours I will waste time entering.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 11:27 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
Your commentary just ruined it...congratulations, it sounds like you're very proud.

It's the last photo thread of yours I will waste time entering.
You realize you could've just done that without being a fucking self-righteous drama queen and bumping an old thread all the way to the top so everyone would be aware of your disapproval, as if it meant anything.

Beyond that though, really, what a bizarre statement to make. 'I disagree with your political viewpoints, so I refuse to look at any photograph taken by you ever again.' Could you be any more petty and childish?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 12:53 AM

^bwahahaha

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 3:27 AM
Oak City

Good photos, hauntedhead.

Can't we all stop fighting and just agree that Raleigh is awesome even if the state capital building isn't the best. Raleigh has won a Stanley Cup so nyan nyan nyan to everyone who hasn't!

Fayetteville street can get pretty busy on weekends. They still block it off what feels like almost every weekend (or at least once or twice a month) for events and festivals downtown. We have a ton of them. We're the Austin Of The East after all.

Also, about "City of Oaks" - I've noticed that Raleigh is just inside the dividing line between the rolling hills of the Piedmont and the flat, pine trees of the coastal plane. Go south or east of Raleigh and immediately it is flat with nothing but pines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos