HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
I have not been to austin since SXSW a couple of years ago. went once before that. my best friend is from there. loved it

is all this development pushing some of the quirky stuff to other streets and places? My first glimpse of austin was the movie "slacker"
Well, it depends how you define "quirky". South Congress (and 78704 in general) is certainly a lot more upscale than it used to be. The east side probably has more of the feel that South Congress did 10-20 years ago. Of course that area is gentrifying rapidly too, and so unless the city stops growing it certainly won't be permanent.

If you are talking about Austin in general, I think it's still quirky. Certainly in comparison to Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio (though each of those cities have their own gentrifying hipster movements), but the nature of the quirkiness has changed over time and will continue to do so.

The slacker culture at this point would probably fit better in San Marcos or San Antonio. Austin is bit expensive to live in for an extended period of time without some kind of serious career. But the city still has incredible per-capita music and nightlife scenes and is full of highly educated people with diverse but frequently progressive viewpoints.

The thing with Austin is that the growth, gentrification, etc is not new at all! It has been going on since the 1930s. So I think that's why everyone seems to think that Austin peaked the year they moved here. There is no singular definition of "old Austin" or what exactly Austin is and should be.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 12:18 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
As a resident of South Lamar, I have to say everything that has and is happening in the area is dope and makes my day to day living better.

I now have about 20 walkable bars and restaurants that I like and an amazing movie theater.

Vs.... some fast food and used car lots that were here when I was a kid?

Change is inevitable and sometimes things I love (Fran's hamburgers, Artz Ribhouse) feel the squeeze of growth and urbanization. But change is constant, and I'd rather Austin keep growing for the better becoming denser than the alternative.

Beloved places always come and go, and Id rather they do so because of increasing rent and competition instead of lack of business.
Yeah, I agree. Change is difficult at times, but in the case of most of Austin, it truly is for the better. People like to view the past through nostalgic lenses that aren't quite clear (or accurate)...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:12 AM

I didn't mean to come off as a nimby and as I re-read my last post, its exactly how I sounded. Total fail, because I absolutely agree with drummer, I thought Austin was cool when I moved here, and even more now. I'm in a position where I meet a ton of people moving to Austin. Today, 2 from San Jose. I couldn't stop bragging about Austin and complimenting their decision to move here. Spending much of my time in NYC, mostly Brooklyn before moving here, I liked the grittiest parts of town, including East 11th. Got an out of town friend a date there once. If I talk with fondness about Austin past, consider it a history lesson for those who didn't experience it back then. There was a strong foundation of cool in place for today's cool to build on. BUT, there HAS to be some residual vintage Austin throughout town and SOCO to keep it from becoming generic. I'm ok if people from Philadelphia would want to open an authentic cheese steak restaurant on SOCO instead of an Austin original, as long as it doesn't displace an Austin original. So what this all boils down to with all my rambling is....why don't we have an authentic Philly Cheesesteak restaurant in Austin?

Last edited by the Genral; Dec 12, 2017 at 3:34 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:30 AM
World Traveler

Quit talking about delicious food...the guy who lives in China has to read this stuff, and keep in mind that delicious Western food is not readily available here outside of the major cities and for a price. You guys torture me with this stuff!!

That said, I hear you, Genral. I don't hear you saying development is bad, just that the old Austin was good. These two statements are not mutually exclusive in and of themselves...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:42 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
So what this all boils down to with all my rambling is....why don't we have an authentic Philly Cheesesteak restaurant in Austin?
https://waysouthphilly.wordpress.com

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Delaware Subs makes a good one too!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean to come off as a nimby and as I re-read my last post, its exactly how I sounded. Total fail, because I absolutely agree with drummer, I thought Austin was cool when I moved here, and even more now. I'm in a position where I meet a ton of people moving to Austin. Today, 2 from San Jose. I couldn't stop bragging about Austin and complimenting their decision to move here. Spending much of my time in NYC, mostly Brooklyn before moving here, I liked the grittiest parts of town, including East 11th. Got an out of town friend a date there once. If I talk with fondness about Austin past, consider it a history lesson for those who didn't experience it back then. There was a strong foundation of cool in place for today's cool to build on. BUT, there HAS to be some residual vintage Austin throughout town and SOCO to keep it from becoming generic. I'm ok if people from Philadelphia would want to open an authentic cheese steak restaurant on SOCO instead of an Austin original, as long as it doesn't displace an Austin original. So what this all boils down to with all my rambling is....why don't we have an authentic Philly Cheesesteak restaurant in Austin?
Cause cheesesteaks are for Yanks. Tacos are for texans!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Cause cheesesteaks are for Yanks. Tacos are for texans!
Philly cheesesteak tacos????!!!! For us Yankxans.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:03 PM

360 Pano including The Independent

https://kuula.co/post/7lcbk/collection/7fWCl

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Philly cheesesteak tacos????!!!! For us Yankxans.
Now that could be a quirky Austin "fusion" idea I could get behind...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 9:32 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Cheesesteak? Try Tucci's Southside Subs on 35 & William Cannon.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_guy View Post
360 pano including the independent

https://kuula.co/post/7lcbk/collection/7fwcl
fuck yessssssss

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 1:22 AM
JACKinBeantown

Fuck yes indeed.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Fuck yes indeed.
Block 185 HAS to be a super tall. Good lord the presentation would be epic

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 4:16 PM

That was awesome.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 5:58 PM

Fareground to open on January 18th.

https://austin.eater.com/2017/12/14/...n-january-2018

The plaza itself has been open for a couple of months now, but it's taken a good bit longer to get the food outlets finished up.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:53 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_guy View Post
360 Pano including The Independent

https://kuula.co/post/7lcbk/collection/7fWCl
Few observations. Block 185, in ahealy's words "HAS to be a super tall." This is obviously fact.

Also, Butler Shores is almost begging for a soccer stadium. This is also fact.

Lastly, I'm excited to see what happens with the South Shore stuff once that finally comes about...that area is so ready for more density. Also fact.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the two Silicon Labs buildings need to go and get replaced with something at least in the 500+ ft range... (fact)

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Few observations. Block 185, in ahealy's words "HAS to be a super tall." This is obviously fact.

Also, Butler Shores is almost begging for a soccer stadium. This is also fact.

Lastly, I'm excited to see what happens with the South Shore stuff once that finally comes about...that area is so ready for more density. Also fact.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the two Silicon Labs buildings need to go and get replaced with something at least in the 500+ ft range... (fact)
I like your first three facts. One can't argue againsts facts. But the Silicon Labs buildings are there to stay for a while. They are both in the process of being basically gutted and updated with a Gensler design.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 4:44 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I like your first three facts. One can't argue againsts facts. But the Silicon Labs buildings are there to stay for a while. They are both in the process of being basically gutted and updated with a Gensler design.
Well, I'll take three out of four.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I'm happy if they stay. They are high quality buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin