HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
The other option I don’t ever hear getting talked about is hydro electric. Yeah building dams would probably kill the great Salt Lake.... but who cares. The great Salt Lake is probably one of the biggest waste of water on this entire planet. I think it would be a lot better to build dams that can be used to turn turbines for electricity... and also store it for consumption.
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the air quality there take a huge hit the more the lake dries up? Sounds like a pretty useful body of water to me

I believe it’s similar to the Dead Sea, which plays a vital role to the environment around it and they both help keep pollution somewhat down and they are both drying up pretty fast.

Can you imagine how much of that sediment will be floating in the air if you were to do that, I would only think that would impact quality of life, and the desirability of the area

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 6:34 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I wish that map was live and interactive. Seattle has a very useful one: http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/shapingseattle/map.aspx
Ooo that's nice, thanks for sharing Orlando. I especially like that "Land Use Permit" map thing. I think Isaac has something similar on his page?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
It isn't disingenuous. We are talking about base load power. We can and will produce a portion of that fom renewable over the next century but we will not cannot replace all bas load power with renewables. This isn't a renewables vs nuclear conversation. This is a coal vs nuclear conversation.

The real question is; What is safe coal?
Climate Myth: Renewables can't provide baseload power

What The Science Says:
Numerous case studies on both regional and global scales have determined that renewable energy, if properly implemented, can provide baseload power.

More info at: skepticalscience.com

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the air quality there take a huge hit the more the lake dries up? Sounds like a pretty useful body of water to me

I believe it’s similar to the Dead Sea, which plays a vital role to the environment around it and they both help keep pollution somewhat down and they are both drying up pretty fast.

Can you imagine how much of that sediment will be floating in the air if you were to do that, I would only think that would impact quality of life, and the desirability of the area
It is important to Colorado too. Around 45% of the water that evaporates off the lake ends up back in the lake(precipitation ). Guess where the rest of it goes.

Most of the water that evaporates off the lake stays in the Colorado basin. Whatever makes it over the continental divide doesn't but that's still important to cities like Denver.

For this reason I think the other colorado River states should be encouraging Utah to focus any new water development within the great Salt Lake basin(including allocating adequate water specifically for the lake) Much of that water gets used by the colorado river states at least one more time. The water that evaporates further south in Utah largely does not.

The Wasatch range, the Uintahs, the Front range. These are all fantastic nets for catching water. They need the GSL to feed them.

Last edited by Liberty Wellsian; Dec 18, 2018 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:45 AM

Pick your spot for a 2030 Olympic Village

mine

N campus Drive, the parking lot just North of the Merrill Engineering Building
With views like that it is a shame that it is a parking lot. I'd prefer this didn't become student housing though. Land swap with SLC. Sell the units after and add some valuable taxable property to the books. I think this spot has more value to SLC than the University.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Pick your spot for a 2030 Olympic Village
My choice is the current UTA bus storage depot (NW corner of 600W and 200S).

The buses will be moving to the new depot to the south in a few years. The block is in an RDA area and is close to high frequency transit options.

The block is expected to include housing and retail already, why not make 1/4 to 1/2 of the housing student housing for the U (after using it for the athletes)? The Student Housing could be for students working on graduate degrees freeing up some on campus housing for undergrads.

This would help speed the transition of the Central Station area while also adding more student housing. The student housing could also attract additional student housing and university resources to the area. This could lead to off-campus classrooms within some of new commercial projects nearby creating an urban 2nd campus over time. It could be called the University of Utah Downtown campus.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:01 PM

^^^ I like it. I was a grad student at the U, and student housing for grad students was sorely lacking. I think it was around an 18 month wait list to get into it.
I've also thought more student, or student-oriented, housing should be built along the Redline, as there is limited housing on campus and some students would rather live downtown and commute up the hill with their free transit pass.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 10:55 PM

Does anyone out there know what is going on at the Patrinley Block? I was downtown today and noticed a piece of construction equipment working on a fenced-off portion of the southern end of the block?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:29 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
N campus Drive, the parking lot just North of the Merrill Engineering Building
You mean the only decent place to park on campus for hundreds of people?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:12 AM

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:33 AM

Quote:
So is that supposed to be a vision from a long time ago?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:27 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
If downtown ever ended up looking like that in my lifetime, I'd adopt you all as my children, then go vegan at the same time.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
My choice is the current UTA bus storage depot (NW corner of 600W and 200S).

The buses will be moving to the new depot to the south in a few years. The block is in an RDA area and is close to high frequency transit options.

The block is expected to include housing and retail already, why not make 1/4 to 1/2 of the housing student housing for the U (after using it for the athletes)? The Student Housing could be for students working on graduate degrees freeing up some on campus housing for undergrads.

This would help speed the transition of the Central Station area while also adding more student housing. The student housing could also attract additional student housing and university resources to the area. This could lead to off-campus classrooms within some of new commercial projects nearby creating an urban 2nd campus over time. It could be called the University of Utah Downtown campus.
I like this idea a lot.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
From Envision Utah -- the site says it was posted in 2008. Could at least be an idea for what they were thinking for that parking lot on 400 S State, if nothing else.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Looking at this for a moment, it isn't that far off from how the view may look in just a few years, just start by looking at the East side of State Street for a moment.

Start at 1st South, the image is missing Tower 8 or has the older stumpy version. Then there is the 151 building with a flat roof, slightly behind the Maverick HQ. 2nd and 2nd (Birdie) coming but shorter, same with the one to the south. Back on State, 255 S is shown but taller than currently projected (single tower version).

This leaves the last 2 towers along 4th South. There have been plans for 2 towers at that location back before Dell Hansen had his run in with Rocky before the last recession (twin 500'+ residential buildings). Since then the property has changed hands a few times and always with plans for 2 towers.

East of State Street, missing The Regent but showing the Carl's Jr. lot redeveloped. It is missing the antennae on the Walker Building. The building(s) NW of 111 could be the combination of 90W and the Cascade.

This leaves only the following as fantasy projects: Mid-block 2nd south between State and 2nd East. Mid-block 3rd South between State and Main. Exchange Street and State Street (Mid-block).

The only reductions in height / length are along 2nd East, omitting 255 South only because the design isn't finalized yet.

As the towers along 4th are the most well designed, it may be from a sales brochure for prospective investors for the project(s).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:16 PM

Liberty Sky Renderings

Boyer posted new renderings of Liberty Sky. Slightly modified from what we've seen before. Groundbreaking still slated for Spring 2019 apparently.

http://www.boyercompany.com/project/liberty-sky/

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 5:36 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Does anyone know what ever happens to the big plans to clean up 500 & 600 S? I thought they were suppose to get rid of the billboards, put the power lines underground, and do something about the property... this was like over 5 years ago and nothing has happened l.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Boyer posted new renderings of Liberty Sky. Slightly modified from what we've seen before. Groundbreaking still slated for Spring 2019 apparently.

http://www.boyercompany.com/project/liberty-sky/

(Artist's rendition courtesy of Cowboy Properties) Cowboy Properties and Boyer Co. are looking to build a 24-story apartment building on the east side of State Street between
the Federal Building on 100 South and the Maverik headquarters building on 200 South. The $90 million project is being praised for its prospects of bringing more residents to downtown Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 6:51 PM

You know, I think I like the updated version a bit better. It combines modern and classical elements, which I think fits better into our skyline than the original rendering does.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

(Artist's rendition courtesy of Cowboy Properties) Cowboy Properties and Boyer Co. are looking to build a 24-story apartment building on the east side of State Street between
the Federal Building on 100 South and the Maverik headquarters building on 200 South. The $90 million project is being praised for its prospects of bringing more residents to downtown Salt Lake City.

I think they forgot to put in 3 more floors on the new renderings since I can only count 21 stories. The older rendering has 24 stories. Maybe I’m just bad at counting... who knows

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West