HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 8:42 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

^^
"Straight Outta Orwell"

Word.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 3:40 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 9:31 PM
Mr. Technology

Is this you, NYguy?

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Is this you, NYguy?
If you look at the link, it's from Instagram. Plus I don't think his identity is important on this discussion

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:00 AM
BANNED

This one isn't too bad. A bit better than the typical heinous trashy 60s modernist tower like we are getting elsewhere such as 50 hy, 55 by, 3hy, etc.

Last edited by aquablue; May 30, 2018 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 10:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
This one isn't too bad. A bit better than the typical heinous trashy 60s modernist tower like we are getting elsewhere such as 50 hy, 55 by, 3hy, etc.
You would be banned if you made a statement like that in a Chicago thread.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:00 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Everyone has a right to their opinion, but whenever I read this or the comments about other 1,000+ footers, I just remind myself how lucky we are to live here (in or around the city since I for one love my view from Jersey). There are places where a 400-600 ft building would be the news of the century and even the other "skyline cities" in the USA boast a few buildings over 800 ft, much less 1,000! Love live the city for producing the skyscraper density and architecture where we can critique another 1,000 foot building as anything else than amazing. Cue someone who will gripe this is 995 ft or something similar.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyviews View Post
Everyone has a right to their opinion, but whenever I read this or the comments about other 1,000+ footers, I just remind myself how lucky we are to live here (in or around the city since I for one love my view from Jersey). There are places where a 400-600 ft building would be the news of the century and even the other "skyline cities" in the USA boast a few buildings over 800 ft, much less 1,000! Love live the city for producing the skyscraper density and architecture where we can critique another 1,000 foot building as anything else than amazing. Cue someone who will gripe this is 995 ft or something similar.
So just because we have a big skyline means we can’t critique individual architecture or design?

So we should just be happy with whatever we get because we are getting something whereas other cities don’t get as much?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:21 PM

Looking at the pictures I can only imagine what could have been. We got a bunch of glassy, modernist skyscrapers which could belong in any city in the world. There is nothing New York about them. If this site had chosen a design that reflected New York's unique skyscraper heritage it could have been defining for the city. Masonry clad; setbacks; spires; Beaux-Arts, Neo-Classical, or Art Deco inspired; ornamentation, actual architecture; etc. Might as well be some office park outside of Shanghai. Nobody's ever going go look at a shot of Hudson Yards and say, "That's New York City right there."

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:02 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3nophon View Post
Looking at the pictures I can only imagine what could have been. We got a bunch of glassy, modernist skyscrapers which could belong in any city in the world. There is nothing New York about them. If this site had chosen a design that reflected New York's unique skyscraper heritage it could have been defining for the city. Masonry clad; setbacks; spires; Beaux-Arts, Neo-Classical, or Art Deco inspired; ornamentation, actual architecture; etc. Might as well be some office park outside of Shanghai. Nobody's ever going go look at a shot of Hudson Yards and say, "That's New York City right there."
This complex was not birthed out of any particular bullshit, idealized nostalgia over what NYC represents to anyone, particularly the painfully clueless NIMBYs who live there.

It came to be primarily as a result of its leadership trying to pull their own heads out of their mid-20th century asses and come to grips with the obnoxious economic, demographic and social realities that were keeping the Big Apple from keeping pace with now.

It's also why we have MidTown East, the superboom of highrises in BKN and LIC...and, on the downside, the chronic affordable housing shortage that Phase Two of this complex--among other areas--will seek to address (see above).

New York is growing like never before; and it ain't gonna take time out thinking about how to do it by pandering to misbegotten stereotypes. This great city is beholden to no one who lives outside of it in projecting some kind of phony "official image".

I mean, why do you think the Yankees have no team mascot?

Last edited by Prezrezc; Jun 2, 2018 at 11:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3nophon View Post

Don't waste your single. We're in the 21st century now. New York of today isn't necessarily New York of a hundred years ago. And the New York a hundred years from now could very much be defined by the architecture of today. That won't make it any less "New York" than anything that was built a hundred years ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjfkJ3MF...donesian_dream

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjfoKBGF...-by=smartymarc

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjbTovKl...n-by=ozedigger

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 11:14 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I'll take photo #1 to block...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:
I agree, everyone would be going crazy down here in Charlotte if we got this.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 9:54 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The more and more I look at The Eugene, the more I dislike it.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 2:37 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

When the other peripheral TBC towers start flexing their muscles, it should start getting lost in the crowd, and rightly so.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 4:54 AM
BANNED

It's the ElCheapo rental put up fast to make up the numbers. No thought on design , just the profit numbers. A glass housing project.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 6:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Ok, we can just say that, or we can be serious and critique design rather than just being happy that NY is getting buildings (that's nice too). NY should really be compared to the top world cities given its status, no? Well, I tend to take a global view when it comes to NYC, but thats just me.

Last edited by aquablue; Jun 6, 2018 at 7:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 1:02 PM
BANNED

This tower is another stunning addition to the greatest skyline in the world.

The sloped, curved facade compliments the sloped straight facades of the HY towers.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 2:37 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The slight sloping effect makes such a difference. Kinda goes to show that you can have a rectangular tower, but with the right tricks, it appears much more dynamic in nature.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive