HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
I think Vancouver should have more decorative lighting, but I disagree with you about it being "dull" compared to other cities. Vancouver is not Paris or NYC, but compared to Portland or Seattle and other cities near the same size as Vancouver the city does well.

Flickr
I love the last picture. We've focused so much on densfiying the downtown core, that maybe other parts of the city are lacking densification? I was just wondering, but would the city ever consider densifying that section of the city? It's got potential I hear that Oakridge Mall is soon undergoing a renovation. Wow, that area of Cambie is going to be looking very different in 2-3 years time.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 6:43 PM

On my recent trip home to Winnipeg, I must say I was pretty impressed. The city has come a long way in terms of livening up the city scape. They have at least 15 differnt LCD screens going in the downtown area, colorful lighting that doesn't try too hard, and not to mention a new 30 ' advertising video board with multiple screens being built right in the heart of downtown. How and why can Winnipeg, a city with 1/3 the population create a vibrant exciting atmosphere like what I saw, and the best Vancouver can manage to do in the past while is put up one vertical line of light on the shaw tower, and 2 smallish LCD screens at Granville and Robson showing us bait car videos all day. Wow. What an exciting place.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:05 PM

Some Lighting projects

Hi Vancity, welcome to the board and starting some awesome discussion

As for lighting the city has a few public lighting projects for the Olympics and The new roof at BC Place looks like it will have some lighting effects as well. Also the Granville Street Redesign should be good news to us who crave more lighting effects downtown.

heres some links I found on one of my fave blogs Vancity Buzz.

http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2008...le-street.html
http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2008...hting-art.html

Enjoy!

Why not put up huge screens on the Sears building. That is just one big canvas waiting for LCD Screens. Runs some ads and collect the revenues come on COV its not that difficult.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:08 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sono65 View Post
On my recent trip home to Winnipeg, I must say I was pretty impressed. The city has come a long way in terms of livening up the city scape. They have at least 15 differnt LCD screens going in the downtown area, colorful lighting that doesn't try too hard, and not to mention a new 30 ' advertising video board with multiple screens being built right in the heart of downtown. How and why can Winnipeg, a city with 1/3 the population create a vibrant exciting atmosphere like what I saw, and the best Vancouver can manage to do in the past while is put up one vertical line of light on the shaw tower, and 2 smallish LCD screens at Granville and Robson showing us bait car videos all day. Wow. What an exciting place.

It is nice that they are starting to make Winnipeg more "people friendly". It has been a while since I have been there, so it's good to hear.

One of the best examples (And to some, the worst) is Dundas Square in Toronto (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrkalNFQEQs). It is an amazing feeling being there, very reminiscent of Times Square in New York. Every night I was there, there was something going on and it definitely had an urban vibe to it. This is the type of space that Vancouver is missing. I hope Surrey's new City Square takes inspiration from Dundas Square... just with more vegetation.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sono65 View Post

I have to admit that I agree, Vancouver can do much more with creating a more vibrant downtown (but it has improved over the last decade). It's still quite a quiet place to be, but there might be some sections of downtown where the city can focus on a more "liven" place to be. Stop building condos, start creating what's best for the city. A lot of people say Montreal is the place to be when it comes to a great night life, and that's something that Vancouver sorely lacks. People here are bored, because everything closes at 6 pm. I used to live in Toronto, and the best part about being in downtown, was that the city was so alive even after past 6 pm. The malls were still open, people were going places, I loved the part of the city. Vancouver can, and will, given time, improve in that area as well.

More decorative lighting, and more of a "cultural/festival" atmosphere would help the city go a long way. Another thing would be to lower housing prices (however it would be done, I'm not sure) - but the economy has a way of doing that, doesn't it?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
Hi Vancity, welcome to the board and starting some awesome discussion

As for lighting the city has a few public lighting projects for the Olympics and The new roof at BC Place looks like it will have some lighting effects as well. Also the Granville Street Redesign should be good news to us who crave more lighting effects downtown.

heres some links I found on one of my fave blogs Vancity Buzz.

http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2008...le-street.html
http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2008...hting-art.html

Enjoy!

Why not put up huge screens on the Sears building. That is just one big canvas waiting for LCD Screens. Runs some ads and collect the revenues come on COV its not that difficult.
Hey LotusLand! Thanks for the welcome It's good to participate and be active on these boards.

Those lighting projects you're talking about, are they just for the Olympics, or will those projects stay long after the Olympics are done? I read on the Sun (sometime ago, I forgot), that the entire renovations project was to cost $365 million, and the roof approximately 200 mil. The final design of the roof is supposed to be done by the end of this month. If anyone could get a hold of the renderings for that, It would definitely be worth a look

I'm excited for the BC Place project. That stadium desperately needed an upgrade, either that, or build something close to what the owner of the Dallas Cowboys' will be new stadium (I saw the renderings for that project - all I can say is WOW). too bad it cost so much. I will be more than happy with the upgrades of BC Place, I just hope the city doesn't do a tacky job on them renos'.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:26 PM
victory in near

i'm just going to put myself out there and say that vancouver has too much light!!!

ya whatever, most of you are saying.... however many large cities around the world, including those in the UK, are now dimming lights in response to the further understanding of light pollution.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinacan View Post
It is nice that they are starting to make Winnipeg more "people friendly". It has been a while since I have been there, so it's good to hear.

One of the best examples (And to some, the worst) is Dundas Square in Toronto (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrkalNFQEQs). It is an amazing feeling being there, very reminiscent of Times Square in New York. Every night I was there, there was something going on and it definitely had an urban vibe to it. This is the type of space that Vancouver is missing. I hope Surrey's new City Square takes inspiration from Dundas Square... just with more vegetation.
That youtube video about Dundas Square is exactly what our city is missing! Look at 'em bright LCD screens (some of them pretty huge!). It really does liven up that area of town. Speaking of those screens, the Sears in downtown is one of the most horrific buildings I have ever seen in my life. I have always thought that building was ugly. No offense to the person who designed it, but yeah, it needs to be "upgraded". Maybe change the color of the building, ugggh, or put some LCD screens (they are LCD screens in that youtube video of Dundas Square, right?) on Sears, that would definitely liven up the area

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:30 PM

I was going to mention that Winnipeg is adding a bunch more LCD screens downtown along with other lighting effects. I often compared vancouver to larger cities but we can also compare ourselves to much smaller cities that are creating vibrant atmospheres. Go through my posts, i have talked this issue to death, then read the replies. The main reason why we do not have such an atmosphere is that people move into the new towers downtown (knowing fully that Robson, Granville and other such streets have historically been the primary entertainment and commercial streets in metro Vancouver) near these commercial areas and then complain. Pretty much they want it both ways, they want to be close to everything but also have the peace and quiet of a rural suburb. As i have stated many times before the entire downtown core does not need to be a buzz, and if you want to have it both ways then move into the towers downtown away from the primary commercial streets. Some people on this forum even believe it is their right to not have to close their blinds living downtown when they go to sleep! To me that is the same as someone moving to the suburbs for the peace and quiet but then demanding bus service every 5 minutes in front of their house. The good news is it looks like Richmond could pick up the entertainment slack downtown in the years to come. They are very pro-active it seems in lighting and screen displays and building entertainment and shopping venues. I also wish Metrotown would build put up some LCD screens and other lighting effects, for we have the basic pieces in place to become a good entertainment district as well. OK, end rant, and now i have poked the bee hive again

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I was going to mention that Winnipeg is adding a bunch more LCD screens downtown along with other lighting effects. I often compared vancouver to larger cities but we can also compare ourselves to much smaller cities that are creating vibrant atmospheres. Go through my posts, i have talked this issue to death, then read the replies. The main reason why we do not have such an atmosphere is that people move into the new towers downtown (knowing fully that Robson, Granville and other such streets have historically been the primary entertainment and commercial streets in metro Vancouver) near these commercial areas and then complain. Pretty much they want it both ways, they want to be close to everything but also have the peace and quiet of a rural suburb. As i have stated many times before the entire downtown core does not need to be a buzz, and if you want to have it both ways then move into the towers downtown away from the primary commercial streets. Some people on this forum even believe it is their right to not have to close their blinds living downtown when they go to sleep! To me that is the same as someone moving to the suburbs for the peace and quiet but then demanding bus service every 5 minutes in front of their house. The good news is it looks like Richmond could pick up the entertainment slack downtown in the years to come. They are very pro-active it seems in lighting and screen displays and building entertainment and shopping venues. I also wish Metrotown would build put up some LCD screens and other lighting effects, for we have the basic pieces in place to become a good entertainment district as well. OK, end rant, and now i have poked the bee hive again
Hey Metro-One. I agree with you. I do believe that the city needs to concentrate on certain areas of the city and make them "festival" or "cultural" or "commercial" (whatever it is) so that people know that's the place to be for a particular 'event' (for lack of a better term). What I don't understand is why is the city building condos everywhere? If we need designated areas (i.e. Granville St for example), then why would the city build condos there, and expect to "liven up" the area? Livening up an area would mean bringing in (or at least people would be attracted to that area, hang out, etc) people, and bringing people means more noise. And the opposite is true too, in that, if condos are being built at a particular location where it has a tendency to be a bit noisy, well, I guess that's a part of urban living. Not to say that the city (or the businesses for that matter) should just disregard those who live around the area, but there has to be some solution to the problem, right?

I also agree that Richmond does have great potential (maybe because I live here, someone else might want to add on this to balance perspective) in becoming an entertainment district only time will tell if whatever the city of Richmond is thinking of, will come to fruition. Although, because of the economy, we may have to wait a few years.

Thanks for your "rant"

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Hey LotusLand! Thanks for the welcome It's good to participate and be active on these boards.

Those lighting projects you're talking about, are they just for the Olympics, or will those projects stay long after the Olympics are done? I read on the Sun (sometime ago, I forgot), that the entire renovations project was to cost $365 million, and the roof approximately 200 mil. The final design of the roof is supposed to be done by the end of this month. If anyone could get a hold of the renderings for that, It would definitely be worth a look

I'm excited for the BC Place project. That stadium desperately needed an upgrade, either that, or build something close to what the owner of the Dallas Cowboys' will be new stadium (I saw the renderings for that project - all I can say is WOW). too bad it cost so much. I will be more than happy with the upgrades of BC Place, I just hope the city doesn't do a tacky job on them renos'.
Your welcome Vancity, I'm a noob myself to these boards.

The lighting projects will have some permanent displays. I believe the Cambie bridge is one of the permanent displays. I can't remember either but it would be stupid if they were only temporary.

Also the Private Residences at Hotel Georgia is supposed to have a neat light feature. I hear rumours that Shangri-La will have one too.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 8:43 PM

I am very excited about the Hotel Georgia's display, it sounds beautiful. Also as for the city dimming initiatives, the majority of those programs are not reducing lighting displays and effects but having offices turn of their lights after hours, replacing lights with more energy efficient lights and turing off some lighting effects after certain hours (usually midnight or 2AM) on weeknights. But the cities still have a dazzling array of lighting effects, LCD screens, neon signs, etc...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
Your welcome Vancity, I'm a noob myself to these boards.

The lighting projects will have some permanent displays. I believe the Cambie bridge is one of the permanent displays. I can't remember either but it would be stupid if they were only temporary.

Also the Private Residences at Hotel Georgia is supposed to have a neat light feature. I hear rumours that Shangri-La will have one too.
That would be neat, if they had some lighting effects on the Hotel Georgia and the Shangri-La. That would benefit the downtown core

It would be pretty ridiculous to have the lighting effects only temporary for the Olympics, and then to take them all down (with the exception of Cambie bridge) after the Olympics. I think that's just dumb, and I don't think (I hope not) that the COV would do that. But then again, that's just my personal take. Who knows what COV is thinkin'. Hopefully, politics aside, they make a decision that benefits the city

Oh, and welcome to the boards

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 8:52 PM

Quote:
I am very excited about the Hotel Georgia's display, it sounds beautiful. Also as for the city dimming initiatives, the majority of those programs are not reducing lighting displays and effects but having offices turn of their lights after hours, replacing lights with more energy efficient lights and turing off some lighting effects after certain hours (usually midnight or 2AM) on weeknights. But the cities still have a dazzling array of lighting effects, LCD screens, neon signs, etc...
I always have wondered why downtown Vancouver doesn't have an area like Dundas Square, with all those LCD screens! It would transform a particular area for our city.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 9:00 PM

It has long been my desire to turn the area around where Robson and Granville meet into a Dundas Square. The entire stretch along Granville north of this intersection is also perfect for such a transformation. I would be so happy if just that one portion of Downtown was turned into a commercial buzz, for it has the two train lines (multiple subway stations) 2 underground malls (that should become one) clubs, street front retail and multilayered above ground shopping, perfect for neon signs, big LCD screens and music! That is all i want, just that one small area to be transformed, every where else can stay as it is. And to finish it the Sears building should be destroyed and replaced with a huge open multi level shopping atrium with a 40 to 50 floor office tower on top.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 9:39 PM

I think it's called "Silver Sea" - the mechanical penthouse it lit up with changing colours of floodlights.

There's also the changing colour strip on top of L'Hermitage.

I agree that lack of large floodlit buildings is due to the lack of large corporate offices. Plus with environmental consciousness, there's efforts to conserve electricity, so displays would probably be smaller scale to start with.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 9:44 PM

Quote:
It has long been my desire to turn the area around where Robson and Granville meet into a Dundas Square. The entire stretch along Granville north of this intersection is also perfect for such a transformation. I would be so happy if just that one portion of Downtown was turned into a commercial buzz, for it has the two train lines (multiple subway stations) 2 underground malls (that should become one) clubs, street front retail and multilayered above ground shopping, perfect for neon signs, big LCD screens and music! That is all i want, just that one small area to be transformed, every where else can stay as it is. And to finish it the Sears building should be destroyed and replaced with a huge open multi level shopping atrium with a 40 to 50 floor office tower on top.
Yep. I agree with you. Although, that transformative work (in the area you propose or not) would probably take a number of years just to "study" first, before any progress on actually working on it is done. But I hope the city does come to its senses with this. it's a good idea

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 10:09 PM

There was a great render done for the Granville street redesign that had the sears building outfitted with a huge display screen which looked pretty rad. I hope they utilize it somehow as the one side of that street has some retail and a bit of action going on in terms of lighting, but sears is just a blank wall. Deviod of anything remotely interesting. It's really begging for something.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
Is "the granville" the name of a building? I'm not familiar with it if so. Which condo are you referring to? Sounds like something I'd be interested in looking out for.

it's right next to the seymour street off ramp when you cross the granville street bridge - north end to the east

a few weeks ago it was two colours - i think it was blue and purple - last time i crossed it was just purple

hard to miss - its not a tall building - no taller than the bridge

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
i'm just going to put myself out there and say that vancouver has too much light!!!

ya whatever, most of you are saying.... however many large cities around the world, including those in the UK, are now dimming lights in response to the further understanding of light pollution.
I too was going to mention light pollution which has some pretty damaging effects on wildlife populations. I don't mind decorative lighting on buildings, but I am certainly against the idea that Vancouver needs to cast a stronger glow into the sky!

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=263052&src=5
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...pollution.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues