HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 9:39 PM

^ Yes it does and at around 960 give or take about 210 feet taller than California Plaza-heck I remember right after the US Bank Tower was built developers wouldn't go much above the 750 ft threshold until Wilshire Grand was built.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 1:20 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

As always...Ill wait until a final design and build is done. It looks somewhat retro, but not agonizingly so. Of course the usual unimpressed crowd will be unimpressed with it...as they are unimpressed with everything...its their calling card. We'll just wait and see. If it is truly ugly...we'll call it out.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 2:06 AM

I am okay with retro.

It has a unique design and that's something nowadays.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Angels Landing does look like it was designed to look as if it were built in the 70s but renderings are always misleading. I will say this though, and I've said it before, LA sadly lacks architecture from the decades/time periods (in regards to Skyscrapers) and I honestly wouldn't hate if it were built as is for the simple fact It gives our skyline a taste of the 70s. We're already full of the 80s and 90s. The 70s and earlier wont hurt.

(PS. Please do not respond to this with any mention of a spire, art deco and/or mention of being taller...........I'll scream. )
Agree halfway. L.A. actually has a few early 1970s & even a few late 1960s skyscrapers--ARCO Plaza, Union Bank, Crocker Citizens (later ATT) on 6th, Aon tower, etc. So 1970s and 1960s are covered. While we do have our beloved 1928 City Hall/aka Daily Planet Bldg. (Egyptian-Mayan Revival Pyramid-whatever style), what is not covered are tall examples of the 1920s-1930s Art Deco style (lots of squat examples due to the 150' height limit in place before 1958). So a retro 1000' (neo) art deco tower or even neo-gothic would be nice. Probably won't happen, but it would be great. Please don't scream--just my opinion. Notice I didn't mention spire, because that would push you over the edge, but seriously, why not a spire? Empire State has greatest spire of all, although they called it a dirigible port. They actually tried to dock a dirigible once, but the winds made it unusable. Heck of a spire though. And there was that wonderful Eiffel Tower-like"oil derrick" spire on the old Richfield Oil Tower.....oh sorry, I can hear you screaming at 100 decibels.. Sorry ;-)

Now, seriously, the Angels Flight plans are totally acceptable. I'm sure refinements will be made, and make it even better. I just hope it gets funded and built, in whatever style. I just hope it is the best design that will become an icon. L.A. deserves a really great skyscraper.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 10, 2018 at 8:20 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
what is not covered are tall examples of the 1920s-1930s Art Deco style (lots of squat examples due to the 150' height limit in place before 1958). So a retro 1000' (neo) art deco tower or even neo-gothic would be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
CaliNative, we're gonna have to report you to PETA for continually beating the neo Art Deco supertall dead horse...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 10:03 AM
Paramoderator

Let's also agree that an art deco supertall would probably look horrible because not only does the craftsmanship that made art deco as beautiful as it once was no longer exist, but building materials are significantly more expensive. The only buildings that even approach the quality of old art deco high rises are in New York, and the apartments contained within go for tens of millions of dollars. The market for apartments that expensive simply does not exist in Los Angeles, and even those buildings don't look great. An art deco supertall would probably look like a G.H. Palmer building, but one thousand feet tall. Not only will this idea never happen, but if it did, it would look horrible. I'd say it's time to drop the subject.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:13 PM

^^^Exactly, anything in any resemblance will either look really cheap/fake or double the cost of construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Agree halfway. L.A. actually has a few early 1970s & even a few late 1960s skyscrapers--ARCO Plaza, Union Bank, Crocker Citizens (later ATT) on 6th, Aon tower, etc. So 1970s and 1960s are covered. While we do have our beloved 1928 City Hall/aka Daily Planet Bldg. (Egyptian-Mayan Revival Pyramid-whatever style), what is not covered are tall examples of the 1920s-1930s Art Deco style (lots of squat examples due to the 150' height limit in place before 1958). So a retro 1000' (neo) art deco tower or even neo-gothic would be nice. Probably won't happen, but it would be great. Please don't scream--just my opinion. Notice I didn't mention spire, because that would push you over the edge, but seriously, why not a spire? Empire State has greatest spire of all, although they called it a dirigible port. They actually tried to dock a dirigible once, but the winds made it unusable. Heck of a spire though. And there was that wonderful Eiffel Tower-like"oil derrick" spire on the old Richfield Oil Tower.....oh sorry, I can hear you screaming at 100 decibels.. Sorry ;-)

Now, seriously, the Angels Flight plans are totally acceptable. I'm sure refinements will be made, and make it even better. I just hope it gets funded and built, in whatever style. I just hope it is the best design that will become an icon. L.A. deserves a really great skyscraper.
Thanks. I literally screamed at work. Now I'm being evaluated for psychiatric problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
As always...Ill wait until a final design and build is done. It looks somewhat retro, but not agonizingly so. Of course the usual unimpressed crowd will be unimpressed with it...as they are unimpressed with everything...its their calling card. We'll just wait and see. If it is truly ugly...we'll call it out.
LOL you've started to remind me of that kid in high school. The one that felt they were too cool to be with the popular kids, oddly had the same opinions as the popular kids but they always felt the need to bash/talk about them, even though the popular kids never acknowledged them. Yeah its a little toooooo early to be judging Angles Landing since we all know with almost 100% certainty, in true LA fashion, that it will change design at least twice if not 3 times. But. I think its perfectly fine to prejudge early stage renderings. Or should we instead talk about Homelessness, vacancy rates and downtown store fronts opening/closing which we tend to do when its a slow news week/month?

On that note. I would LOVE a photo update if anyone is downtown. I'm curious to see how the Onni semi twins have grown and apex 2, has 1133 hope seen any progress?

Last edited by caligrad; Jan 10, 2018 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:43 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to put this.
Anyway, I found a webcam for the USC coliseum renovation project, they are putting up a tower crane right now and ripping seating out, at the pace they are moving its gonna get even more crazy in the next week or so

https://app.oxblue.com/open/usc/lacoliseumrenovation

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 6:04 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^Exactly, anything in any resemblance will either look really cheap/fake or double the cost of construction.

Thanks. I literally screamed at work. Now I'm being evaluated for psychiatric problems.

LOL you've started to remind me of that kid in high school. The one that felt they were too cool to be with the popular kids, oddly had the same opinions as the popular kids but they always felt the need to bash/talk about them, even though the popular kids never acknowledged them.
I just think its funny you sound like you assume youre one of the popular kids.

Like the tower or not... My point is that the usual suspects tend to complain up front on every project...then slowly get over it. You are what you answer to....I suppose.
Nonetheless...we'll see how it finally turns out. Then...on to the next project that will be complained about right up til its not. Lol

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 8:07 AM

Breaking: West Elm Signs Lease to Open New Downtown LA Store

http://brighamyen.com/2018/01/11/bre...town-la-store/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 11:11 AM
BikeMike

Quote:

I was just thinking that.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:18 PM

Surprised no one has yet posted the rendering for the 1111 Sunset development proposal for the old DWP site. Cue the nimbys.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:33 PM

Wow! That would be amazing!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:35 PM

Last edited by Jun; Jan 11, 2018 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post

This is so cool!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:48 PM

Amazing

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post

This is the biggest catch for that area so far. West Elm is going to be an important retail anchor for that area. They should draw in more upper middle class brands that like to be surrounded by similar brands of stature. And hopefully, they'll do their own storefront treatment to mitigate the boring facade of that building.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 7:41 PM
Paramoderator

Better photos from Urbanized:

This might be my favorite project proposed for LA. It looks like a futuristic vision of an urban Los Angeles utopia. The architecture. The uniquely LA landscaping. The way the building manages to combine low rise bungalows with high rise living. The preservation of iconic LA mid century architecture. I especially love the high rise's painted cantilevered bases. A perfect project.

And here's the website if anyone is interested: http://1111sunsetblvd.com/our-neighborhood/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 7:52 PM
Paramoderator

Also, why is every Stanley Saitowitz design an overly cubic high rise. Shit looks just like their proposal for the Angels Flight towers. Works much better here though since it is a complimentary tower, rather than something intended to be a focal point and iconic building.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 8:04 PM

^^^That's a really cool project. Another reason why there needs to be a rail line down sunset. I can hear the sound of the Nimbys getting their pitchforks sharpened.

Quote:

Like the tower or not... My point is that the usual suspects tend to complain up front on every project...then slowly get over it. You are what you answer to....I suppose.
Nonetheless...we'll see how it finally turns out. Then...on to the next project that will be complained about right up til its not. Lol
Oh not at all actually. I wasn't referring to myself LOL we're actually in the same boat in regards to people jumping the gun on renders, but I do feel its ok to discuss them. What I was saying is everyone heard you the first couple of times lol but choose not to respond or blatantly ignore, because.... Its normal to critique new renderings. But you confused me with

Quote:
As always...Ill wait until a final design and build is done. (It looks somewhat retro, but not agonizingly so). Of course the usual unimpressed crowd will be unimpressed with it...as they are unimpressed with everything...its their calling card. We'll just wait and see. If it is truly ugly...we'll call it out.
like waiiiiiiittttt a minute......WHAT.... A contradiction in the same sentence....I thought we were waiting till the final design to give an opinion or critique LOL since everyone seems to be on the same page with this one, including you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post

I was just thinking that.
Now now, in your case its different HAHA You've been shadowing me for a year or 2 now, I've just become flattered at this point hahahaha. But glad you found your way back to the DTLA thread. You've been MIA ever since Colemonkee had to correct you on that odd statement about Apex 2 MONTHS ago. But welcome back, Happy New Years, for a FRESH start and a DTLA we all love to watch progress.

Speaking of a DTLA progressing, I've been chatting it up on the LA transit thread, Any update on the DTLA street car ? or as I refer to it as the street car mess?

Last edited by caligrad; Jan 11, 2018 at 8:32 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations