HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
McLeans

I'd say there's a growing dislike for America lately. I know a few people who refuse to go into the States while DT is in power.
It was one thing when it was just Trump doing his thing in the US, but now that his antics are probably going to deliver a body blow to the Canadian economy it will become more personal. I could see anti-American sentiment rising, especially as Trump's eccentric and somewhat radical behaviour is becoming the new normal down there.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:57 PM

Quote:
McLeans

I'd say there's a growing dislike for America lately. I know a few people who refuse to go into the States while DT is in power.
There needn't be anything "anit-American" about it, although the current atmosphere will draw some of that out. I'd prefer to think of it as pro-Canadian and a nod to what used to be a very normal way to shop (growing up in Kitchener, the local culture always favoured locally made products)

Did my bit yesterday by putting back the fresh USA blueberries and buying Canadian frozen instead. The day before, I bought a bottle of vodka from a distillery in Perth, ON. I switched over to Canadian-made paper products a few months ago.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 9:55 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
McLeans

A few businesses aren't accepting American money here anymore, because the owners/employees who used to use it to spend when they went to the US instead of taking it out of a bank don't want it now that they aren't going down there as often. There was also a recent spate of counterfeit American money (since it's so primitive compared to ours) and some businesses are just distrusting of it now, similar to how everyone stopped taking large bills back when we had the bird money.

I don't plan on going to the US any time soon but I've still been saving it myself. Trump won't be president forever. I don't really want to deal with the border though.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 10:34 PM

If I were a business owner, I'd be happy to accept U.S. dollars - at par!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 10:43 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
If I were a business owner, I'd be happy to accept U.S. dollars - at par!
That's what I say, but then they use their credit cards instead. I've got rolls of American change but the bank accepts those at par so you have to go to the US to get cash for them, and their border is so finicky they'd probably get mad at you for doing it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada