HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 8:15 PM

Nice score on some exclusive stores (at least for now) for Bayshore! Scotch and Soda is an especially welcomed addition for me.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 9:51 PM

Good job getting so many new to the market stores before Rideau!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 1:47 AM

Here's the latest photo from the Bayshore Development website:

It's definitely coming together nicely! I wonder if the east-side extension of the mall will include the pyramidal skylights that the west-side has?

* EDIT: Answered my own question... The new extension doesn't look like it will include the skylights (judging by the elevations)

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 5:49 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Photos: Parking garage demolition at Bayshore

Crews continue to work on demolishing the west side parking structure along Woodridge Crescent on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at Bayshore Shopping Centre.

October 22, 2013

Full gallery here:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...352/story.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 7:32 PM

Have any of you been in the new parking garage yet? I have. I think the layout is really strange and it is very hard to find the entrance to the mall. Now this could be because it is located beside the yet to open extension but they currently have you going in a delivery entrance across from the Sony store. The floor of the garage is not asphalt (not sure what the material is tbh) but it was nice. They have security directing traffic at all points in the garage. That place is going to be CRAZY come Christmas shopping time.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Have any of you been in the new parking garage yet? I have. I think the layout is really strange and it is very hard to find the entrance to the mall. Now this could be because it is located beside the yet to open extension but they currently have you going in a delivery entrance across from the Sony store. The floor of the garage is not asphalt (not sure what the material is tbh) but it was nice. They have security directing traffic at all points in the garage. That place is going to be CRAZY come Christmas shopping time.
I was there last week. You're right, it is confusing, but I figure once all the entrances/exits open up(another year maybe?), it should be much simpler.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 11:44 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Some outstanding photography by gmarshall, originally posted in the Recent ottawa construction aerials thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarshall View Post
Bayshore expansion and new parking garage work:

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 6:07 PM

So I don't see Sports Experts in there any more. Are they vacating the mall all together? Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere, I didn't see it.

Yes it is overpriced, but their sales are great and I do like the fact there is a store there like that... Interesting.

Of course I could have missed it in the blurry PDF, but I don't think so.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post
So I don't see Sports Experts in there any more. Are they vacating the mall all together? Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere, I didn't see it.

Yes it is overpriced, but their sales are great and I do like the fact there is a store there like that... Interesting.

Of course I could have missed it in the blurry PDF, but I don't think so.
I was there last week, and there is a new Sports Experts across the hall from H&M.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
I was there last week, and there is a new Sports Experts across the hall from H&M.
Ah, okay! Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 7:45 PM

Sports Experts

They have moved to a temporary location across from H&M. They currently have both stores open until January 5th, 2014 when the upstairs one will close and the temporary one will be the only one open. In August 2014, they will open up a 17,000sqft concept store in the new expansion portion of the mall. They also have some really good deals on right now (20-50% off) because of 'relocation' if anyone is interested. I wonder what they mean by 'concept' store. It's probably a new layout/wider range of products. Does anyone know how big in terms of sqft their current 3rd level store is? Probably 12-15,000 is my guess.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
When the neighbourhood was being built in the mid to late 60's the mall was just a strip mall anchored by a Steinberg's grocery store. When the community was mostly built (early-mid 70's) they knocked down the strip mall and built a two-story shopping centre (with attached two-story parking garage). The mall still had a Steinberg's though, in the place at the back (sticking out the south side) where the Les Ailes was for a few years. The anchor tenants were The Bay at the west end, and Eaton's at the east end.

That's Steinberg's was great. You used to be able to shop, pay, and leave your groceries in the paper bags, a bag boy would staple numbers to your bags and give you slips with the same number. Your bags would be put in plastic bins, placed on roller belts and slid out of sight. Then you'd walk out to your car and drive up the outside side door (main door was a very wide (80'+) interior opening facing north into the mall). Hand your slips to a bag boy and they'd find your bin(s) and slide them on rollers to the sidewalk where the bag boy would pop your truck and load you up with groceries. Easy peasy.

The grocery store left sometime in the 80's.

Sometime in the 80's they added a third floor to the mall, and a third floor to the parking structure, but it wasn't designed as a three floor garage so the third floor was a separate structure, with supports that went through holes cut in the second floor. That's why there were pillars in odd places. And why the entrances on the third floor don't line up with the entrances from the second floor. And why the Bay has no third floor entrance from the West (no third floor garage there). But a new 5 floor garage at the east end meant Eaton's had a third floor entrance from the east and north.

As to the garage slopping, I think that was intentional as a place to dump second floor snow (back when the second floor was the top floor). It could accumulate there and melt there without flooding a large area of the floor.
Eaton's only had a 3rd floor entrance from the east. The North side of Eaton's(front of the mall) only had the parking garage up to the 2nd floor.

Also the grocery store was there along after the 3rd was added in the early 80s. The grocery store was there until the late 90's, when Les Ailes moved in and when Les Ailes moved out 5 years later, another grocery store moved in. There was a grocery store there up until the mid 2000's - not the early 80's.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 4:40 AM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
I think that 'car service' or 'car order' was a part of the Steinberg's set-up.

Steinberg's at Hazeldean Mall had this and I recall Elmvale being a Steinberg.
A&P's did that too. That's why there are three lanes in front of the Farm Boy in Merivale Mall. It used to be an A&P.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 5:13 AM

There used to be both a Steinberg and a Loblaws at Billings Bridge -- can you imagine imagine?! -- I know the Loblaws had car pickup for sure, because we used it weekly, and I think that the Steinberg's probably did, too; but I can't say for sure, because we didn't shop there* when I was a kid.

* we ate a lot of PC products, once Dave Nichols started rolling those out, but we were already loyal Loblaw shoppers for whatever reason. It wasn't heredity though, because Grandma shopped at Steinberg until the day it closed! (IIRC it became an Independent for a while, imagine that? not just two groceries, but two affiliated with Loblaws in the same mall! crazy.)

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 1:30 PM

When I worked in the mall in 1999-2000 the grocery store was still there. Les Ailes opened in 2001 or 2002. I don't think it lasted 5 years, wasn't it more like two years? Savoury's opened up on the main floor and closed within a year, which is too bad because it was a nice specialty grocery store. I'm trying to remember...did Marketfresh ever go in that place after Savoury's and before Homesense?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
When I worked in the mall in 1999-2000 the grocery store was still there. Les Ailes opened in 2001 or 2002. I don't think it lasted 5 years, wasn't it more like two years? Savoury's opened up on the main floor and closed within a year, which is too bad because it was a nice specialty grocery store. I'm trying to remember...did Marketfresh ever go in that place after Savoury's and before Homesense?
I believe so.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Market Fresh was there before Savoury's but after Les Ailes. The Market Fresh closed up at the same time as all the other Ottawa locations did.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 1:24 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Council allows Bayshore construction at 5 a.m.

Failure to consult residents the latest in trend of walking motions onto agenda

By Joanne Chianello, OTTAWA CITIZEN December 11, 2013 7:01 PM

The $200-million redevelopment at Bayshore Shopping Centre has been in the planning for ages, and the project’s groundbreaking was more than a year ago. So the construction schedule should not have come as a surprise to anyone involved.

And yet, at council’s last meeting of the year on Wednesday, Bay ward Coun. Mark Taylor walked a motion onto the agenda to allow construction to start at 5 a.m. for the next two years. He didn’t consult with the community before allowing the pre-dawn work. And because Taylor sprang the issue on council — instead of bringing his motion to the appropriate committee — the public wasn’t given a chance to comment on the exemption to the city’s usual noise rules.

“We didn’t know about this,” says Rehana Naseem, the administrative director of the Bayshore Community Association. “We have never been contacted regarding this proposal or decision. It would have been nice if the councillor would have approached the BCA in order to get feedback from the community.”

Now, there might be valid reasons to allow construction that early. If crews were authorized to bring their heavy machinery onto the site before 7 a.m., that would get large, slow-moving vehicles off the roads before the morning rush hour, potentially alleviating the horrendous traffic issues around Bayshore these days.

And Naseem points out that the Bayshore Shopping Centre has been a good corporate neighbour to the surrounding residents. From the community association’s experience with Bayshore so far, she expects the mall management to address any noise problems that might arise.

But it’s not really clear why this issue had to be rushed through council on Wednesday. At the very least, Taylor could have issued what’s known as a notice of motion, which could have made known his intent to recommend the noise bylaw exemption at the next council meeting scheduled for late January. That way, the folks being affected would have heard about the proposal and could have commented or asked questions.

After all, what’s six weeks in a multi-year project?

Taylor’s reasoning for asking his colleagues to waive the usual procedure (which they did) was rather specious: “Especially during the holiday season, there was a value in allowing them (Bayshore) to start earlier so they can minimize that traffic pressure that’s on roads.”

Except that the new 5 a.m. start time doesn’t take effect until Jan. 1, 2014. So much for the holiday-shopping rationale.

Taylor’s surprise noise bylaw exemption is made all the worse by the fact that it appears to be a growing trend for either councillors or city staff to walk these types of motions onto the council agenda.

This year, council allowed and approved waivers to the city’s noise rules for the Lansdowne Park project, the Ashcroft Homes development of the former convent in Westboro, and the widening of Hwy. 417 — all without letting the public know first.

These are huge construction projects, and if special dispensation is needed where city bylaws are concerned, the people running the show should know ahead of time. Walking an item on to a council agenda is supposed to be reserved for real time-crunch emergencies in unpredictable situations, like working around the clock to fix a sink hole or a major water main break.

Council shouldn’t be waiving the rules because those involved — whether councillors, city staff or private citizens — didn’t get their acts together in time to plead their case to the appropriate committee.

Noise exemptions aren’t the only issues that have been walked on lately.

At last week’s finance committee meeting, a surprise motion to spend $1 million of Kitchissippi’s future “community benefit” money on hydro poles was moved by the ward’s Coun. Katherine Hobbs, leaving many in her community furious (at least on Twitter). That meeting also saw the release of the long-awaited report on how to move ahead with the embattled Airport Parkway pedestrian bridge, which will cost an additional $4.56 million.

Because no one knew these items would be discussed at the finance meeting, there was no public discussion of either issue. Both were passed at council Wednesday without question or comment.

And if that weren’t enough, Rideau-Goulbourn Coun. Scott Moffatt walked three complex motions onto the council agenda, all related to property owners having to pay for 2009 improvements to the local sewer system.

However, in this case, the most worrisome of the items — allowing five non-profits off the hook for their portion of the bill — was sent back to the committee stage after a number of veteran councillors balked, saying the motion could set an unintended precedent. (The non-profits’ deadline for deciding how to pay their fees was also extended.)

Making up policy on the fly is one of the dangers of walking items onto the council agenda. And springing changes to bylaws on an unsuspecting public for no valid reason isn’t ideal for democracy. This council seems to do that an awful lot, and it needs to stop.

But these walk-on motions will likely dwindle in 2014. Because if there’s anything that spurs politicians to want to be seen as consulting their constituents, it’s an election year.

jchianello@ottawacitizen.com

twitter.com/jchianello
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Jo...412/story.html

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 9:24 PM

Nothing major to report here. But, I went through the mall today and construction continues to progress, especially at the east end of the mall; specifically on the exterior. Sorry no photos

In the mall, The Bombay Company is re-opening soon - it seems to have a new sign, and new interior. And MAC Cosmetics is opening on the bottom level between Foot Locker and American Eagle in April 2014.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 9:49 PM

Again, nothing major, but I stopped by Bayshore this weekend and there are signs up for Express on the bottom level between the newly relocated Tristan and the newly relocated SoftMoc, across from H&M.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs