HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 8:32 PM

Man, it's been a long time since I visited this sub-forum, and I had no idea that buildings of this height and scale were going up in the Hammer. I'm actually pleased to see it, as it's seemed like the city has had the same aversion to high-rise construction and or/proposals in the last 15-20 years as central Ottawa (which has come about-face in the last 4-5 years, and there's tall-ish stuff going up everywhere now).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 6:47 PM

Last edited by Pigeon; Aug 18, 2022 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 3:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

Got lots of information on 150 Main St. They are releasing some of the plans.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 3:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

Two restaurants, one at Main/Caroline and one at George/Caroline. Patio space along Caroline for the restaurant at Main/Caroline and patio space along George for the restaurant at George/Caroline. Lots of canopy along George St.

One underground parking access along Main St, located at the very right close to Bay St. Another underground parking access at George St.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 3:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

So basically the entire main floor of the old Federal building will be with restaurants.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 9:30 PM
Hammer'd

Looks good to me.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 4:19 AM

Photo Update

Source: My Photos

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 7:29 PM

New Thread

I started another thread in the Highrise Construction forum so more Skyscraperpage users can see the progress going on in Hamilton.

Click Here for the thread:
HAMILTON | 150 Main Street West Condos | ?M | ?M | ?? FLOORS | 25 FLOORS

Make sure to update both the local 150 Main St W thread and the new thread with photos, news, etc.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 12:15 AM
It's Hammer Time

I noticed the condo portion is finally hitting ground level. Before it was a big hole.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 2:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

The more that I review this I'm pretty convinced the condo part is actually a 6 storey parking garage.

Phase Two includes building on top of the parking garage for condos. Makes sense since there's no condo office.

Seems like the Hilton Hotel has been topped off now they've switched and are building up for the parking garage.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 12:08 AM

That doesn't sound terribly nice but I guess it makes sense. Hopefully it doesn't look too sh*t.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 2:02 AM

Excuse the shitty quality:

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 12:32 PM

He's done so much damage to the building you have to wonder what the point in saving it is.

You've done a nice job of capturing the 'green wave' as well. I dare you to jaywalk. You'll only try it once.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 2:10 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
He's done so much damage to the building you have to wonder what the point in saving it is.

You've done a nice job of capturing the 'green wave' as well. I dare you to jaywalk. You'll only try it once.
Just go between the clumps. That's why I find 1-ways usually easier to cross. With 2-ways the clumps never seem to line up and so it takes forever to get across.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 6:59 PM

As a pedestrian standing on the corner of an intersection, wishing to cross, you wait for the wave to pass.

Crossing between the clumps works great in theory but after each clump, sometimes seemingly out of nowhere, come the cars that couldn't turn onto the street until the clump passed. These few cars can be quite a force to contend with.

The wave has passed so you start crossing the five lanes, with, say, only one or two cars in the lanes close to you, far enough away that you can cross.

As you cross, these cars (quite rightly) start to change lanes, into the lanes you have yet to cross.

NOW, you're half way across as a car speeding toward you enters the lane you're about to cross through in order to reach the far sidewalk. HE HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY! Now what do you do?

Well, you either turn around and try to cross four lanes of traffic back to where you came from, or run like hell for the far curb, hopefully before being hit. (AND being held legally responsible for it, just to add to the fun)

I suppose the third option would be to stand in the middle of the road and hope that they don't revert back into the lane you are now standing in. But that's not really an option as the car would have the right of way there too. You wouldn't even be safe standing on the dotted line (or legally protected).

This scenario has happened to me quite a few times.

With a wide _two-way_ road there is at least the fallback option of pausing in the middle of the road, between the opposing flows of traffic until you have a chance to complete the crossing, should you miscalculate or have cars suddenly appear from a cross-street.

WIDE one-way streets can be lethal for even the most able-bodied pedestrians. And that's to say nothing for the inconvenience, and sometimes heart-stopping fear, that they present.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:08 PM

Uh, I guess that's a little off-topic for the 150 Main St. thread. (Or maybe not, considering this will be a healthcare facility that purports to cater especially to those who don't have a family doctor. Of all places, perhaps this is where we most need a safe and civilized, perhaps even 'complete' street.) Anyway, back to our regular programming...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 12:21 AM

I got caught out on King at Ray / Pearl recently. There's a bit of a crest in the road there and it's hard to see what's coming. Having a wall of cars bearing down on you at 60 km/h is a scary situation but such is the city we've created.

Sorry, back to Darko's business now.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 1:05 AM

Photo Update

Source: My Photos

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 10:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

150 Main St W | ? | 25 fl | Under Construction -> Bella Towers - 150 Main St W | ? | 25 fl | Under Construction

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 10:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

Bella Towers Phase 1 - Vrancor Group

Main Street West Preparation work has begun on the former Federal Building on Main Street West which will see a 7 storey addition on top of the existing 5 storey structure and the creation of 142 condo apartments. Completion is expected in 2014.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton