HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 3:50 PM

For those of us that are fascinated by this stuff, but had to move to another city recently... can someone please provide an brief update of where the chicane is and why it is there?

To provide my historical perspective... I commuted on the west Queensway twice a day for the past 2 decades so I know every metre of it very well.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 5:07 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
For those of us that are fascinated by this stuff, but had to move to another city recently... can someone please provide an brief update of where the chicane is and why it is there?

To provide my historical perspective... I commuted on the west Queensway twice a day for the past 2 decades so I know every metre of it very well.
The chicane is located where the Queensway passes over Merivale Rd. It will allow for bridge widening construction, starting on the north side. The westbound lanes look to be the most affected. I passed through it this morning, and was caught by surprise by the sudden directional change, but I enjoy a good high-speed chicane so it was a non-issue. General traffic seemed to handle it well.

https://traffic.ottawa.ca/map/cameraWindow?id=161

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
The chicane is located where the Queensway passes over Merivale Rd.
Ahh.. the good old MTO traffic cams... forgot all about those.

Thanks Rocketphish!!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
The chicane is located where the Queensway passes over Merivale Rd. It will allow for bridge widening construction, starting on the north side. The westbound lanes look to be the most affected. I passed through it this morning, and was caught by surprise by the sudden directional change, but I enjoy a good high-speed chicane so it was a non-issue. General traffic seemed to handle it well.

https://traffic.ottawa.ca/map/cameraWindow?id=161
Going eastbound, its a nice gentle curve (as seen in the photo) and then BAM a quick left-right punch to get back into alignment. Not sure who was drinking on Saturday night when they painted those lines..

Also, I can almost hear the British racing announcer's voice "shumacher enter's the chicane, and ohhhh he's off the track!"

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 5:54 PM

By the way, does anyone know when chicane #2 will finally be ready, to realign the highway under the Maitland overpass to allow for repairs? Phase 1 of those repairs must be ready soon, as the asphalt is down.

Ok nevermind, I looked at the public information boards, and I was looking at Merivale phases, not Maitland. So no Maitland work. Good.

Will there be a carpool lane from Island Park to Kanata when all is said and done? that would be amazing.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Will there be a carpool lane from Island Park to Kanata when all is said and done? that would be amazing.
Doubt it... It is still 3 lanes each way from Maitland to the 416 and upgrading that chokepoint is planned for "Beyond 2021" according to the MTO website.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
Doubt it... It is still 3 lanes each way from Maitland to the 416 and upgrading that chokepoint is planned for "Beyond 2021" according to the MTO website.
Ah, so basically making the on-ramps connect directly to the off-ramps at all these interchanges, because they're currently much too short to meet current code.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation