HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:24 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 4:56 PM

A few mostly new renderings of Gatineau's u/c arena complex. The complex will feature 4 ice surfaces, including the new 4,000 seat home of the Gatineau Olympiques.

Many more on the websites.

http://www.visionmultisportsoutaouai...laces-la-cite/
http://gatineau.ca/portail/default.a...communautaires

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 5:01 PM
Fake News

Nice arena for Gatineau!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 5:09 PM

^ Nice rink. The exterior is beautiful and evokes some memories of the old Metropolitan Sports Centre in Bloomington, MN. I hope there is some reflective glazing applied to the windows though, as the interior doesn't really look so spectacular that it needs to be shown off with complete transparency.

The seating bowl looks good, but I've noticed a troubling trend of really big concourse/suite levels in junior rinks that dominates everything else. You end up with this giant ring of beige drywall hovering, like some sort of office building built right into the rink. I'm not crazy about that part, but unfortunately it's become common these days.

On the whole though, the facility looks great. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 5:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Nice rink. The exterior is beautiful and evokes some memories of the old Metropolitan Sports Centre in Bloomington, MN. I hope there is some reflective glazing applied to the windows though, as the interior doesn't really look so spectacular that it needs to be shown off with complete transparency.

The seating bowl looks good, but I've noticed a troubling trend of really big concourse/suite levels in junior rinks that dominates everything else. You end up with this giant ring of beige drywall hovering, like some sort of office building built right into the rink. I'm not crazy about that part, but unfortunately it's become common these days.

On the whole though, the facility looks great. Thanks for posting.
I said something similar on a local forum about the interior, which I find a bit cold and austere. The outside looks good though.

This is very close to literally being in my "neighbourhood", so I check out construction progress regularly.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 10:10 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The Rendez-Vous LeBreton Gorup partners, which include the owner of the Ottawa Senators Eugene Melnyk and John Ruddy of Trinity Developments, are going into mediation to save the downtown arena deal. They have 14 days to do so before the NCC pulls the plug. Even if they do come to an agreement, the NCC might still walk away after the drama that has unfolded over the last few months.

https://ottawacitizen.com/business/l...alvage-project
Update: the mediator hired by Ruddy and Melnyk, former Ontario Chief Justice Warren Winkler, requested the NCC extend the deadline to February 28, 2019. They have agreed to do so.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...deal-1.4977855

Meanwhile, CTV reports that DCDLS, the runner-up in the LeBreton competition, is involved in the mediation. That group involves billionaires André Desmarais and Guy Laliberté along with developers Canderel and Devcore.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ncc-extend...line-1.4253839

Ottawa is crossing its fingers that any potential agreement involves Melnyk selling the team to one or a combination of the other parties involved.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Update: the mediator hired by Ruddy and Melnyk, former Ontario Chief Justice Warren Winkler, requested the NCC extend the deadline to February 28, 2019. They have agreed to do so.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...deal-1.4977855

Meanwhile, CTV reports that DCDLS, the runner-up in the LeBreton competition, is involved in the mediation. That group involves billionaires André Desmarais and Guy Laliberté along with developers Canderel and Devcore.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ncc-extend...line-1.4253839

Ottawa is crossing its fingers that any potential agreement involves Melnyk selling the team to one or a combination of the other parties involved
Source? I don't believe that....

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Anyone else think rogers place is gonna age like a 35 year old meth head?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Anyone else think rogers place is gonna age like a 35 year old meth head?
If even slightly well-maintained, no.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:42 PM
ハルウララ

If arena lines go, so will the Bulldogs
OHL team is eyeing Brampton for home games if antifreeze lines at FirstOntario Centre fail.

How do you like the sound of the Brampton Bulldogs?

Because that's where the local Ontario Hockey League team could end up playing its home games — on a temporary basis, that is — if aging antifreeze lines render its downtown rink unusable.

Bulldogs owner Michael Andlauer said he is working on a contingency plan in the wake of a recent report on unfunded capital needs at FirstOntario Centre.

The report, which initially went to the general issues committee in December and could be revisited by council in its final capital budget debate Monday, says failure will occur if the "end of life" lines under the 33-year-old rink are not replaced.

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story...-the-bulldogs/

----------------------

“Creativity” key to expanding Tim Hortons field seating for Grey Cup bid

Tiger-Cats, CFL commissioner appear before council’s General Issues Committee about 2020 Grey Cup bid to be discussed confidentially

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats' bid for the 2020 Grey Cup — which is to be discussed in private session by city council's General Issues Committee Wednesday afternoon — presents a number of options for increasing the audience capacity of Tim Hortons Field.

No firm details were released from the staff report on the bid which council was to deliberate privately, but Tim Hortons Field's current seating for just under 24,000 is well below the usual minimum level of 33,000 to 35,000 for a Grey Cup.

If the report meets committee approval as expected, it would go to city council for formal approval next Wednesday.

"When you see the bid you'll see how creative they've been to overcome the size of the stadium," CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie told councillors during a question period after his oral presentation.

Temporary seats will be added to Tim Hortons Field, with some definitely behind the north (scoreboard side) end zone.

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story...-grey-cup-bid/

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:14 PM

More news from Hamilton

https://www.thespec.com/opinion-stor...game-changer-/

Time to move on downtown ‘game-changer’
Hamilton Bulldogs owner Michael Andlauer says any new arena in the city needs to built in combination with housing.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:12 PM

Any new arena in Hamilton should be NHL sized, as First Ontario Centre currently is. Not necessarily to attract a new team (if it does eventually, bonus), but because the GTHA already lacks this type of large venue as far as I am aware.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Any new arena in Hamilton should be NHL sized, as First Ontario Centre currently is. Not necessarily to attract a new team (if it does eventually, bonus), but because the GTHA already lacks this type of large venue as far as I am aware.
If the private sector wants to build that so be it but the city wont be paying for an nhl sized arena. Also early indications are the private sector(andlauer) are more interested in a 10k arena better suited for the main tennant, the bulldogs, whether they are ahl or ohl. And it sounds like hes willing to put in a fair share of his own money.

IMO a happy balance would be something similar to Bell Place in Laval. Smaller than 17k but larger than 5k. Able to be more intimate for the bulldogs but still a decent size for larger concerts.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
“Creativity” key to expanding Tim Hortons field seating for Grey Cup bid
Tiger-Cats, CFL commissioner appear before council’s General Issues Committee about 2020 Grey Cup bid to be discussed confidentially

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats' bid for the 2020 Grey Cup — which is to be discussed in private session by city council's General Issues Committee Wednesday afternoon — presents a number of options for increasing the audience capacity of Tim Hortons Field.

No firm details were released from the staff report on the bid which council was to deliberate privately, but Tim Hortons Field's current seating for just under 24,000 is well below the usual minimum level of 33,000 to 35,000 for a Grey Cup.

If the report meets committee approval as expected, it would go to city council for formal approval next Wednesday.

"When you see the bid you'll see how creative they've been to overcome the size of the stadium," CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie told councillors during a question period after his oral presentation.

Temporary seats will be added to Tim Hortons Field, with some definitely behind the north (scoreboard side) end zone.
Here's what they were thinking at one time.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 9:17 PM

^ Yeah, I thought that was the plan all along. It looks like the endzone patios were designed that way, to accommodate the temporary seating. Is that no longer the plan?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 10:33 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Yeah, I thought that was the plan all along. It looks like the endzone patios were designed that way, to accommodate the temporary seating. Is that no longer the plan?
It seems like there is no current official plan to add temporary seating and one has to be put through Hamilton council to be approved. The stadium was designed to accommodate the temporary stands, of course.

Quote:
Ancaster Coun. Lloyd Ferguson said he was surprised to discover the city didn’t already have design plans in place to install the additional seating. There was an expectation that when Hamilton decided to replace Ivor Wynn Stadium with Tim Hortons Field for the 2015 Pan Am Games, it would host a Grey Cup.

“We did see conceptual plans (for the expanded stadium) to go up to 40,000 (seats)” said Ferguson, who helped to oversee the construction of the facility. “Did I dream that?”

But Gatto said the only plans or designs the province or Infrastructure Ontario provided the city were conceptual photos.

"There were no real specs from the CFL,” said Gatto. “There were no stamped plans.”
https://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-st...n-a-few-years/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:17 AM

Based on hamilton council discussion, there would be temporary seats in the north endzone but the south endzone would not have temp seats. The cllrs were confused as to how they would get 35k seats with only one set of temp stands. The commish said the ticats have a different creative vision for the south endzone.

Whatever the plan is, its confidential until the winning bid is announced.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
The commish said the ticats have a different creative vision for the south endzone.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:02 PM
arf

10,000 beanbag chairs?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada