HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
I’d this project still supposed to break ground this month? Almost feels like the company has given up
If the project is to become GST exempt I would most certainly wait until that legislation is confirmed before I would start construction.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus CLS View Post
If the project is to become GST exempt I would most certainly wait until that legislation is confirmed before I would start construction.
Pretty ironic if this policy delays housing starts.

They should make it retroactive January 2023 to avoid this.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Pretty ironic if this policy delays housing starts.

They should make it retroactive January 2023 to avoid this.
I did some quick research. Rental Projects which start on or after Sept 14th, 2023 qualify for GST exempt. According to the Kitchissippi ward pre-construction meeting (available on youtube) the tentative start date was Aug. 14th I prefer to state facts rather then conjecture but the follow might explain the delay.

1. Waiting for the province to respond by exempting the provincial sales tax.
2. Requirement to submit a demolition control application. None found on dev apps.
3. Construction plan requires adjusting for the tower crane due to possible boom overlap with the other Tower Crane on Winona.

Those are my thoughts.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
The Province isn't in the business of ACTUAL doing anything about the housing crisis. They put the onus on the Municipalities and Feds, give their developer friends carte blanche, but have yet to make any true investment or policy changes themselves. I think developers might wait a while before they get a moving on such a change.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 7:40 PM

Quote:
I did some quick research. Rental Projects which start on or after Sept 14th, 2023 qualify for GST exempt. According to the Kitchissippi ward pre-construction meeting (available on youtube) the tentative start date was Aug. 14th I prefer to state facts rather then conjecture but the follow might explain the delay.

2. Requirement to submit a demolition control application. None found on dev apps.
3. Construction plan requires adjusting for the tower crane due to possible boom overlap with the other Tower Crane on Winona.

Those are my thoughts.
4. Delay in changes to the location of power lines due to the Ottawa Hydro strike.

That's what has put the Westboro Beach project even further behind schedule.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 2:06 PM

I walked by yesterday and there is no sign they are even starting to prepare the site for demolition. The garage is still full of equipment with vehicles inside. The construction site across the street seems to be using this lot for parking as well.

The pre-construction meeting said demolition was planned to start in Aug/Sept, so this is definitely delayed.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 3:11 PM

This one has been pushed back a year, based on InterRent's Q3 report today. Target completion date moved from 2026 to 2027.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 8:33 PM

They started doing some kind of drilling or something on-site yesterday, within the old repair shop parking lot.

It is intermittent but outrageously loud when it is happening. No demolition has started but the adjacent Azure construction site is currently is using Winona for concrete pumper and truck layover despite their promises not to.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 10:59 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbro View Post
They started doing some kind of drilling or something on-site yesterday, within the old repair shop parking lot.

It is intermittent but outrageously loud when it is happening. No demolition has started but the adjacent Azure construction site is currently is using Winona for concrete pumper and truck layover despite their promises not to.
Thanks for the update, and welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 12:26 AM

That Westboro skyline is going to have some really amazing layering and height variation in a few years!

Legend:
Green - U/C
White - Complete
Yellow - Approved
Red - Proposed

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbro View Post

Welcome to the Forum, neighbour!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
That Westboro skyline is going to have some really amazing layering and height variation in a few years!
I love these mockups you do!

My building will be completely obscured by 210 Clearview from that angle. That's ok, no-one ever really sees it anyway. It just blends in with the grey sky, is hidden in fog/mist off the river, or by trees when you are at the intersection below. From the Kanata Hill, it blends in with all the other buildings, including those in Gatineau so I have trouble picking it out and the chimneys (our old way of spotting it easily) have been removed now that there's a new heating plant at ground level.

Point of order, the real 'Westboro' (as opposed to East/West Westboro and Westboro Annex!) continues to Kirkwood and there will be 6 to 9 stories on the NW corner of Richmond/Kirkwood. Not really a tower but since there's no height around there, it will show up. The link should go to the page with pictures.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...irkwood&page=3
Westboro will lose a ton of street parking when that goes in.

Off the top of my head, the building at Clifton and Scott is also missing from this mockup and site prep has started there (changing electrical lines.) That's around 20 floors.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...hlight=clifton

There may be more but those are the ones I walk past all the time and on which I see action.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 1:49 PM

I don't think that 20 story tower at 1950 Scott is still an active proposal

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 1:55 PM

Great mock-ups!! That area will change a lot over the next decade. I do hope we'll end up with a nice mix of design, height and style along Scott street between IPD and Churchill.

I can't find the Scott/Clifton project on Devapps anymore. Has that project been shelved or put on hold? Or have they obtained all the required permissions to go ahead so that the project no longer is on Devapps? I seem to recall they were pre-selling the townhouses on Clifton earlier this spring. There is also the vacant parcel on the north east side of Scott and Clifton (Surface Developments); that project has been put on hold or shelved years ago.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 2:44 PM

Thumbs down

There are a lot of projects just to the west of that mockup as well: the 7-story Winston Ave project (which is close to topping out), the two towers at the other end of Winston, the Tubman funeral home site, and the Westmount project on Richmond which stalled after demolition (though when I walked by this week there was a bunch of utilities work being done right outside, so maybe it will start up soon).

I live in the area too, and the Churchill/Scott tower is becoming quite prominent as it goes up. It looms as you come down the little hill on Churchill towards Richmond.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:43 AM

h
Quote:
Originally Posted by btap View Post

I live in the area too, and the Churchill/Scott tower is becoming quite prominent as it goes up. It looms as you come down the little hill on Churchill towards Richmond.
I noted that as well. It was something I hadn't expected. Of course, once the Clocktower building is built, it won't stand out as much.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 8:43 PM

Might not be much but I literally saw an Ottawa Hydro worker in a bucket cut the overhead hydro line in the middle of and across Churchill Ave. leading to No. 381 being the 2 story apartment north of the former Westboro Sports.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 12:41 AM

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...4-0002/details

Demo permit for existing structure submitted today on devapps.

For the development for a 9-storey mixed use development (177 residential rental units) with two levels of underground parking. [Do7-12-20.0o81 (Site Plan), D02-02-20-0045 (ZBA), D07-12-23-0005(SPA Ext,#1), D07-12-24-0003 (SPA Ext.#2)

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:48 AM
Busy Beaver

I would be amused if the Pharmasave ends up moving into the corner retail of this building. They used to be where Lululemon is now, then went to the west of the village and then moved a few blocks east. I have gotten tired of following them around but hey have the Canada Post franchise so no choice but to put up with their changing locations

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa