HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Hmm.. they must have something up their sleeves? I don't see this lot being big enought o actually build a condo tower or anything.

That western part of downtown desperately needs a "pick-me-up" that's for sure...
Which lot do you mean? 340 and 383 Are quite large and could fit several towers. If they make it one site they could do two longer towers that are offset by a bit, or maybe 3 slimmer ones.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 11:45 PM

Some of you may remember; City documents a few months ago mentioned one of the Lyon Station entrances will be in the new Claridge Complex on this site.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 1:22 AM

Love to see Alterna / Claridge work together on a big project for this site.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Love to see Alterna / Claridge work together on a big project for this site.
Actually, Broccolini bought the Alterna site a few years back.

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Non-re...Alterna-land/1

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 2:58 AM
Awesome!

This is another project that has been dragging for years - thread started nearly 5 years ago. Hope something starts soon there.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Actually, Broccolini bought the Alterna site a few years back.

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Non-re...Alterna-land/1
Yes, and Broccolini is building Alterna's new HQ as part of Westboro Connection on McRae.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
Yes, and Broccolini is building Alterna's new HQ as part of Westboro Connection on McRae.
That was a bummer when I found out. I was hoping they would sign a deal with Brookfield for Place de Ville tower D.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I know we have a thread for this one, but for the love of God I cannot find it. I wish there was a "search" function on this site.

But anyway, update on Claridge's parking lot at the corner of Queen and Lyon, where the Lyon Station west entrance is located. They are currently building a small, wood framed building. Looks like it could be a sales centre. Can't really think of any other function.
Found the thread (obviously).

For at least two weeks after I noticed the, I assume, future presentation centre, they had just build the wood frame and partial particle boards for the walls. No roof of any kind (hope they don't leave the houses open like that for two weeks with huge rainstorms). As of Wednesday, they built the particle board roof. No movement on Thursday. I was off today.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 1:45 AM
National Capital Region

Building pemit was issued in June for a sales office (Claridge Homes)

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 4:43 AM

Roof tar paper is done. That's it. This thing is going at a ridiculously slow pace.

Would be nice or Claridge to provide an update on this one. Glad it's moving forward. Seemed to be the most logical next build with the subway opening soon.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 5:14 PM

They seem to have made good progress as of Friday. They started installing the siding on the sales centre. Looking forward to seeing the revised proposal and if the building plugs into the station entrance.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:11 PM

Presentation Centre looks just about done. Now let's see how long it takes before they start the landscaping/hardscaping.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 1:41 PM
National Capital Region

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__A74FV4

The City of Ottawa has received a Zoning By-law Amendment and a Site Plan Control Application to permit a mixed-use development with ground floor commercial and three apartment buildings ranging in height from nine to twenty-seven storeys. Access to a loading bay and four levels of underground parking with 335 vehicular parking spaces is to be from Albert Street.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 1:59 PM

Happy to be corrected, but unless I missed something, design brief doesn’t seem to show or describe any direct connection to the Lyon Station entrance.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:00 PM

First impressions;
  1. sad to see the old Coca-Cola bottling plant demolished;
  2. disappointed in the lack of indoor connection between the development and station;
  3. nice to see a hotel included;
  4. architecturally, this might very well be one of the better Claridge developments, depending on the cladding. It has a bit of a Richcraft feel.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:13 PM

Where do you see something about a hotel? It’s not mentioned in the summary or in the design brief.

the planning doc says that the application would provide for the option for a hotel, but that it’s not part of the current plan
Quote:
The project was revived in 2017, with some modifications to the building design and a proposal for a hotel use in Tower “B.” While the hotel use is not shown on the submitted plans, the current Zoning By-law Amendment application seeks to permit a hotel use, as well as the revised development design.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Where do you see something about a hotel? It’s not mentioned in the summary or in the design brief.
Check out the "Landscape Plan". Hotel faces Albert.

For the lack of connection to the station, that was expected after going through Kontinuum last summer. It was clear they had not left any space or knock out panels.

Quote:

In the planning doc, the application would provide for the option for a hotel, but it’s not part of the current plan
Hadn't had the chance to read any of the documents. I've only taken a quick look so far. I might have jumped to the conclusion based on the landscape plans.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:23 PM

“Security”
Quote:
The new Light-Rail Transit (LRT) station is incorporated into the development at the northeast corner of the development. For security reasons, no direct access is provided between the development and the LRT station. Multiple pedestrian access points are provided along the Lyon Street North and Queen Street frontages.
(Planning Report)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
5.1 Peregrine Falcons
At the approximate time of submission of the original applications in 2010, a Peregrine Falcon nest was active on the rooftop of the Delta Ottawa City Centre Hotel on the east side of Lyon Street North across from the subject property. At that time, Peregrine Falcons were classified as “Endangered,” and accordingly provincial and municipal policies required the preparation of studies to ensure mitigation measures to protect the nest site from impacts and disturbance.
In 2013, the recovery of the Peregrine Falcon population prompted the provincial government to downgrade the status of the species from “Endangered” to “Special Concern.” As Special Concern, it is no longer covered under the Ontario Endangered Species Act or the provincial and City Official Plan policies for “habitat of a threatened or endangered species.” In the interim time period, the specific Peregrine Falcons nesting on the Delta Hotel rooftop have moved their habitats, and no active nests are currently located in proximity to the subject property.
In light of these developments, City of Ottawa Staff have confirmed that formal documentation regarding the Peregrine Falcon is no longer required for the Zoning By-law Amendment and Site Plan Control application submissions.
That must be referring to the Former Delta on Queen, because there are absolutely falcons on the new Delta (former Skyline, former lots of other brands) on Lyon. They’re glorious.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
“Security”

(Planning Report)
I could see that. Quite rare to see a direct connection between a residential building and a mass-transit station. If the (a) hotel lobby were to be on that corner, they could have connected.

I think it's a case of Claridge agreeing to let the City take that corner while forgoing any potential connection, regardless of what would have been built.

I hope Morguard's Hilton Complex one day plugs into the station.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa