HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I don't ride the bus so I don't know the details but wouldn't that location be about a 10 minute ride on the 85 from Lincoln Fields or about a 12 minute ride from Pimisi? Or about 8 minutes from Carling Station on the Trillum by the 85?
The 85 is barely usable.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 7:58 PM

Anyway, in all seriousness, there is a serious lack of affordable and centrally-located offsite storage in Ottawa, which this decision (on spurious grounds) helps makes worse.

Oh well.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Anyway, in all seriousness, there is a serious lack of affordable and centrally-located offsite storage in Ottawa, which this decision (on spurious grounds) helps makes worse.
Well.. there is "Just Right Self Storage" about 200m from Bayview Station... it's a large Dymon-like facility.

What more could you want? ...short of an LRT stop directly underneath one of them..

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
Well.. there is "Just Right Self Storage" about 200m from Bayview Station... it's a large Dymon-like facility.

What more could you want? ...short of an LRT stop directly underneath one of them..
Fun fact: that one used to be a streetcar garage.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 10:01 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Community head 'disappointed' after land tribunal overturns city's rejection of Dymon storage facility

Andrew Duffy, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Nov 25, 2021 • 11 minutes ago • 3 minute read

The province’s land tribunal says Ottawa city council was misguided in its bid to “save” the Merivale Triangle area by rejecting a new Dymon storage facility on Clyde Avenue.

The tribunal has overruled the city and approved the development, which includes a six-storey building with ground-floor retail, boardroom and office space, and a separate restaurant.

In overturning council’s January 2020 decision to nix the proposal, the tribunal called the Dymon project an innovative mixed-use development and “an important step toward the evolution of this area.”

Marjorie Shaver-Jones, president of the Copeland Park Community Alliance, said she was “incredibly disappointed” with the tribunal’s decision. She characterized the new development as a “sterile warehouse.”

“It’s not something we want,” she said Thursday. “We have a vision of what we want our community to be and this just doesn’t fit: We want wide sidewalks with lots of pedestrian activity, and businesses that create that activity.”

Steve Creighton, senior vice-president of the Dymon Group of Companies, said the tribunal decision reflects the recommendations of city staff and the city planning committee.

“I think what the tribunal recognized is that we’ve become an extension of people’s homes and businesses,” he said. “The city is focused on intensification, and Dymon helps it achieve that: You can live in a smaller condo or home, or work in a smaller space, and use Dymon as your overflow.”

In its decision, the Ontario Land Tribunal said it could find no basis in land use planning for council’s decision to reject Dymon’s request for a zoning exemption. The tribunal said the project, on a 1.1-hectare parcel of land near the corner of Clyde Avenue and Baseline Road, conforms with the city’s official plan and a secondary plan for Merivale Road.

The Merivale Triangle is a three-sided piece of land bounded by Clyde Avenue, Baseline Road and Merivale Road. It’s now home to several low-rise strip malls and other commercial buildings.

The city told the tribunal the Dymon development was inappropriate for a “gateway site” to the Merivale corridor.

The tribunal, however, concluded the Dymon development is suitable for an arterial road and supports planned residential growth in the area. It said the project will improve the area’s streetscape, public realm and “sense of place.”

The development represents a vast improvement over the existing strip plazas and their curbside parking lots, tribunal vice-chair Sarah Jacobs wrote, adding: “The proposed development, in introducing a six-storey, attractive building, along with a one-storey restaurant, is certainly improving the subject property and will introduce positive urban design elements to the corridor.”

City planning staff had recommended approval of Dymon’s application in November 2019. The planning committee also endorsed the project, but council rejected it by a vote of 14-8 even though city planning lawyer Tim Marc warned Dymon could successfully appeal the decision.

City council said the proposal did nothing to foster a sense of community, encourage pedestrian traffic, or add to the housing mix.

Coun. Keith Egli led the charge against the development, saying the site was ill-suited to a warehouse and not zoned for one. “I am urging you today to say that Merivale Road is not a lost cause,” he told council.

In an email Thursday, Egli said he was disappointed with the land tribunal’s ruling. “I believe this decision makes the case for looking at options for a better way to engage and incorporate community feedback into planning decisions, and especially appeals,” he said.

Shaver-Jones, who participated in the online tribunal hearing, called it a frustrating experience. She was able to make a written submission, she said, but not allowed to speak. “I felt from the very beginning that the community had no voice in this at all,” she said.

Dymon has 11 storage facilities in Ottawa and four more in various stages of development. Construction is expected to begin on the Clyde Avenue site in the spring.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...orage-facility

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 10:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

All the residents of the tiny units in the Claridge development next door will need a place to store stuff, after all

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 1:30 AM

Is the decision available yet. ? I'd be interested to see who represented City Council interests. Very few local consultants take on these files.

Edit..found the decision. It doesn't surprise me. Once again, Council have lost another OMB/LPAT hearing in going against Planning Department recommendations.

Last edited by Proof Sheet; Nov 26, 2021 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 1:05 PM

Quote:
“The proposed development, in introducing a six-storey, attractive building, along with a one-storey restaurant, is certainly improving the subject property and will introduce positive urban design elements to the corridor.”
Did she actually look at the proposal I have seen attractive Dymon Storage buildings, but none of them are in Ottawa, because... Ottawa.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 3:37 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 2:55 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Approved (Oct 5, 2022)

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 2:13 PM

Since when us Dymon Storage in the restaurant business?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 5:57 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Since when us Dymon Storage in the restaurant business?
Vertical integration to make use of the excess cardboard storage bins as takeout pizza boxes?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 11:42 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Well underway:

Photo by me
Mar 18, 2024

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 11:45 PM

Dymon: Serving Ottawan's insatiable need to accumulate stuff.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I think it's more about Baby Boomers cashing in their winning lottery tickets (pre-bubble homes), shoving their things in a storage unit, renting a 'luxury' apartment as a home base to see the kids in the summer, and travelling the world all winter on their windfall.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Filling a market need. Good for them.

I wish there was more storage and warehousing space in a not-suburban location. The decline of urban storage is bad for economic vitality and has contributed to the "death of retail".

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:14 AM

Quote:
I think it's more about Baby Boomers cashing in their winning lottery tickets (pre-bubble homes), shoving their things in a storage unit, renting a 'luxury' apartment as a home base to see the kids in the summer, and travelling the world all winter on their windfall.
It's about a whole bunch of things, because all kinds of people, businesses, and organizations, have all kinds of stuff that they want or need stored.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:15 AM

Quote:
From what I've seen of senior Boomers' apartments/condos, many do have a problem with the concept of "downsizing". To be fair, it is hard to deal with the reality of nobody wanting your old crap (or even the old good stuff).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa