HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 6:22 PM
National Capital Region

Dream LeBreton [665 Albert St] | 105+120m | 31+36f | Excavation

This thread is specifically for the Library District site... main Building LeBreton thread is here.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=238060

http://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/projects/lebret...-redevelopment

Building LeBreton

The NCC is moving forward with the timely development of a Concept Plan that will provide a renewed vision for the redevelopment of LeBreton Flats. Benefitting from early engagement with the public, the Algonquin Nation, stakeholders, the surrounding community and the City of Ottawa, the NCC intends to seek municipal approval of the concept plan and associated zoning, before moving to land transaction. The NCC will be open to a flexible real estate strategy to increase competition and leverage opportunities. In addition, in order to create synergies and ensure greater connectivity, the NCC will be launching a Request for Proposal to redevelop the Library District, a 2.9 acre mixed-use site adjacent to the future location of the new Ottawa Public Library and Library and Archives Canada

“Today, we reaffirmed our strong commitment to bringing back a vibrant community in the heart of the National Capital Region. We thank the public for their shared passion in wanting a well-thought-out vision for the Flats. As we launch this process, the NCC Board of Directors is committed to engaging the public and our various stakeholders in setting out a renewed vision for LeBreton Flats’’, said NCC Chair, Marc Seaman.

This development, anchored by the Canadian War Museum, the Ottawa River, the future public library and two LRT stations will include the revitalization of the aqueduct and Nepean inlet and allow for consideration of a potential anchor institution or major events centre.

This renewal process will build on lessons learned in realizing the creation of a lively fusion of residential, commercial, cultural, and social elements accented by world-class public-realm amenities. The NCC is committed to obtaining public input before going to market and will be open to flexible phasing to respond to market conditions and new ideas.

“A lot of work is already under way and soon we will invite the public to provide their input to help us design a refreshed vision for LeBreton Flats,” said NCC CEO Tobi Nussbaum. “The redevelopment of LeBreton Flats remains one of the NCC’s top priorities. While we are starting a new process today, we are not starting from scratch.”

The way forward-Timeline

Quick Facts
• The site to be developed covers an area of 22.7 hectares (56 acres).
• It is served by the light rail train with the Bayview Station and Pimisi Station.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:22 PM

I hope they focus on commercial and/or institutional uses for the library district. Public buildings, basically. I don't know what the private sector office-space market looks right now, but if there's demand office towers would also be great. Hopefully that makes future parcels more attractive as Lebreton becomes a transit destination, not just a place for condos.

Not sure if a grocery store is viable with just the claridge condos around. Claridge wants to build their own at lyon station which is close enough to compete.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
I hope they focus on commercial and/or institutional uses for the library district. Public buildings, basically. I don't know what the private sector office-space market looks right now, but if there's demand office towers would also be great. Hopefully that makes future parcels more attractive as Lebreton becomes a transit destination, not just a place for condos.

Not sure if a grocery store is viable with just the claridge condos around. Claridge wants to build their own at lyon station which is close enough to compete.
Yes, I fear that we will just create a condo zone, and we will lose most of the public amenities of either previous plan, then what?

A grocery store on Lyon Street is not going to be attractive to anybody on the flats. Few people will want to walk up and down that hill with bags of groceries in hand.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:38 PM

I’m confused. What is the difference between the “library district” and the site of the new library?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I’m confused. What is the difference between the “library district” and the site of the new library?
There are lands close to the new library site (including between the library and Pimisi station) that are owned by the NCC. I think it is referring to those lands.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 8:15 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
A grocery store on Lyon Street is not going to be attractive to anybody on the flats. Few people will want to walk up and down that hill with bags of groceries in hand.
I disagree with this. I'm certain a lot of people will pick up groceries on their way home from work to their homes in Lebreton, or walk both ways until there's a closer option on the Flats.
I lived a few blocks south of the flats for awhile, and there were tons of people walking home to there from the Independent on Bank St.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
I disagree with this. I'm certain a lot of people will pick up groceries on their way home from work to their homes in Lebreton, or walk both ways until there's a closer option on the Flats.
I lived a few blocks south of the flats for awhile, and there were tons of people walking home to there from the Independent on Bank St.
Agreed. It's really only about 4 blocks away. I would see lots of people using the store on Lyon.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 8:41 PM

Plus Trinity is planning a grocery store at Bayview. Between that and Lyon I doubt there's demand for one on Lebreton.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 12:56 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Quote:
There are lands close to the new library site (including between the library and Pimisi station) that are owned by the NCC. I think it is referring to those lands.
Exactly:

from: http://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/projects/lebret...-redevelopment

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Whatever they put there I hope they incorporate some way to get to the library from Pimisi! Indoor preferably. Maybe they could make it a stipulation for whomever builds at that site?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 3:32 AM

Didn't know about the Bayview grocery. Probably none here then.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Hey Tobi! I have a proposal for the NCC's "Library site"....

Trade it to the City of Ottawa so that the new super-library can be built next to the LRT station. Let the NCC develop the city's parcel closer to Bronson.
I actually prefer the library where it's being proposed. The current site will alaways have uninterrupted vistas to the Ottawa River, and ditto from the Portage, we will always see (what I hope will be) our landmark library instead of a generic high-rise.

With the development of the NCC's parcel, hopefully the City, the NCC and the chosen developer work together to ensure a highly accessible, indoor connection between the central library and Pimisi Station. I could see one über-long ramp from the library's ground floor, through the NCC development to Pimisi's east concourse level.

I'm also hoping they cover the rail line in order to introduce some connectivity with the aqueduct, similar to what RVL had proposed as part of their library plan. In that rendering, you can see where the ramp from the library (the library we'll be getting, not the RVL library) could be in order to connect to the east concourse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Yes, I fear that we will just create a condo zone, and we will lose most of the public amenities of either previous plan, then what?

However, if this building is somehow directly connected to Pimisi Station, residents will only be one station away from the Claridge grocery store.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 5:32 AM

One thing that really annoys me, something that could put a damper on the Library and District is the grey power station next to the tunnel portal at LeBreton Flats. Can't find a good picture(or the correct name for it), but I'm sure many of you have noticed. We have several of these down the line, mostly in spots that don't matter much, but this one could be very prominent from the library looking north. Hoping they can either re-clad it in stone or wood to make it look more presentable or re-locate it within the library, hidden from sight.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
One thing that really annoys me, something that could put a damper on the Library and District is the grey power station next to the tunnel portal at LeBreton Flats. Can't find a good picture(or the correct name for it), but I'm sure many of you have noticed. We have several of these down the line, mostly in spots that don't matter much, but this one could be very prominent from the library looking north. Hoping they can either re-clad it in stone or wood to make it look more presentable or re-locate it within the library, hidden from sight.
Are you talking about the sub-station for the train, or the heritage Fleet Street pump station?

Fleet street is already stone masonry and quite beautiful. The best we can hope for is that the site is opened up more to the public.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_...umping_Station

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 4:59 PM

The sub-station for the train; quite an eye-sore.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 5:21 PM

Well this is going nowhere fast - the NCC has zero credibility - Lebreton has become the Phoenix of land development

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
I actually prefer the library where it's being proposed. The current site will alaways have uninterrupted vistas to the Ottawa River, and ditto from the Portage, we will always see (what I hope will be) our landmark library instead of a generic high-rise.

With the development of the NCC's parcel, hopefully the City, the NCC and the chosen developer work together to ensure a highly accessible, indoor connection between the central library and Pimisi Station. I could see one über-long ramp from the library's ground floor, through the NCC development to Pimisi's east concourse level.

I'm also hoping they cover the rail line in order to introduce some connectivity with the aqueduct, similar to what RVL had proposed as part of their library plan. In that rendering, you can see where the ramp from the library (the library we'll be getting, not the RVL library) could be in order to connect to the east concourse.

However, if this building is somehow directly connected to Pimisi Station, residents will only be one station away from the Claridge grocery store.
This is a good point. The Sobeys at Claridge will be directly connected to Lyon station so it will be trivial for Lebreton residents to shop by transit if the hill sucks.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
So having vistas to the Ottawa River is more important than having the library directly accessible by LRT? I'd think LRT access would be more useful.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
So having vistas to the Ottawa River is more important than having the library directly accessible by LRT? I'd think LRT access would be more useful.
With the NCC development next door, I'm hopeful we can get both.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 3:53 PM

if anyone is planning on being active on consultations, I'm going to be asking questions about how much of the escarpment area district plan will be reflected in the library district development.

https://ottawa.ca/en/escarpment-area-district-plan
(all the parkland/open space stuff is in section 5)

I'd imagine most of 'escarpment park' gets filled out with this, but my biggest question is whether the NCC intends to develop Bronson Park (Bronson and Queen, next to the Juliana) as part of this process. The district plan from 2006 proposed a pedestrian link between pooley's bridge and queen street, either stairs or an elevator. I'm not sure how much use that would get, but it would create a tangible link between uppertown and lebreton flats. The NCC has identified Bronson Park as a future monument site as well - something around the lumber industry would be nice and there seems to be multi-party support for the industry right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa