HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Those pursuing Medical Doctorates also complete placements at other institutions, do they not? No different than nursing.
That is correct. When these students get out of bed in Orleans or Old Ottawa South they must travel to wherever their current assignment takes them. It applies to other disciplines such as those doing a Masters of Health Administration at Telfer, or someone studying medical technology at Algonquin.
Even Biomedical Engineering students at Carleton and uOttawa spend some time at the various medical facilities. It is part of the life of these students.

Where to put what? I am sure that an analysis of what resources the university has (including currently available land), plus current needs weighed against projected future needs, is a big part of that decision. It was decided to put FHS at Lees and AMRC at Alta Vista. I have a feeling that the land still available at Alta Vista will be developed for research intensive facilities rather than undergrad teaching. A decades long project.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
That is correct. When these students get out of bed in Orleans or Old Ottawa South they must travel to wherever their current assignment takes them. It applies to other disciplines such as those doing a Masters of Health Administration at Telfer, or someone studying medical technology at Algonquin.
Even Biomedical Engineering students at Carleton and uOttawa spend some time at the various medical facilities. It is part of the life of these students.

Where to put what? I am sure that an analysis of what resources the university has (including currently available land), plus current needs weighed against projected future needs, is a big part of that decision. It was decided to put FHS at Lees and AMRC at Alta Vista. I have a feeling that the land still available at Alta Vista will be developed for research intensive facilities rather than undergrad teaching. A decades long project.
Thanks for the info. Your knowledge of the inner workings of uOttawa is always much appreciated!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Those pursuing Medical Doctorates also complete placements at other institutions, do they not? No different than nursing.
Having the medical school at RGN (OGH adjacent) was interesting but not all that helpful for our rotations. The first 2 years of medical school are 95% classroom and group-based learning and the clinical experiences in the first couple years tend to be in outpatient or family medicine offices. Once in 3rd and 4th year the students are split pretty evening between the Civic, the General, and the Montfort. At that point, we would rarely would go back to the medical school other than for special lectures or ceremonies. I think we could easily have the medical school situated at main campus or Lees without too much inconvenience to the students/faculty. In fact, from a transit perspective, most MS1/MS2 students would have preferred those locations!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Having the medical school at RGN (OGH adjacent) was interesting but not all that helpful for our rotations. The first 2 years of medical school are 95% classroom and group-based learning and the clinical experiences in the first couple years tend to be in outpatient or family medicine offices. Once in 3rd and 4th year the students are split pretty evening between the Civic, the General, and the Montfort. At that point, we would rarely would go back to the medical school other than for special lectures or ceremonies. I think we could easily have the medical school situated at main campus or Lees without too much inconvenience to the students/faculty. In fact, from a transit perspective, most MS1/MS2 students would have preferred those locations!
I can imagine. Quite frustrating how bad the transit service is at the General campus, considering it serves several hospitals and a university campus. And since nearly all our hospitals throughout the city are teaching hospitals, picking one for the campus over the others was a choice.

I wish uOttawa was building its new research centre at the new Civic instead.

As a side note, I wonder how the new health sciences building has boosted the ridership of Lees station. Or has it reduced the ridership of uOttawa.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 7:34 PM

J.OT13 asked

Quote:
As a side note, I wonder how the new health sciences building has boosted the ridership of Lees station. Or has it reduced the ridership of uOttawa.
In general I do not know the answer, but the people at FHS say that it is bring used quite a bit to shuttle students and staff between Lees and the main campus. Human Kinetics and the Integrated Health Sciences program are still mainly on the main campus while the other three HS disciplines are at Lees. There is some back and forth as some have courses in both places.

I was privileged to be part of a small group that got a long tour of the place this week. There is a great view overlooking the river from the top floors. The Lobby lounge is a good place to have a coffee and watch the O-trains go by.

It is what they do at FHS that is most impressive. I visited the nutrition sciences labs, the auditory testing lab and the nursing simulation areas. The latter has a number of electronic mannequins that can simulate various conditions. It is kind of eerie to hear one moan because it is simulating pain, and blink at you.
They even have baby mannequins that can be hooked with equipment just like they use at CHEO. There are research as well as teaching labs.
They have quite a few hospital beds and I think that the place could be used as a last resort if a disaster overwhelmed all of our hospitals.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Mar 27, 2024 at 8:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
J.OT13 asked

In general I do not know the answer, but the people at FHS say that it is bring used quite a bit to shuttle students and staff between Lees and the main campus. Human Kinetics and the Integrated Health Sciences program are still mainly on the main campus while the other three HS disciplines are at Lees. There is some back and forth as some have courses in both places.

I was privileged to be part of a small group that got a long tour of the place this week. There is a great view overlooking the river from the top floors. The Lobby lounge is a good place to have a coffee and watch the O-trains go by.

It is what they do at FHS that is most impressive. I visited the nutrition sciences labs, the auditory testing lab and the nursing simulation areas. The latter has a number of electronic mannequins that can simulate various conditions. It is kind of eerie to hear one moan because it is simulating pain, and blink at you.
They even have baby mannequins that can be hooked with equipment just like they use at CHEO. There are research as well as teaching labs.
They have quite a few hospital beds and I think that the place could be used as a last resort if a disaster overwhelmed all of our hospitals.
Simulation has come a long way. I teach a Sim course at the Skills and Simulation Centre (https://uossc.ca/) that uses similar mannequins. I love being the control room and being the voice of the "patient" while the residents struggle to keep "me" alive

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 4:33 PM

When I was at La Cité Collégiale 12 years ago, we didn't have anything that fancy.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa