HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 11:59 PM

Rideau Registry Residences [70 Nicholas St] | 66m | 21f | U/C

Quote:
The City of Ottawa has received Zoning By-law Amendment and Site Plan Control applications for a 21-storey, mixed-use building incorporating the City Registry Office, a designated heritage building.
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0197/details

Finally a proposal for the old registry office site, but the files aren't active yet. I really hope Cadillac Fairview has gone with a firm other than RLA, Hobin or Neuf...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 12:49 AM

Ohhh this is exciting!!! I cant wait to see the rendering. This site has great potential and its about time the old registry get a second life

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 1:19 AM

I sure hope the architect is not RLA again...

I'm intrigued to see what will happen to this site and how much of the area is planned to be redeveloped. It would be nice for this area to be a bit less like the backside of buildings. All that's left is for the parking garage to be redeveloped and the other areas in red in this image (yellow is pedestrianized street)

I read that they're going to incorporate the old registry office, but I'm concerned how they'll do it. I'd really like to see it properly preserved and restored. Whoever got to go inside and do the as-found drawings is quite lucky!

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Nov 25, 2021 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
I'm intrigued to see what will happen to this site and how much of the area is planned to be redeveloped. It would be nice for this area to be a bit less like the backside of buildings. All that's left is for the parking garage to be redeveloped and the other areas in red in this image (yellow is pedestrianized street)
You can add the tip North of the Desmarais building at the corner of Waller and Nicholas in the areas to redevelop, uOttawa is planning on building up the lot.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 12:40 PM

I dont hate it! Its Urban looking! Great integration with the mall. Looks a bit bulky tho, I wish either the white or black part was higher than the other.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 12:55 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Cadillac Fairview Corporation is proposing a development at 70 Nicholas Street consisting of a high-rise mixed-use building including a total of 280 apartment dwelling units above at-grade retail space. The development proposes the relocation of the City Registry Office further north on the site to be integrated into the base of the new development providing a unique and interesting retail space with outdoor seating space. The uppers floors of the building are visually separated into two volumes – 20 storeys for the north and 21 storeys for the south. The lower floors of the building are highly transparent and integrate the main access points, communal amenity space, building services, enclosed bicycle parking, personal storage space, and the at-grade commercial component of the building.

The proposed development includes a total of 280 dwelling units including a mix of 1- and 2-bedroom units. The ground floor of the building includes 230 square metres of retail spaces in addition to an enhanced and improved pedestrian access to the CF Rideau Centre shopping centre. The retail space includes the restored City Registry Office.

The lower three (3) floors of the building are dedicated to lobby, bike storage, building service, and amenity spaces. A highly-transparent, double-high lobby space abuts Nicholas Street and provides an engaging streetscape while providing space around the City Registry Office. The southerly portions of the ground floor provide building services and access to resident bike storage and storage lockers. The third floor provides additional amenity spaces including a gym, theatre, playrooms, lounge space and yoga room. The lounge also provides direct access to the south-facing rooftop garden space abutting the Mackenzie King Bridge. The building provides an additional amenity space on the rooftop including additional lounge rooms and a rooftop pool and outdoor terrace. In total, 7,118 square metres of amenity are provided including 2,429 square metres of communal amenity area.

The proposed development includes 102 underground parking spaces within a new, two (2) level parking garage accessed from a new vehicle ramp via Nicholas Street at the south end of the subject property. The new garage is intentionally separate from the larger Rideau Centre parking garage and will provide parking for residents of the residential building only. No visitor parking is proposed given the adjacency of large parking garages. In addition to vehicular parking, a total of 241 bike parking spaces (228 for residents + 13 for visitors) are provided within the first storey of the proposed building. Bike parking is accessed at the south end of the building and provides convenient storage for residents and visitors.

Integration and compatibility with the existing CF Rideau Centre to the west was a critical consideration of the proposed design. The subject property protects the necessary loading dock access from Nicholas Street for the CF Rideau Centre and Shaw Centre as well as visitor and employee parking access to the mall. These existing connections are essential to the operations of the mall and convention centre and are therefore necessary to be retained during construction and long-term.

The City Registry Office is a heritage property designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act and is currently located at the centre of the subject property. The proposed development seeks to retain, relocate, and restore the heritage building and integrate it into the ground floor of the proposed development. The building would be relocated to the north and set back from Nicholas Street where it will define the front facing facade of the building and offer opportunities for at-grade commercial uses.

Architect: Zeidler Architects & NEUF Architects

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0197/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 2:26 PM

Can we please set up a YIMBY protest to make the black part twice as tall?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 2:48 PM

I don't hate it. Was just recently at Club SAW at the OAG and was thinking about that site, happy to see something finally proposed for there. It should also really help on bringing people/activity/frontage on that section of Nicholas (right now it's backside of the mall, grass patches and homeless people under the bridge) - will hopefully brighten and reshape that section of the street.

I like how much glass there is, the large (aka usable) balconies and the black overhang.

It is very wide which is a shame and not sure how I feel about the different white/black sides.. Would've preferred 2 black sides but with different heights.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 3:46 PM

The materials and design language look alright but I'd rather see twice as tall on half the footprint with some greenspace on the other half of the lot instead of the disjointed bulk they made here by basically jamming two towers together on one lot. This looks like one tower with an addition added later.

Edit: They could also sell Parliament Views for floors above 22-25ish on a taller tower. Huge missed opportunity. This does not fall into the Beechwood Cemetary protected view plane

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
The materials and design language look alright but I'd rather see twice as tall on half the footprint with some greenspace on the other half of the lot instead of the disjointed bulk they made here by basically jamming two towers together on one lot. This looks like one tower with an addition added later.
Agreed that it can be taller, but I like the fact that it extends through the entire lot. That length of active street frontage is needed to have a real impact here.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 3:51 PM
ハルウララ

Looks like a good proposal. Like others I wish there was more height but I can't really disagree with a whole lot here. I wish there wasn't a car drop-off area and, last time I was around, Nicholas is still a bit of a traffic-fest, so not sure how welcoming this will be to pedestrians. Willing to be surprised.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Agreed that it can be taller, but I like the fact that it extends through the entire lot. That length of active street frontage is needed to have a real impact here.
Active street frontage on the 'left tower' is just an entrance to the condos next to a big blank wall. That could be on the side of a taller tower on the right side, there could be a nice park and a drop off loop on the left side.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 5:42 PM

It would be nice if it had a walkway to connect it to the Rideau Centre's rooftop garden.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Active street frontage on the 'left tower' is just an entrance to the condos next to a big blank wall. That could be on the side of a taller tower on the right side, there could be a nice park and a drop off loop on the left side.
For sure there could be improvement. But I think even the glass frontage along the street extending the entire length of the block will have a bigger impact on making the street more urban in character. Greenspaces along traffic sewers don't have a great track record.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
For sure there could be improvement. But I think even the glass frontage along the street extending the entire length of the block will have a bigger impact on making the street more urban in character. Greenspaces along traffic sewers don't have a great track record.
I think a mixed greenspace with a skatepark for all the Ottawa U kids would be amazing here. Throw in an outdoor auditorium with the seats going up over the Loading Dock entrance.

Anyways I'm just pipe dreaming. I would have liked to have seen a taller tower with Parliament views rather than a disjointed lot line to lot line building (buildings?) that reminds me a little bit of Liv Apartments on Bell St. N. in a small way.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 8:08 PM

Loving this proposal. The glass will provide a good contrast to the endless stock of pre-cast building around. Fantastic job integrating the old Registrar's Office. Very similar to how NEUF integrated Grant House into Performance Court.

https://www.neufarchitectes.com/en/p...t-at-150-elgin

I do wish they would have kept the heritage structure in-situ, as they did with Grant House, since the deep/thick foundation is part of the history (to prevent someone from breaking-in by digging their way into the building).

Also wish there was a hotel component. That was the plan for decades, and the Convention Centre has had issues attracting big events due to the lack of attached hotel space.

Height wise, I do wish they would have proposed 25-30 floors, just to have it stand out a bit more from the rest.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 2:24 AM

Not a fan personally. Needs some more tower separation or more height and just one tower.

It looks like there's a connection to the bridge, but then it looks to me that it might be closed off with no access? Anybody have an idea about what's going on with that part?

They did a nice job integrating the heritage building though.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 2:50 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
It looks like there's a connection to the bridge, but then it looks to me that it might be closed off with no access? Anybody have an idea about what's going on with that part?
Yes, it's the dog park:

"The rooftop amenity space with dog run above will provide amenity space for residents and will soften the edge of the Mackenzie King Bridge sidewalk."

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Yes, it's the dog park:

"The rooftop amenity space with dog run above will provide amenity space for residents and will soften the edge of the Mackenzie King Bridge sidewalk."
Strange feature, but I get it. Where else would you bring your dog for a run in that concrete wasteland? The nearest proper parks are Major's Hill and Confederation, both an unpleasant walk if you have a dog.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Strange feature, but I get it. Where else would you bring your dog for a run in that concrete wasteland? The nearest proper parks are Major's Hill and Confederation, both an unpleasant walk if you have a dog.
In my opinion its purpose is to create a buffer zone between the resident terrace and the bridge (theres always homeless people or smokers at that corner) way more than being a dog park

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa