HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 2:06 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

1967 Riverside Dr | up to 53m | 8+15f | Approved

Schlegel Villages Ottawa is proposing to replace the Ottawa Hospital Riverside Campus’ surface parking lots at 1967 Riverside Drive with a continuing care facility comprising an eight-storey building with 256 long-term care beds and a 15-storey building with 270 retirement dwelling units, each structure connected by a town square building. Total parking for the development is proposed as 275 vehicle spaces with 209 in surface lots and 66 underground. Access to two surface lots is proposed via a connection to the hospital’s existing signalized access intersection with Riverside Drive, and access to the underground parking and another surface lot is proposed via the hospital’s existing signalized intersection at Smyth Road. Through the redevelopment, the hospital’s access to Smyth Road is proposed as being severed with this access only serving the proposed development. The long-term care home structure is to be built-out in the first phase and the retirement dwelling structure and town square connection are to be built-out in the second phase, by 2026.

Architect: CSV Architects

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0170/details

Siteplan:

Elevation:

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 2:17 PM

Interesting. They need to maintain the cycling connection through the site; this is part of a city designated bikeway from Billings Ave and the city is making improvements to the intersection at Smyth starting imminently.

The site plan seems to cut off the vehicular connection from the hospital to Smyth, which I suppose is OK, but it needs to be maintained as an active transportation connection.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 3:07 PM

The design looks very dated but the rendering is very much low quality "draft" format so who knows.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 4:27 PM

They’re really scrapping the bottom of the barrel with this design. Did the architects find some old plans from 1991 in basement storage?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 4:32 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

They suggest that the design will be similar to one of their other developments:

https://schlegelvillages.com/tansley-woods-burlington

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 12:48 PM

Don't you know, bay windows are so cool you don't even know they're cool yet bro.

Anyways, no but really this is great. I'm happy to kick off a new round of development along this stretch of towers and parking lots on the transitway.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitZilla View Post
Interesting. They need to maintain the cycling connection through the site; this is part of a city designated bikeway from Billings Ave and the city is making improvements to the intersection at Smyth starting imminently.

The site plan seems to cut off the vehicular connection from the hospital to Smyth, which I suppose is OK, but it needs to be maintained as an active transportation connection.
That was the first thing I looked for in the site plan. I already sent in my comments, that connection cannot disappear.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Champ View Post
That was the first thing I looked for in the site plan. I already sent in my comments, that connection cannot disappear.
I think this the route they are proposing:

From the TIA:
Quote:
A MUP is proposed along the north end of the property connecting the drive aisle that accesses Riverside Drive to the signalized site access intersection at Smyth Road. Walkways are proposed as circulating the building, connecting all building entrances to the surrounding pedestrian facilities on Smyth Road and on the hospital property.
It's through a bunch of parking and the approach to the intersection from the new MUP looks awkward. A significant down-grade, and definitely not acceptable.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post

It's through a bunch of parking and the approach to the intersection from the new MUP looks awkward. A significant down-grade, and definitely not acceptable.
That's a rough one, cutting directly through a parking lot which would mean dealing with a bunch of vehicles pulling in and backing out. I use the current route all the time to get downtown from Alta Vista. The McIlraith bridge leaves much to be desired but it is safer and more comfortable than Billings Bridge and Bank Street, especially the cycle tracks on Main.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Champ View Post
That's a rough one, cutting directly through a parking lot which would mean dealing with a bunch of vehicles pulling in and backing out. I use the current route all the time to get downtown from Alta Vista. The McIlraith bridge leaves much to be desired but it is safer and more comfortable than Billings Bridge and Bank Street, especially the cycle tracks on Main.
Agreed, I used to use the route all the time to get to Main Street from the Heron Park neighbourhood (via Lamira Street and Rodney Crescent)

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
I think this the route they are proposing:

From the TIA:

There note says the North end, but your line is on the south end no?

Either way, biking through a parking lot is just an accident waiting to happen.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenottawa View Post
There note says the North end, but your line is on the south end no?

Either way, biking through a parking lot is just an accident waiting to happen.
The note is referring to the short new bike path that runs parallel to Smyth which then connects to the parking lots at the east end of the site (parallel to the VIA rail line).

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 3:55 PM

The more I look at this, the more I realize this might be one of the worst proposals submitted to the city in the last 10-20 years. I overlooked how absolutely abysmal this concept is at first. It’s god awful.

The hospital loses a vital connection to Smyth Road. Makeshift cycling connection through a parking lot. Obviously very little connection to transit. Lowest quality architecture available. 18,000 ft2 floor plate slab tower. Zero urban design. Surface parking throughout. I’m not even sure how the submission was deemed complete. It’s is missing any details regarding the parking garage.

There is definitely some funny business going on with this one. I’m fairly certain this is just another ploy to get a parking garage on site by masquerading it as healthcare. The Ottawa Hospital continues is disingenuous development practices. Who is paying for this? Isn’t this land owned by the city? Is this a P3 partnership? I have so many questions. This one stinks.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post
The more I look at this, the more I realize this might be one of the worst proposals submitted to the city in the last 10-20 years. I overlooked how absolutely abysmal this concept is at first. It’s god awful.

The hospital loses a vital connection to Smyth Road. Makeshift cycling connection through a parking lot. Obviously very little connection to transit. Lowest quality architecture available. 18,000 ft2 floor plate slab tower. Zero urban design. Surface parking throughout. I’m not even sure how the submission was deemed complete. It’s is missing any details regarding the parking garage.

There is definitely some funny business going on with this one. I’m fairly certain this is just another ploy to get a parking garage on site by masquerading it as healthcare. The Ottawa Hospital continues is disingenuous development practices. Who is paying for this? Isn’t this land owned by the city? Is this a P3 partnership? I have so many questions. This one stinks.
I agree with this assessment. It's actually quite painful to see. I didn't think it'd be possible to make the Riverside campus worse than it is now but here we are.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 6:39 PM

up to 96 meters? 15 floors? can someone clarify?

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 9:12 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideauRat View Post
That is what the Planning Rationale says, but ya that must be a typo. The Elevations indicate 52.585m, which is more reasonable. Fixed.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideauRat View Post
Sea level? Or maybe a typo in a sea of garbage supporting docs.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post

Agreed. This is a terrible proposal.

Who's paying for it? In part the Province of Ontario. Pouring Billions into private long-term care businesses, many of which failed measurably at protecting their residents during the pandemic:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...es-critics-say

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 4:28 PM

I missed it. Lots of new documents posted.
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0170/details

Edit: I really wanted to see a circular walking path/MUP around the development to allow the Sr's to go for an easy/safe walk and to facilitate the current walking/cycling connection between smyth-parking lot-over the tracks access to Rodney Crescent which is still largely absent.

Edit #2: Submitted feedback on this one. Had a few too many comments!

Last edited by Ottawacurious; Jan 18, 2023 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 12:21 PM

Ottawa Hospital to pay city $12.9M to allow long-term care project to go through near Riverside Campus
Ted Raymond: link

A slice of land near the Ottawa Hospital Riverside Campus could one day become a major long-term care and retirement complex, but it would require city council not act on an agreement between the city and the hospital over land use.

Agreeing not to act on that agreement could result in nearly $13 million being deposited into city coffers.

The city of Ottawa sold surplus land at 1967 Riverside Dr. to the Ottawa Hospital (TOH) in 2005 for $1, as part of a deal approved in 2000, before amalgamation, according to a report prepared for Wednesday's council meeting. As part of the deal, the city and the Ottawa Hospital entered into an agreement called a reversionary covenant that said that the city could reclaim ownership of the land if it ever ceases to be used for non-profit health-care purposes.

The report reveals that hospital officials met with planning staff confidentially in October 2021 to discuss a proposal to lease approximately five acres of the 19-acre property to Schlegel Villages Inc. for 75 years to build an eight-storey, 256-bed long-term care home and a 15-storey, 270-suite retirement residence that would be privately operated on a for-profit basis. The covenant, however, says the land is intended for non-profit health-care use and while a long-term care facility would meet the health-care requirement, operating it for profit would not.

The Ottawa Hospital is now asking the city not to act on the covenant and to remove it from that section of land in order for the project to proceed.

The city would be within its rights to reclaim ownership of the land the Ottawa Hospital wants to lease, staff said, but the report states that the city's corporate real estate office found no city interest in it.

"Given the financial resources invested to date by TOH and its partner, the project’s functional programing focusing on senior’s care, and the operational synergies being adjacent to TOH on Riverside Drive, City staff consider the 'healthcare hub' concept an appropriate use for the Lands," the report states.

Staff say the hospital supports the project, as it would increase the number of licenced long-term care beds in the city, and it would be near a hospital, creating a 'healthcare hub' that would provide a continuum of care for the elderly.

City seeking $12.9 million to remove covenant
While it is recommended that council not take the land back from the Ottawa Hospital, staff said the city is asking for a measure of compensation for agreeing to remove the reversionary convenant.

The value of the land was appraised at $12.9 million, based on the fact that if the reversionary covenant is removed, the land would become eligible for for-profit uses and, therefore, more valuable.

Staff say the Ottawa Hospital is willing to pay that amount if council agrees to remove the agreement.

"At this time, TOH is seeking concurrence from the City that removal of the covenant can occur so that TOH can then enter the final steps of negotiations and finalization of agreements with the developer/operator of the subject lands," the report says. "In return for that concurrence from the City, TOH has agreed to deposit the $12.9 million into an escrow account. Upon execution of agreements between TOH and developer/operator, City staff will report back to Council on an allocation plan for said funds."

The report explains that since this is not a sale of city land—as the land is and will remain owned by the Ottawa Hospital—policies that require a portion of money acquired through the disposal of city land be used for affordable housing and municipal parkland would not apply.

The report says the $12.9 million would be held in a separate account as an agreement between the City of Ottawa and The Ottawa Hospital until a future direction is determined with respect to the request for a Municipal Local Share Contribution in support of the new Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa