HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:39 AM

[Burlington] 284 Plains Road East | ?m | 9fl | Proposal

https://www.burlington.ca/en/service...lains-rd-e.asp

Quote:
The proposed development would consist of a 9-storey residential building, containing 156 residential dwelling units, and 195 parking spaces.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 11:26 AM

Can’t wait for the day when the entirety of Plains Road is lined with mid-rise buildings such as these! The scale of the road goes hand in hand with this sort of development.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 1:13 PM

I'm a little disappointed in this proposal. Most along Plains have looked great, and many include retail at grade, which is great to make this a more walkable shopping and commercial street.

I also wish Plains had better transit service to Hamilton. Being this side of Burlington, I feel like most around this area are likely to work in Burlington or Hamilton rather than Toronto. This could be a huge corridor for workers in Hamilton and people coming to Hamilton for entertainment and nightlife.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:44 PM

? Burlington transit offers pretty good service on Plains Road to Hamilton already. Currently they run a bus every 10 minutes during peak periods and 15 in off peak periods, and before the pandemic they had express bus services as well.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
? Burlington transit offers pretty good service on Plains Road to Hamilton already. Currently they run a bus every 10 minutes during peak periods and 15 in off peak periods, and before the pandemic they had express bus services as well.
Id just like to see something a bit more substantial. Plains could really be a great example for Burlington on how to build a transit oriented corridor around rapid buses. I'd love to see the xpress service return. I also think they need articulated buses, but apparently Burlington can't service them currently. It would be great to see space for the bus to pass traffic along Plains as well as I know traffic can become slightly slow on the road. Basically I'm suggesting that all the money Burlington has they could easily upgrade the service all the way along Plains and Fairview and make it a central spine for other bus service through Burlington. It's a well used line, and they should make the most of it. Would be great to see a slight service bump too, to maybe 7 or 8 minutes.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 4:31 PM

Agreed - I could eventually see BRT on the corridor.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 7:02 PM
Ham-burgher

Is the ridership high enough to justify articulated buses? If so, I wonder if a short term solution to servicing/maintenance would be to partner with the HSR and use their facilities (especially once the new one opens in the north end).

I've never taken that part of the 1 Plains route, but when I lived downtown in Burlington I'd occasionally bus it to/from the Fairview or Appleby GO stations. The buses were usually about 1/3 full near the stations, maybe half at most, but I was leaving early in the morning peak period and arriving late in the evening one.

I've sometimes wondered if a regional transit service would be better for Hamilton-Burlington. Merge the HSR and Burlington Transit. We have a hard enough time with service to our own suburban areas, but if the funding formula could be worked out there would be some efficiencies (especially for BT) and potentially better connectivity between the cities.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 7:29 PM

They are disconnected enough by Burlington Bay that I don't think an amalgamated service is really needed. An amalgamated Halton Region transit service would have more utility.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 11:22 PM
Ham-burgher

I meant that more in terms of operating and management efficiencies, not so much about the network -- there are a limited number of options for improving the latter, but more frequent service along Plains into downtown Hamilton and along Beach/Lakeshore into downtown Burlington would be a good start. Perhaps some transit connections between Burlington and Waterdown as well.

There would probably be a fear in Burlington that the needs of the larger portion of the system in Hamilton will take precedence. But it doesn't have to be that way, and it may make Burlington's transit spending go farther if some of the unit operating costs are lower.

I'm surprised Halton hasn't brought transit for its cities under the regional umbrella as well. Though the local services seem more oriented to supporting GO service, and the urban areas are fairly disconnected aside from Burlington and Oakville. The best option for combining systems would depend on travel patterns between the cities -- is there more of that between Burlington and Oakville, or Hamilton and Burlington? It's hard to say given that it's still relatively easy to drive between all three (and the generally poor service in the industrial/business parks along the QEW is a hindrance to encouraging people to take the bus from neighbouring cities, though I believe BT has upped its game... hard to do when they're so large and spread out though)

When the Dundas BRT is built, local transit routing/scheduling in the area should be revisited.

(sorry to be off topic! )

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 2:00 AM

From my understanding Burlington wanted to merge, it was Oakville that didn't want to.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs