HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Mosaic Potash Hill Centre Tower III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

View Poll Results: Should there be City sections or SSP: locals for the major cities?
SSP: Locals for Winnipeg, Regina, & Saskatoon 12 21.82%
SSP: Winnipeg; City-section Regina, Saskatoon 8 14.55%
SSP: Local for Winnipeg 5 9.09%
City-section for Winnipeg, Regina, & Saskatoon 1 1.82%
City-section for Winnipeg 6 10.91%
Retain status-quo 23 41.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:20 PM
ARTchitecture

SSP: Locals

Who wants SSP locals or city pages for their cities? I think Construction in all three major cities has picked up enough in recent years that this discussion is warranted again.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:41 PM
BANNED

I know Winnipeg will have plenty of topics to discuss. There seems to be much more variety for us than for Saskatchewan though. But I think Winnipeg merits it's own city section at the very least.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I know Winnipeg will have plenty of topics to discuss. There seems to be much more variety for us than for Saskatchewan though. But I think Winnipeg merits it's own city section at the very least.
I truly believe that sometimes change has to happen..we need it to grow..to change peoples opinions, thier pre concieved notions. Winnipeg has stepped up and is ready at the least to it's own section in the Prarie Provinces. This ain't 1991...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:12 PM
ARTchitecture

Winnipeg is also the largest city in the country without at least a city page. Hamilton has an SSP local and QC and Edmonton both have city pages.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:46 PM

Can you briefly explain the differences between these different options?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:54 PM
ARTchitecture

It doesn't take an explanation. Go to any sub-national forum and you will see them.

For instance, Atlantic Canada. Halifax has an SSP: Local, St. John's has a city page. The differences are very apparent.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 7:02 PM

In that case, how do I change my vote?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 7:10 PM
ARTchitecture

Votes can't be changed. But there will probably be a new poll next week which decides where to go from here, depending on the outcome of this one.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Mar 14, 2013 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 8:56 PM

Chad has done an excellent job in explaining how to vote and articulates himself well,excellent job!
Thier is a problem IMO. Mods and long time users will find it quite easy to figure out the voting system and choices. Newer user(even myself) have to go back and forth trying to understand the choices. It may be easy for the old hands but not so much for the NEW generation of posters. It would be usefull if a MOD would explain in simple terms to all,officially what we are clicking for?
MODS, who know the inner workings and traffic of this site are voting? This would terribly skew the results of such a poll. The average everyday user,(your bread and butter) would not have the traffic stats and user info (location,return visits) the everday browser who searches ie: Regina would have.

Could a MOD pls. clarify these questions? Thx. I found the SSP thread very unusual as the MODS said as a larger majority thier should be no change, With SEVERAL votes going the same way each time?? Thx for listening.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 9:19 PM
ARTchitecture

Are people just messaging their friends on here to get them to vote against progress?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 9:21 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Are people just messaging their friends on here to get them to vote against progress?

Wow - paranoid are we? Actually there's a bunch of people handing out flyers at P&M and getting people to login via several laptops and a wifi hotspot to vote against the proposal.

Personally I encouraged 121 people so far today to register and vote....

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 9:29 PM

Haha..who knows Chad..The interent is a wonderous place ! I've seen it all as many probably have..But I hated programming polls and posting thier results...lol...Progress? 2 steps forward..3 steps b......

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 9:41 PM

Word of warning: People should note that the users here that actually get inside info - the ones that actually make this board worth reading - are many of the ones that have spoke against any changes.

Just might want to consider that when you vote.

Aside from that, the SSP Locals look pretty ridiculously broken out for a board that gets as little traffic as the Man/Sask one gets.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 9:56 PM
Has been

This whole thing reads as a solution in search of a problem.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle33 View Post
This whole thing reads as a solution in search of a problem.
That's been my thoughts.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:07 PM

It's not a threat as I'm not one of those I'm talking about (I'm one of the masses that don't add much value compared to the 'in the know' people). I just don't think it's the greatest idea to make the board less convenient for those that I specifically come here to read.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:38 PM
BANNED

I actually find the Manitoba-Sask section cluttered and disorganized the way it is. It just seems like a random bunch of topics with no rythem or rhym. It seems like threads are consistently going off topic of the actual threads themselves, and that, as a reader is increadibly frustrating. I don't notice that in the other city sections. I think a bit more organization would do this section some good. Ultimately this will happen and I think most people know that. I, for one, will enjoy this forum much more with the additional organization of the threads.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 12:21 AM
I am a typical

The last thread on this subforum page is over 4 months old. The construction thread only grows a few pages a week. It simply isn't needed.

If we see more discussion and more threads, then maybe it will be warranted, but right now, the risk of losing membership is too great to experiment with this.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 1:50 PM

I like Regina/Saskatoon together but Winnipeg needs to be on its own. Today for example I click on a thread about a construction job which i thought was in Regina, but it was Winnipeg. a bit annoying

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 3:21 PM

Interesting to see how various regions vary. In the Atlantic Region, Halifax has its own SSP and St. John's has a City page. In the Alberta & BC section, Vancouver and Calgary have SSP pages, whereas Edmonton just has a City page. Like all things, it comes down to personal preference. I actually prefer the relatively simple City pages of St. John's and Edmonton to the full SSP pages of the other 3 cities noted. Just too much additional navigation for my liking within the full SSP page.

I like to see what is happening in the region simply going to the Man/Sask page. I'd be less likely to follow what's happening in Manitoba if I have to go to a separate page for that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan