HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 12:37 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.butcher View Post
Forgive me if this is a duplicate post, but I went back through this thread several pages and did not see any mention of this project. [Also, apologies for the size of this pic, but that is the size as posted on the Patriot News' website] This is really a nice addition to the hospital and will, in my opinion, actually help the traffic at the intersection of Chestnut and Front Streets. [It appears to me that entering the hospital grounds from along Front Street will not be an option any longer, hence the improvement].

I'm going to try to get the camera out tomorrow and get a few pics, because the foundation excavations are already started.

Not a duplicate at far as I can tell. I never remembered hearing about it. Nice to hear about a project when it is already started. Is the rendering a view from front street?? I like the modern element. It helps to inject some "newness" into downtown design. Maybe help the image of the area? To tell you the truth it is really hard to tell where the hospital stops and the rest of the buildings begin. It just sorta blends in. Maybe that will change now?

After reading the Pennlive blurb; comment on the project. You stated the new edition should expand the ER to 60K compacity. According to the online article it should already exceed that. Doesn't sound like they are building to expand...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 3:42 AM

Harrisburg Hospital Emergency Room Expansion Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Is the rendering a view from front street?? I like the modern element. It helps to inject some "newness" into downtown design. Maybe help the image of the area? To tell you the truth it is really hard to tell where the hospital stops and the rest of the buildings begin. It just sorta blends in. Maybe that will change now?

After reading the Pennlive blurb; comment on the project. You stated the new edition should expand the ER to 60K capacity. According to the online article it should already exceed that. Doesn't sound like they are building to expand...
Yes, as you guessed correctly, the rendering is from Front Street/Riverside Park. Here's a pic I took of roughly the same view:

Click for larger image.

You're right, Young Gun: the Emergency Room Expansion Project will unify the main hospital building, tying it together in a way which is not readily apparent to the unknowing visitors to the City.

You are also correct that the "Expansion Project" doesn't necessarily add new patient capacity, just better accommodates the existing patient load in a much better, maybe even safer, manner. The existing Emergency Room was apparently built to handle 42,000 yearly, but has been handling 60,000 yearly. At least with the addition, they'll be able to safely handle the current patient load. Sorry if I was unclear about that in my post.

However, as EastSide stated upthread, there doesn't seem to be a plan for the Hospital...it just kinda happens. So, 5 or 10 years from now, when the ER is handling 75,000 patients, they'll need to build AGAIN!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 7:05 PM
Man on a mission

Eventually they are going to need to demolish and build a new more unified building or they will need to expand across Mary Street. Anyone know if they own those properties?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 11:22 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Eventually they are going to need to demolish and build a new more unified building or they will need to expand across Mary Street. Anyone know if they own those properties?
Yep, they do. It's surprisingly nice inside the warehouse-looking building, and you would never know it from the street (probably intended to be this way, though).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 11:34 PM
Me?!?

And in case you haven't heard the news yet:

Boscov's Files for Bankruptcy Protection

I was very surprised that one of the THREE stores within minutes of each other in HBG weren't mentioned in this article (but this is in the Inquirer, though, so...). I imagine they will close at least one of those sometime soon, though. My guess is it will be the HBG Mall one, as that store didn't turn any profit and was only there because they got a very good deal from the mall.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 12:05 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
And in case you haven't heard the news yet:

Boscov's Files for Bankruptcy Protection

I was very surprised that one of the THREE stores within minutes of each other in HBG weren't mentioned in this article (but this is in the Inquirer, though, so...). I imagine they will close at least one of those sometime soon, though. My guess is it will be the HBG Mall one, as that store didn't turn any profit and was only there because they got a very good deal from the mall.
The print version of the Patriot News informed us that the Boscov's in the Harrisburg Mall is shuttering its doors

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 12:38 AM

Thumbs up Harrisburg University Tower - construction update

I promised a photo update of the Harrisburg University Tower downtown. As you can see below, the Tower is really coming along. I like the design, especially the ovoid/irregularly shaped floors directly underneath the roof. Those windows are going to show a hell of a view!

Here's a link to the entire album: http://picasaweb.google.com/chris.bu...echnologyTower

More updates coming soon.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 2:08 PM
Man on a mission

wish I could view your photos at work. They block picaweb, but not flickr,

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 11:11 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
The print version of the Patriot News informed us that the Boscov's in the Harrisburg Mall is shuttering its doors
Really? Wow, do I know my business or what?!? Let's see how long that store sits empty now *sigh*

Cool pics, Chris, thanks!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 4:53 AM

Harrisburg International Airport leads PA airport for growth in 2007

Quote:
wish I could view your photos at work. They block picaweb, but not flickr,
Sorry about the blocking, Young Gun. Picasa is so easy to use, though. And I've kind of invested a lot in it, so I have to stay with Google on this one. I'm sure you get to see my pics at your home, though, right?

Glad you liked the pics, EastSide.

As to other positive news of the region: the Patriot News quotes an Airports Council International [ACI] report stating that HIA grew faster than any other airport in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Additionally, out of the 181 largest airports in the US and Canada, Harrisburg now ranks at 105, up 5 places from 110. And the airport even ranks #70 in the air freight placings. Full story here: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...r_ranking.html

HIA from the new PA Turnpike Bridge

One other fun airport statistic: the US FAA ranks HIA as 107th of 574 commercial airports in the US for 2007. Put another way, HIA is in the top 19% of all commercial aviation airports in the United States. Not bad for this region and this City. Here's the link to the report in Adobe Reader format: http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff...ry_np_comm.pdf

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 12:11 PM
Man on a mission

Yeah I wasn't asking you to switch services. I do look at them at home, it just makes me wait a little

I think Harrisburg's Airports position on the list closely matches our size ranking among MSA population right? I wonder if all of the good news we have heard lately will go away once the economy picks back up and the bump that the State goverment gives the town will be negated. Hopefully the continued development in the area during this slow time will help us catch up to some other metros before the happens

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 1:31 AM

HIA + MSA ranking

Quote:
Yeah I wasn't asking you to switch services. I do look at them at home, it just makes me wait a little
I didn't take it that way, Young Gun. I just wanted to be sure you could see them. What's the use in posting pics that can't be seen!?

Quote:
I think Harrisburg's Airports position on the list closely matches our size ranking among MSA population right? I wonder if all of the good news we have heard lately will go away once the economy picks back up and the bump that the State goverment gives the town will be negated. Hopefully the continued development in the area during this slow time will help us catch up to some other metros before the happens
The airport is fairly close to our MSA rankings. The U.S. Census ranks Harrisburg as the 67th largest MSA in the United States out of 280 total [see this link: http://www.census.gov/population/www...bles/tab03.txt] This puts the Harrisburg MSA in the top 24% of all MSA's - closing matching the airport ranking.

The Harrisburg MSA population includes Lebanon and Carlisle and is nearly 630,000 at year 2000.

A couple of other rankings which may be of interest are the television and radio rankings. From Arbitron, Harrisburg is the 47th largest television market and the 77th largest radio market in the nation.

As far as the airport keeping its business, its going to be a challenge. American is pulling out completely in November and US Airways has dropped flights to/from Pittsburgh. The airport has gone through a few of these rough patches before and the business has always returned. As of June 2008, the airport is still showing + 2.69% growth over last year, which was a great year.

Its too damned bad that the Open Skies agreement hasn't benefited smaller regional airports like HIA. It might in the future, but so far, Open Skies has been a bust, IMHO.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 12:12 PM
Man on a mission

I am not familiar with what Open Skies is. Do you have more information on it?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 4:08 PM
Baryonic Lord

I didnt know the airport grew that much. cool.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 1:41 AM

Open Skies

Quote:
I am not familiar with what Open Skies is. Do you have more information on it?
Check your messages on your profile on this forum, Young Gun. I sent you info off thread, as Open Skies is technically OT [off topic] for this Harrisburg thread.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 3:41 AM

Thumbs up AirTran Comes to HIA!!

If you haven't seen the news, Harrisburg International Airport announced today that AirTran Airways will now be flying non-stop between MDT and MCO [that's Harrisburg to Orlando].

Full story at The Patriot News online: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...s_to_orla.html

This is great news for the airport and should keep its numbers good, even after American pulls out this fall. AirTran will have four jet gates to choose from. And they are flying Boeing 717-200 aircraft, which seat about 120 people. There will also be business class seating aboard. If you've ever flown AirTran, you know that occasionally, they will offer on-the-spot upgrades to business class for half the additional cost. When I flew AirTran in May of this year, they were offering business class seating for just $89.00 [that's in addition to the cost of your economy airfare]. I thought about it very seriously.

This is a picture of the AirTran area at Orlando International [MCO]:

HIA has a demonstrated need for lower-cost Florida flights and I think AirTran will do well. I know I'll be flying them! When Trans Meridian Airlines was at HIA they had full planes. What did in Trans Meridian was poor management and a bad business model. They had great prices and kept the planes full.

Welcome to Pennsylvania's Capital City, AirTran!!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 3:35 PM
Man on a mission

To give this thread some new meat...

One lane of Front Street has been shut down to do the work on the hospital. Wish other projects were announced and began so quickly.

The Site for the 40,000 sq. ft. office building in Midtown has been leveled. I think it has had grass seeded over it however.

There has been several articles in the print edition of the Patriot News, but not online of the Midtown Commercial building that is next to the Midtown HACC. The building is using Geothermal heating. Interesting feature in my opinion. They are drilling 75 holes for the pipes.

The Midtown bookstore had its building bought by Powers and Associates. It is moving to a MUCH larger building on the Southwest corner of Verbeke and 3rd. He bought the building probably for a good price. It used to be that antique store.

Sorry kids that is all I have!!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 12:04 AM
B-MORE than u strive for!

nice-lookin' tower for harrisburg university. looks like a winner!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 11:47 AM
Man on a mission

Thanks Mason, I think the execution of it was very nice.

I'll be coming down to your city tonight to watch the Birds game.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 6:19 PM
Man on a mission

Well, it has been a long time since anyone has posted in this forum. I thought I would give an update of what I have noticed around the city

-First construction of the 40,000sf office building along Front Street is underway. I’ll try to get photographs soon.

-It is rumored among some of the locals in the building management community that Wetzler has pulled out of WCI properties and that the Aloft hotel has been permanently canceled. I hope that this isn’t true. There has yet to be an official story either way and tighter credit qualifications might scuttle the project anyhow. News of the Barto Building hotel has slowed as well.

- In the Patriot News today. I know someone on this board in the past, can’t remember how long ago talked about a project like this. A developer has proposed 33 one bedroom apartments to be located in the former Ronald Brown Carter School. The proposed rents for the apartments 405sf to 720sf apartments would be in the range of $875 to $1200 and would be fully furnished. The Housing Planning Commission approved the project, but insisted on off street parking for each of the units. (< This could be a problem, there isn’t much room in the area for additional parking. There is one final regulatory hurdle however. The project requires a zoning change because it is an apartment building located in a limited residential section of the city. The Harrisburg Zoning Hearing Board is scheduled to review the mater Monday

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations