HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 4:13 AM

Downtown construction updates from 8-27-17

The Link Innovation Quarter

Gallery Lofts expansion?? Im assuming this road closure is for that project? I'm not sure.

Bailey Power Plant

Hampton Inn & Suites and future home Kaliedium Science Museum

Hotel Indigo @ the Pepper Building and future site of a 104-room Hyatt Place.

Restoration on Trade St.

Commerce Plaza renovation.

So Happy to see Don Flow's name in downtown. His logo would look great on top of 500 West 5th St.

Public art being installed for Central on 5th grand reopening.

757 North.

West End Station.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 5:30 AM
Be Happy!

Projects & Construction:
We have several new projects in this week's update. Maybe we should lead with them? To find new projects, look for on the project name. The name will also be in red for new projects. Completed projects are shown in blue, with a .

I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. I also want to thank historian Fam Brownlee for sharing updates. Without all of you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media. Some photographs, posted to WSTB or social media, on Mondays may not appear on this thread until Tuesday of the following week. If using Twitter or Instagram, don't forget to use #'s, so I can find them. Thank you, again!

A great construction song, on the charts in Spring 1946:
Video Link

Hyatt Place Hotel & Residences:
Mayfair Street Partners will be the developer of a new construction mixed-use building at 312 North Liberty Street. The mixed-use building will combine a new 104-key Hyatt Place Hotel with apartments and office space for Piedmont Federal Bank. How often do you see an office building with hotel rooms on the upper floors? The upper hotel floors will be constructed by Modular Steel Solutions, using modular stack construction with cold-formed steel. This will allow them to build the new building in seven months. Construction is scheduled to begin in Spring 2018. Completion is scheduled for First Quarter 2019.

Old Rendering:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSTB Forum
Whitaker Park Apartments:
An early look at the plans, created by Walter Robbs Architects, for this adaptive-reuse project. It will have 152 apartments.

Credit: k.payne.jr

Joymongers Barrel Hall:
We now have the name of this brewery project. This brewery will use oak fermenters rather than stainless steel and their aging process will use former wine & whiskey barrels. J. Hyatt Hammond Associates is the architect and completion is set for March 2018. Expect to see an industrial vibe, communal tables, and 17 taps. You will be able to see the brewing process from the taproom.

Aviation College:
We finally have a rendering of this project. Construction is set to begin in Fall 2018, with completion set for late-2019. The project is significantly smaller than originally proposed, since they reduced the amount of hanger space. The new building will have more shop and lab space than than originally proposed and is expandable.

Credit: FTCC

Reynolds Athletic Complex: Built!
The first phase of this project is completed. The building now has an open living room, group fitness areas, fitness equipment, places to explore mindfulness, a kitchen for nutrition workshops, massage therapy, social gathering spaces, well-being coaches, and space for well-being activities. Not many photographs, at this time, so no big photography post on the completion. Since a second phase is currently under construction, this project will stay on our construction list.

Credit: WFU

Downtown Marriott and Embassy Suites Renovations:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Central on 5th:
The moment you've waited for is now here! This building will open on Thursday, at 11:00 a.m.,.

This is the library's demonstration kitchen for cooking classes:

Credit: FCPL

Library Cafe:

Credit: foodie.traveler.gal

Reading Garden Sculpture:

Credit: dsw_bham

Reading Garden Sculpture - Library in multiple languages:

Plaza Building & Galleria:
Plans were released for a nearly $3 million renovation of the concrete plaza at this building. The concrete plaza, designed in 1976 by New York City-based Croxton Collaborative Architects, will be redesigned by Little Diversified Architects, with a significant water feature. The plaza will be renamed as a "courtyard." No renderings at this time.

Winston Tower Amenity Space:

"Work coming along on the Crossover amenity space on the 12th floor."

Credit: winstontower

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:

Credit: fades2white

"The last 1000 feet of runway 22"

Credit: flysmithreynolds

Twin City Lofts Condominiums:

Three new retail spaces:

Concrete wall panels:

Credit: lambert_dg

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:

It's the construction project in the top right corner:

Credit: tim_hutch

WSSU Residence Hall:
I think this is our first construction update on this project?

Credit: wssu.alumni

West End Station:
Forum member CamCityFan, at the WSTB Forum, posted an update last week on this massive 229 unit apartment development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamCityFan @ WSTB Forum

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)

Credit: uwforsyth

Credit: brittanydstack

Credit: chandlerconcretecompany

Credit: mdinwsnc

Credit: xanseye

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
I found several great photographs of this 344 unit apartment and retail development.

"Pouring footings today for Lithko Contracting at the Link Apartments"

Credit: Dr. Tomlinson

Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company: Built!
Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company is now open. The new brewery combines traditional mountain music with great beer and some of Winston-Salem's best food trucks. This new brewery appears to be very popular, as are all of downtown Winston-Salem's breweries. Reports said the brewery is large in size, but was still full, both inside and out! All of the reviews, so far, say their beers are really good, which explains the large crowds.

Credit: fiddlinfishbrewing

Credit: dashley253

Credit: thatguydoub

Credit: fiddlinfishbrewing

Credit: jeremy.glasgow

Credit: virchowous

Off-Subject:

ATP Winston-Salem Open:
Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain won the 2017 Winston-Salem Open. He is ranked the 13th best tennis player in the world on the ATP World Tour.

Roberto Bautista Agut with the Winston-Salem Open Moravian Star Trophy:

Credit: herbolarionavarro

Next year's Winston-Salem Open will featured covered seating, built into the stadium.

Random Photographs:

Credit: pmlynchphotography

Credit: kayleymull

Credit: thewanderinggirlandherchucks

Winston-Salem State University:

Credit: wssu1892

Artwork at a rooftop bar in downtown Winston-Salem:

Credit: jeks_nc

University of North Carolina School of the Arts:

Credit: uncsa

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 4:45 AM
Be Happy!

I just noticed TwinCity posted photographs. It was at the same time I was assembling Tuesday morning's big update, so I didn't notice it until now. Thank you for sharing updates! I'm always thankful for any help offered with this thread. It's a sample of what this thread would look like if it was updated by someone who lives in Winston-Salem. If I knew you had an update, I would've waited two days to post my update. I think the Seventh Street work is a storm drain project? I noticed 418 North Trade was posted, which is a project we aren't following on this thread. For those following Winston-Salem only on this thread, the owners purchased an historic building that was badly renovated in the 1970s. They are restoring the building to its original appearance, using the top two floors for their downtown dream home and leasing the first floor for retail. If there is a project I'm not posting on, but you would like to follow it, just post it or let me know you would like to see updates on it. I try to post larger projects, so some smaller projects never appear on this thread. The Hampton Inn & Suites project looks bigger than I thought it would. That is likely the biggest surprise, among the current projects.

I may have to post the completed library (Central on 5th) in its own post, this weekend? It's too large to post in the weekly update. The library is open, right now, if you want to see it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 5:39 AM
Be Happy!

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

Construction updates from what is unofficially the last week of Summer...
Video Link

Hotel Indigo:
You've waited over a year for this and it's our lead project of the week! Abatement/demolition work is over! Workers will start the conversion of this building into a hotel, today. They will begin on the 6th floor.

Credit:melalenz

1794 Boys' School Restoration:
Finally, an update on the 1794 building! This building is 223 years old!

"Vaulted storage room on the lower level of the Boys' School. The overhead hooks once held up shelving."

Credit: oldsaleminc

Credit: oldsaleminc

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:
The developer is acquiring demolition permits to demolish the horribly renovated 1928 office building for this new hotel.

Joymongers Barrel Hall:
They have now decided to install 20 taps at this brewery. Mike Rollinson said "We wanted to create something that’s pretty unique for Winston-Salem. There aren’t that many barrel-aging facilities around.” They will have trivia nights, food trucks, and live music. Live music will become a major part of this brewery. They are currently in demolition and expect to start renovations on October 1. Renovations will include skylights and garage doors. The Spanish Revival building was originally a GMC Truck dealership in 1928. This brewery will only brew in smaller batches, so they won't bottle, can, or distribute/wholesale their beers to other restaurants or bars. If you want to try these beers, you have to visit this brewery. Completion is set for February 2018.

Southwest Corner Balcony:

Credit: susantinteriors

Testing:

Closet:

Shower:

Beautiful Fireplace:

Brookstown District:
The developers are finalizing their financing, to begin construction "possibly" on September 25, 2017.

Credit: javaczar

Credit: a1experry

Sunday Night (September 3):

Credit: john_r_photography

View from NCNB Parking Deck:

Credit: it.is.lj

Credit: rammy_4564

Native Camel has more photographs than this, at the WSTB Forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Camel @ WSTB Forum

Casper's Alehouse, Bar, Apartments & Office Space:
414 North Liberty Street will be restored by Mayfair Street Partners to its original historic appearance, with luxury apartments, office space, an upscale restaurant, and a basement speakeasy. Construction could begin in late-2017 and the restaurant could open in September 2018? Casper's New American Alehouse and J.L. Casper's bar are named for a popular downtown Winston-Salem distillery that opened in 1861, selling whiskey across the nation, and closed in 1908, during North Carolina's prohibition. Expect to see vintage decor, a long bar, and upscale but casual American food, with a focus on local, seasonal foods and artisanal cocktails and local craft beers. The menu will include items such as ribs, salmon, steak, oysters, crab legs, rainbow trout, and vegetarian choices. The developer will open their office in this building and is considering making this restaurant & speakeasy a Winston-Salem-based chain, with future locations proposed in Atlanta and Charlotte, for those looking for a taste of Winston-Salem in those cities. This developer loves the historic buildings in Winston-Salem and would like to work on apartment and condo projects in downtown. #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Renderings showing their plans for the proposed restaurant & speakeasy:

Credit: Mayfair Street Partners

Basement Speakeasy with Fireplace:

It's designed to have a Victorian appearance:

They want to use exposed brick walls, when possible:

The original Casper's Distillery, on North Liberty Street, in downtown Winston-Salem, in 1894:

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Library

The J.L. Casper's Distillery building was located on North Liberty Street, near Eleventh Street, in downtown Winston-Salem. Their bottles are very popular and expensive collector's items. This company did distribute its products across the nation, as an upscale brand, in unique and sometimes colorful bottles.

Frogman Interactive Headquarters: Built!
This adaptive-reuse project is now completed. I think it was completed a few months ago? Sadly, this creative company didn't share any photographs of the completed office.

500 West Fifth Street:
Sadly, no interior photographs. Don Flow said, he would like to use the sixth floor as "an interesting space open to the public and a gathering spot during the day for people who want to work." Co-work space that is free to use, with no memberships. It could offer food and nice views of the city. Flow wants this skyscraper to be a magnet for young people interested in starting and growing a business. He wants this skyscraper to be the best place in the state to start a business and is working to make it the city's top competitive advantage in attracting startups.

Credit: jsilkstonephotos

LJVM Renovation:

"Fact of the day: Every new scoreboard & construction project requires new frames & brackets."

Credit: ljvmcoliseum

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
Robinson Iron has completed some of the restoration work for this project.

"Restored cast iron grilles for Union Station in Winston-Salem"

Credit: robinson_iron

Alternative Transportation:

Design a Bike Friendly Workplace:
Would you like to design a bike friendly workplace? Visit the Center for Design Innovation, in downtown's IQ District, for BIKEnight on September 6, at 5 p.m.,. They will have a community ride, you can learn about solar bikes, see Winston-Salem's bike infrastructure plans, design a bike rack and charging station, and they will teach you how to design a bike friendly workplace. They also have other activities. It is free, but you need to RSVP with the CDI.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

The glass on this building has nice reflections:

Credit: my_small_wardrobe

Credit: twincityroses

On a cool rainy day, the bike share is well used:

Credit: simplyseton

Credit: jamesvpike

Credit: faded_lens_photography

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:13 AM
Be Happy!

Central on 5th: Built!
This project is now completed. The new library has everything from a makerspace to cooking classes to an art gallery to a top floor outdoor reading area to a reading garden & outdoor event space to a state history museum to an audio/video production studio to meeting facilities to coding for girls to video game tournaments and so much more. I was a when I was a kid and I loved going to libraries. They allowed me to explore the world, see how things work, and learn about anything I was interested in. I wish libraries were this nice when I was a kid. I would've moved-in.

Many of the out-of-state construction workers commented on how large this new library is.

First, we should look at what was demolished to build the new building:

Credit: blib660

Credit: carolinatbirds

Credit: foodie.traveler.gal

Credit: okellylibrary

Credit: visitwinstonsalem

Taking the elevator from the parking under the building:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Credit: bloggingwhitmom

Cornerstones from demolished library buildings at this site and for the new building:

Winston-Salem has one of the finest public library art collections in the southeast United States. It was donated by the city's wealthy industrialists and financial executives, a long time ago. They also built the city a (now demolished) downtown library with an art gallery, many decades ago. I'm sure most of you didn't know this existed, because it was in storage for so many years. The new library was designed to bring back the art gallery! And you don't have to be in the gallery to see the art. Look for parts of the collection in all areas of the library.

The colorful painting from 1788 is the work of English artist George Romney and the snow painting is Andrew Wyeth:

A video wall waterfall:

Credit: mrjincks

Credit: katiedicksonphoto

Credit: hubertwomack

Credit: Winston-Salem Foundation

The state's best history research center:

Makerspace:

I like these bridges:

The reading garden sculpture and yes, it has lights:

Credit: nomadic_sagittarian

Credit: fifthletter

Demonstration Kitchen:

Credit: skinnerkat.w

Credit: lizzybroughton

Credit: fcplteens

Credit: stimmelpa

Credit: stimmelpa

Credit: nan_larosee

Credit: Winston-Salem Foundation

Top floor reading terrace / observation deck:

Credit: blib660

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 5:44 AM
Be Happy!

Projects & Construction:
Lately, the number of photographs I'm finding, showing construction sites, has declined. Maybe it's the weather? I do need your help to make these updates possible. If usable photographs decline further, I may have to discontinue the big weekly updates. I'm in another state and can't do this on my own. I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

As many of you know, I'm not in North Carolina. I live in one of the metro areas in the path of Irma. With wind, the sound of transformer explosions, rain, cold weather, and multiple power outages... somehow... this was posted! My street and yard are filled with debris and the storm destroyed part of my home's gutters. The last power outage at my house was around 9:30 p.m.,. I still hear the wind & rain, but the update made it through the storm and on-time!

Video Link

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:

Steel arrives on site to construct the canopy:

Credit: hammerhead_built

Science & Office Building:
A local TV station is reporting this is under construction? Completion is set for 2019, according to that story. With this information, I'll move it to our first post construction list.

Credit: Design Collective

Installing new stormwater drains on the terminal apron:

Salem Lake Marina:
This project should be close to completion?

A nice view:

Credit: gregjamesball

Credit: forever_immaculate

Credit: a_mazzocchi

Credit: mywinstonsalem

Yes, Winston-Salem still has a few Victorian Belgian block streets in downtown:

Credit: hbi_mark

Hotel Indigo:
We have updated renderings. The National Park Service will require the developer to keep the metal panels where the transom windows once were located. They have also value-engineered the project, removing the canopy and replacing it with a canvas awning. The original 1928 manual elevator will be trashed, but they will keep the original elevator doors and reuse them somewhere in the lobby? In these renderings, we can see more details on the addition for the kitchen, stairs, and mechanical equipment. They are also taking advantage of the 21 foot (6.4 metre) lobby ceilings to add another floor. The building will have 7-8 floors above the sidewalk, depending on what you count. The large penthouse on the southwest corner would be the 8th floor. The third floor (formerly the second floor) will be raised by 21 inches (535 millimetres) to install HVAC equipment. The original maple floors for the third floor will be used to repair the maple floors on the upper floors. So, hotel rooms on the third floor will have lower floor-to-ceiling heights and different floor coverings from the rooms on the hotel's other floors. They will also install more windows and larger windows on the building's south elevation.

Liberty Street Elevation:

Fourth Street Elevation:

The addition and changes to the South Elevation:

The lobby, showing the restaurant & bar:

The floor they are adding:

A look at the bar area and the new floor:

Wake Forest University had Highest Bar Exam Passage Rate in N.C.:
Passage rates for the July 2017 Bar Exam in North Carolina are: Wake Forest University at 86.3%, Duke University at 84.2%, Campbell at 81.3%, UNC at 80.6%, N.C. Central at 53.7%, and Elon at 44.3%. If you're thinking of going to law school in North Carolina, you should strongly consider Wake Forest University School of Law.

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
A permit was pulled to construct the North Tower Crane, yesterday. This tower crane is said to be 190 feet (58 metres) tall. The construction site for this building will have two tower cranes.

Credit: Wake Downtown

Credit: nogodsnomonsters

Credit: jeremythorne

Credit: wsambassadors

Stevens Center Apartments:
Wiley Hausam will lead renovations at the historic 1928 Stevens Center in downtown Winston-Salem. He told YES! Weekly “I’m looking forward to joining UNCSA and coming to Winston-Salem, which has such a rich history of arts and culture.” Hausam is president of Hausam Arts LLC, and previously held the positions of senior artistic advisor and artistic and executive director at The Broad Stage at Santa Monica College, executive director of Stanford Live and Bing Concert Hall at Stanford University, executive director of The Performing Arts Center at Purchase College (State University of New York), and executive director of the Jack H. Skirball Center for the Performing Arts at New York University. Lindsay Bierman said Wiley has experience launching world-class performance facilities at New York University and Stanford University. A top priority will be the revitalization of the historic Stevens Center.

LJVM Renovation:

It's on the left: (It's interesting to see Third Street end at a church)

Credit: lintornado

Alternative Transportation:

Passageway Park:
Phase II construction is about to start. Construction workers will add the lighting, landscaping, and furniture.

Credit: osgoodla.inc

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)

Credit: bartscollection

Off-Subject:

Quarry Park:
Remember when I said the park had remnants of old mining equipment as preserved artifacts? I finally found a photograph of one of them.

Credit: ethan_farmer17

Random Photographs:

Skyscraper views from the top floor reading terrace at the new downtown library:

Credit: kilo.delta.romeo

Credit: faithhiee__

Credit: foxtographic

Credit: emiekilljoy

The watchmaker:

Credit: davidbeesknees

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 5:18 AM
Be Happy!

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

Video Link

This is the last week of summer. Enjoy the warm weather and be sure to see your favorite construction projects!

Morris Building:

Shah Basketball Complex:

NBA star Chris Paul looking at the construction site:

Credit: wfunews

Removing old fuel pipes from the apron and installing storm water pipes:

Best Milkshakes in North Carolina:
According to Cosmopolitan Magazine, downtown Winston-Salem's Burger Batch has the best milkshakes in North Carolina. They are on Fifth Street, next to the Convention Center, if you're interested in trying one of their milkshakes.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/food-coc...tate/?slide=33

It's on the far left:

Credit: uwforsyth

Credit: memeinator3000

Credit: _ashleylaren_

Gallery Lofts II:
This 50 unit apartment building was printed on a 3D printer. Could it be a model of this project? I don't know? It may not be? I do know the numbers seem to match for this unidentified project and Gallery Lofts II. Maybe we will see an official rendering, soon? Until then, this is an interesting "maybe" for this project.

Credit: BBMArchitecture

418 North Marshall Street:
Workers removed precast panels from the 1982 building, so they can add more windows. Completion of this adaptive-reuse project is set for early November. It will become an office building.

Hotel Indigo:
Sefira Capital of Miami has purchased this building and will partner with Mayfair to develop the property into a hotel Indigo and upscale restaurant & bar. They have permits, as of Friday (September 15), and construction on the hotel conversion has already started.

Credit: sarcasm_4_free

Link Apartments Innovation quarter:
BB+M Architecture said: "Today's palette derives from all things bold and urban for the LINK brand's newest venture in Winston-Salem. Bold patterns, big textures, catch-your-eye metallics, and pops of color are all fair game! Stay tuned to see more of this project as it continues through the design process!"

Credit: BBMArchitecture

Credit: dashley253

Credit: sarcasm_4_free

Credit: tvaden

See the work around the smokestack (restaurant's outdoor space):

Credit: Wake Downtown

The Bath Waterway creates fog over downtown:

Credit: smithss_27106

Credit: smithss_27106

Downtown Embassy Suites Renovation:
This hotel was sold to Premier Management, which owns convention hotels in the southeast, and will be their first hotel in North Carolina. They are proposing a $9 million renovation.

Hospitality Ventures Management Group is spending $20 million on a major renovation of the Marriott Hotel, across the street, to be completed in April 2018. The Twin City Quarter should be impressive, when all of these construction projects are completed.

Stevens Center Apartments:

Credit: directoraustinabdo

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: vargmoder

Credit: zigzagaroundtheworld

Credit: guitartisan

Credit: wellswt_

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations