HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayitaintso View Post
http://www.businessinsider.com/amazo...-boston-2017-9

Keep sipping the koolaid-- the fix is in--Amazon using this process to shakedown Boston

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-headquarters
If Amazon is having political and social issues with Seattle I doubt that Boston would offer them any great change or relief. Boston's mayor has already said that he wasn't interested in being part of a bidding war (maybe just a smoke screen). In trying to check out sites in other cities I don't see any that are close in to a central business district (and has good public transit) as SY's/30th. St Station. Like all of us I don't know what Amazon really wants, but if its space to grow and have their own urban campus, and in general be a great location, I don't think anything beats the 70-95 acres that 30th. St. can offer.

BTW-----concerning Amazon in Europe, Seattle is only 2 hours further away from London then Philly, if that matters to anyone.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Besides Philly, it would leave Chicago and Atlanta, currently the top two options in the eyes of many. Philly definitely has a solid shot though if they put together a good package that highlights in depth all the potential advantages of the city.
But I was referring literally to that list, meaning that Philly would be left as #1 if housing prices dinged the 3 cities above it, which were among those ranked in the bottom 30% for that metric.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:49 PM

I say run an algorithm and let Alexa decide.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 7:12 PM

^I don't think we'd win that...

In all honesty, I would not be surprised if they pick Toronto. It's already got almost 3 million people, has a major airport, universities, and, if you've looked at the skyscraperpage diagrams, has an absolute shitload of development going on. That, and it has a reputation as a young and cosmopolitan city in general.

I could see Montreal, but if they're going for Canada, Toronto is the better option. Plus, there may be a bit of a language barrier. (I don't know, I've never been there.)

I see the appeal of Boston but if city executives (especially as high ranking as mayor) are seemingly opposed to the idea, and it's already frickin' expensive to live in, then we can maybe scratch that off the list of candidates. If Boston didn't have FAA height restrictions because the airport is so damn close to the city, they'd have a crap-ton of skyscrapers.

Chicago is a pretty good option, but the only downside is being in, as they say, "flyover country." They do have O'Hare, loads of universities, and it's already an enormous city, so it is a pretty good candidate.

Atlanta and Charlotte aren't exactly the places that strike me as candidates, but who knows? Atlanta is one of the biggest metro areas, and Charlotte's growing pretty fast. Atlanta has the world's busiest airport and Georgia Tech, and Charlotte's got a pretty big airport.

And, of course, the best option is Philly, for reasons discussed in the last few pages. There's nothing to say that hasn't been said.

I'd say the most likely are Chicago, Toronto, and Philadelphia.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 7:22 PM

An open letter to Amazon: Here's the pitch for Philadelphia

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/columni...-20170913.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

Read more here:
I've reached my article limit. Can someone pull the article or summarize? Thx.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:

Read more here:
Huh, and here I thought Inga hated Philly.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
It's as close to a love letter that Inga will ever pen about Philadelphia. Even so, she has to refer to Philly as a "gritty around the edges former manufacturing town", making us sound like some rust belt ghost town, and the fact that she's originally from a "large-ish city 90 miles to the north" as though that had anything to do with anything.
Other semi-put downs like "Two decades ago, when the city was on the ropes, and its very survival in question, no one here would have dared to engage in this sort of public chest-thumping. It’s not that Philadelphia didn’t have its charms; it’s just that the layers of neglect made them hard to see" damn us with faint praise, even though she goes on to say that we have rebounded. She also has to mention the wage tax.
An Open Letter to Inga:
Inga, STFU. You're not helping.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Had to go to my third device to get past my article limit.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
It's as close to a love letter that Inga will ever pen about Philadelphia. Even so, she has to refer to Philly as a "gritty around the edges former manufacturing town", making us sound like some rust belt ghost town, and the fact that she's originally from a "large-ish city 90 miles to the north" as though that had anything to do with anything.
Other semi-put downs like "Two decades ago, when the city was on the ropes, and its very survival in question, no one here would have dared to engage in this sort of public chest-thumping. It’s not that Philadelphia didn’t have its charms; it’s just that the layers of neglect made them hard to see" damn us with faint praise, even though she goes on to say that we have rebounded. She also has to mention the wage tax.
An Open Letter to Inga:
Big LOL at the end. It would of been coffee flying out of my mouth, but this late in the day, I've switched to tea. Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Good idea...I've got to steal my kids iPad for this technique then.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:07 PM

Quote:

Read more here:
Dear Amazon,

That little package you delivered last week to America’s biggest cities was pure marketing genius, on par with your announcement about cutting prices at Whole Foods. Now you’ve got hundreds of municipal officials elbow deep in the research necessary to find you a home for your second headquarters. You’ve launched the equivalent of Survivor: The Urban Edition, except in this version, the winner pays you.

The nation’s urbanist pundits haven’t wasted any time in handicapping the contestants. Before the first day’s news cycle was over, the New York Times Upshot column had declared Denver the winner. The Brookings Institute’s transportation guy likes Charlotte, N.C. Creative-class guru Richard Florida believes Washington, D.C., is the natural choice. Bloomberg reported that Boston has a lock on the contest.

These are all fine, lively places where I wouldn’t mind spending a long weekend. But since you want a city where you can grow your company to 50,000 employees over the next 20 years, you need a home base that can hold your interest over the long term. It has to have a strong sense of place, a rich cultural life, great transit connections and lots of infrastructure-ready land that is close to both the business center and top universities.

Let me suggest a location that has all these qualities and also has proven its appeal for 300-plus years: Philadelphia.

While you didn’t say this in your request for proposals, I’m guessing that you want a location that offers a different point of view from your current home in Seattle. The East Coast would provide that corollary, as well as a jumping off point to colonize Europe. Denver is a really a high-altitude version of Seattle, but with a more inconveniently located airport.

Your proposal smartly expressed a desire for the trinity of great urbanism: density, walkability, diversity. Of all the metropolises on the Northeast Corridor, none offers a better version of that mix, at a more affordable price, than Philadelphia. Where else can you have all the fruits of density and still live in a single-family home? Any home buyers you bring in from Seattle are going to have reverse sticker shock. We’ve got some great, transit-accessible suburbs, too.

I realize I’m biased, having migrated to Philadelphia three decades ago from a large-ish city 90 miles to the north. But this gritty-around-the-edges, former manufacturing town is really a place where you can dig in, make a life, and be anything you want to be. It’s an old city that is authentically authentic, yet crackles with youthful vigor. Our median age, 34.1, among the lowest of American cities.

We’ve got millennials and makers coming out of the woodwork, which ensures a deep pool of talent to staff your headquarters. To be honest, we’re not turning out quite as many software engineers as some of our competition, like Pittsburgh. Historically, we’ve been more of a medical research and pharmaceutical town. But our marquee tech company, Comcast, hasn’t had any trouble pulling in engineers or executives. Besides, like Comcast, you’re about so much more than tech these days, judging by your owner’s forays into the journalism, film, and grocery businesses.

Right now, Philadelphia’s two top business promoters, Commerce Director Harold Epps and the Philadelphia Industrial Development Corp. president John Grady, are hunkered down, working full-time to prepare a pitch laying out all the details, so they can make your Oct. 19 deadline. They’ve got a scouting trip to Seattle planned for later this month.

Dozens of other cities are doing the same. But this exercise in self-promotion is something new for us in Philadelphia. Two decades ago, when the city was on the ropes, and its very survival in question, no one here would have dared to engage in this sort of public chest-thumping. It’s not that Philadelphia didn’t have its charms; it’s just that the layers of neglect made them hard to see. But as the city has boomed with new construction and regained population and jobs — outpacing New York in the rate of growth, by the way — it has shed that inferiority complex. “We really excited to tell that story now,” Grady told me.

The city knows the competition is stiff. There isn’t an American city these days that hasn’t rediscovered its core and populated it with millennial precincts and high-design cafes selling $4 lattes. What’s nice about Philadelphia, though, is that our downtown was never destroyed. It’s the real deal, open to serendipitous juxtapositions of high and low, old and modern, soaring glass high-rises and toy-like colonial rowhouses.

Philadelphia isn’t one of those cities with one or two hot neighborhoods; it has dozens, each with its own distinctive identity and populated by committed old-timers and passionate newcomers. They may disagree about certain things, but they always end the discussion with a block party.

And speaking of parties, you won’t find a more hospitable city. In the last three years, we’ve hosted the Democratic Party’s national convention, the Pope and the NFL Draft. All those millennials pack our downtown sidewalks and waterfront trails, and sometimes make it annoyingly difficult to get last-minute restaurant reservations on Saturday night.

Of course, Washington, Boston and New York have similarly eclectic centers, but they’re pricey places because they’re already chock-a-block with tech companies. I can imagine you might be tempted by Baltimore and Newark, N.J., which are more affordable and similarly connected by Amtrak. But Philadelphia’s got the superior location, midway between Washington and New York, the nation’s political and financial capitals. It’s one reason why Forbes thinks we’re the city to beat.

Better still, Philadelphia has a huge chunk of land next to 30th Street Station with more property than you could ever hope to absorb. That fledgling innovation district, called Schuylkill Yards, is walking distance to both Center City and the universities. And the land is controlled by a single real estate entity, which means no bidding war for property as your headquarters grows. Because we’re upriver from the ocean, we can fairly confidently predict that the city won’t be inundated by sea-level rise.

More than any of our competition, Philadelphia has size — twice as many people as Denver, Charlotte, D.C., Boston, not to mention, Seattle. Bigness brings a thrilling diversity. The “City of Brotherly Love” isn’t merely a quaint old phrase we like to trot out. The mix has made us attuned to difference in a way that is crucial to the success of modern companies like Amazon. No one is passing laws here restricting which bathroom people can use.

We know we have some weaknesses. No one likes the wage tax, and the city has been slow to cut it down to size. Philadelphia may be rich in architecture and culture but struggles to make ends meet. Our schools are underfunded like many places. We will never be able to offer you $1 million a head to locate your headquarters here, the way Gov. Christie did with Subaru in Camden. Anyway, cities that pay more than $50,000 per employee will never break even, according to Greg LeRoy, at Good Jobs First, a think tank that studies corporate subsidies.

But you’re Amazon. You don’t need the money. What you do need is a dynamic, well-connected, up-and-coming home. Whatever happens, the future belongs to this dense old East Coast city.

OK, so now that we have that settled, can we talk about that all-cotton duvet cover I just ordered?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
"InPrivate" browser sessions are your friend

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:23 PM

^ Hack noted. Thanks.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
An Open Letter to Inga:
well she is also the same person who took issue with the last rocky movie because it showed to much of Philly that wasn't in CC and she didn't like the image it projected. She wanted to see gentrification, metal paneled townhouses, urban progressives walking dogs, etc.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 9:17 PM

[QUOTE=iheartphilly;7921177]I've reached my article limit. Can someone pull the article or summarize? Thx.[/QUOTE

in a nut shell-----"But you’re Amazon. You don’t need the money. What you do need is a dynamic, well-connected, up-and-coming home. Whatever happens, the future belongs to this dense old East Coast city." Her lips to Amazon's ears.

So, in other words, Amazon, get with it. We're the place to be.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
"InPrivate" browser sessions are your friend
For a lot of things I might add.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Guys all you have to do to get around the article limit is open incognito mode and then open the address. Come on this Philly Pravda tech not ... Amazon

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
^I don't think we'd win that...

In all honesty, I would not be surprised if they pick Toronto. It's already got almost 3 million people, has a major airport, universities, and, if you've looked at the skyscraperpage diagrams, has an absolute shitload of development going on. That, and it has a reputation as a young and cosmopolitan city in general.

I could see Montreal, but if they're going for Canada, Toronto is the better option. Plus, there may be a bit of a language barrier. (I don't know, I've never been there.)

I see the appeal of Boston but if city executives (especially as high ranking as mayor) are seemingly opposed to the idea, and it's already frickin' expensive to live in, then we can maybe scratch that off the list of candidates. If Boston didn't have FAA height restrictions because the airport is so damn close to the city, they'd have a crap-ton of skyscrapers.

Chicago is a pretty good option, but the only downside is being in, as they say, "flyover country." They do have O'Hare, loads of universities, and it's already an enormous city, so it is a pretty good candidate.

Atlanta and Charlotte aren't exactly the places that strike me as candidates, but who knows? Atlanta is one of the biggest metro areas, and Charlotte's growing pretty fast. Atlanta has the world's busiest airport and Georgia Tech, and Charlotte's got a pretty big airport.

And, of course, the best option is Philly, for reasons discussed in the last few pages. There's nothing to say that hasn't been said.

I'd say the most likely are Chicago, Toronto, and Philadelphia.
If expense and cost of living is something they care about, that does not bode well for Toronto. Ontario has a corporate tax rate of 11.5%, with certain exceptions that would not apply to Amazon (unless special ones are made) and one of the most expensive real estate markets around.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 12:23 AM

This the first truly prominent columnist I've seen pick Philadelphia.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/view/a...-can-do-better

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations