HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
(If that doesn't make any sense I completely understand, I was just kind of rambling on)
That is one of the best 'rambles' I've read. Srsly, you have a very good feel for the Big Picture. Man after my own heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
I really doubt Denver will be able to double-dip and receive a city share and a county share, considering it is a single entity that performs both city and county functions.
Well, I hadn't considered that; is their a precedent for this? Nvm, let's think about this logically.

It would be rational to allocate the city funds along a per capita basis. It would also be logical to allocate county funds based on land area. If they were to do this then they'd presumably have to give Denver both a city and a county share.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:24 AM

Repost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Valley Metro CEO Weighs In On How Transit, Transportation Tech Can Live Together
February 21, 2018 By Mark Brodie

I caught a lot of, but not all of, this discussion yesterday morning during the 9:00 hour on KJZZ so I decided to click it up and listen to all of it today. The objective was how will transit needs change or fit in with autonomous vehicles and ride sharing services in the future?

Scott was nice enough to touch all the Spring Training bases that I asked him to... I kid, but it was interesting that he spoke to all the various points of emphasis that I've made. He spoke to first- and last-mile issues, emphasizing high capacity corridors at the expense of local routes and needing a good mix of Express/BRT along with light rail routes. He also made the renewal of Prop 400 where discussion is only about four years off a critical inflexion point for the future. Interestingly, Scott also alluded to the need for dedicated bus lanes in the future w/o being obvious.

You too can listen in.
Since this was an interesting discussion and just as relevant to Denver, generally, I thought some might enjoy listening in. KJZZ is the local NPR station btw even if K-J(A)ZZ were more appropriate call letters in the olden days. Eh, I still listen in at night so it's all good.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 8:45 AM
Robotic Construction

Any good photo tours of Civic Center Station yet?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
Any good photo tours of Civic Center Station yet?
You bet!

It's official

Proposed sales tax increase could boost funding for transportation projects
February 22, 2018 by John Herrick/Colorado Independent
Quote:
“Our local communities need the resources to improve our streets, transit options, and walking and biking paths. These proposals will make it easier to get around, protect our air quality, and reduce congestion,” said Summit County Commissioner Dan Gibbs, who is part of the group that filed the ballot measures on Thursday.
One new wrinkle over the previously mentioned three proposals is a fourth proposal for a half-cent sales tax Plus $150 million per year from the state's General Fund. This could have (some) political advantages over the others since Republicans have been adamant that funding come from the General Fund... at least that's their political position.

For example a .62 percent increase in sales tax is projected to raise $620 million per year. A .50 percent increase Plus $150 million from the state general fund would raise $650 million per year. This could also be seen as leaving more capacity or room for local (as opposed to state) sales tax increases later on.

I have other questions but I'm waiting for the DBJ and others to explore these proposals over time.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 12:12 AM
cities|transit|croissants

I'm finally seeing one of your airport trains first hand, Denver!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
I'm finally seeing one of your airport trains first hand, Denver!
Not exactly! SEPTA has front/rear passenger windows (cool!) but Denver has luggage racks and bicycle racks (super cool!). Denver omitted trap doors in favor of double sliding doors. The NEC-based equipment design choice will have long term business impacts (bi level cars would have higher capacity per unit and greater potential for integration with intercity/regional trains on mixed use tracks since those often require low platforms.)

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 11:06 PM

DenverTrans... Thanks for the detail.

Is MOAR better?
No, no it definitely is not

Colorado roads: Business groups offer more funding options
Mar 1, 2018 By Ed Sealover – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
Then on Wednesday, a separate group of business organizations — including Colorado Concern, the Colorado Association of Motor Carriers and the Colorado Springs Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development Corp. — told the Denver Business Journal they will ask the Legislature to place on the ballot a hike in what's called the "Specific Ownership Tax," which residents pay each year when they register their vehicles.
Wut are you talking about?
Quote:
The three-part plan would:
  • Boost the fees on all vehicles in the state,
  • Institute a special fee on electric vehicles,
  • And add a new fee on new state residents.
It it would come in conjunction with an annual boost in general-fund spending of around $300 million on transportation.
This is no more than an 'altered state' version of the Republican plan. Dems will never agree to obligating the state's General Fund to $300 million a year.

I know that Colo Springs doesn't like raising the sales tax as they had already raised it locally for local needs. They already pay 8.25 percent.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 11:29 PM

Part Two

Colorado roads: Business groups offer more funding options

Interesting article with a smorgasbord of ideas. (Where have you been all these years?)
Quote:
David May, president and CEO of the Fort Collins Area Chamber of Commerce, said he believes a 5-cent-per-gallon increase in gas tax that is indexed to inflation should be added into the mix of potential funding options.
This has long been a favorite of mine and what most states have been doing, raising fuel taxes. But a nickel a gallon? Forgetaboutit. The top ten highest states now have an average of about 48 cents a gallon while Colorado's is 22 cents a gallon. With one bite at the apple you should raise the gas taxes by a dime increasing to 15 cents or don't bother. The growing state of Washington for example, now has a gas tax of 49.4 cents a gallon

What do the Mayors think?
Quote:
Aurora Mayor Steve Hogan noted that only one statewide tax hike has passed in the 25 years since voters approved the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights — a tax hike on cigarettes in 2004. He said that if officials were able to get voters to back a sales-tax hike for roads this year, they likely wouldn’t get another shot for another two decades.

Therefore, he and other mayors are advocating heavily for a full one-cent tax hike to be placed on the ballot. “I’ve got my most conservative city council member and my most liberal city council member saying, ‘It ought to be a penny or nothing,’” Hogan said.
And the winner should be?
Quote:
Denver Metro Chamber leaders — in conjunction with CCA and regional economic-development organizations — submitted four proposed ballot initiatives on Feb. 22.

One of the four proposals the coalition is considering also would tie the sales-tax to a mandatory general-fund contribution of $150 million a year toward transportation.
Knowing the position of Colo Springs in particular and a lot of Republicans in general, this 'compromise' proposal would likely gain the most widespread support.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 8:36 PM

Construction Information
http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/se_69

Quote:
As part of RTD's 2004 voter-approved FasTracks plan to extend rapid transit across the Denver metro region, construction continues for the Southeast Rail Extension project.

Through April 2018
  • Trainstation Circle East at Sky Ridge Avenue is closed for the installation of the track crossing, gates, signals and associated road work. Trainstation Circle West remains open and business/residential access will be maintained.
Upcoming traffic impacts: Friday, March 16 - Monday, March 26
  • Light rail services at Lincoln and County Line stations will be closed. Trains will continue to run north from Dry Creek Station. Riders are encouraged to utilize stations north of County Line Station or seek alternate means of transportation during this closure. Limited bus shuttle service will be available

Photo by Anna Stonehouse/The Aspen Times

City of Aspen looks to extend its offering of free rides in town; get cars off the road
Carolyn Sackariason - Aspen Times
Quote:
Four transit companies have bid to provide free rides around the city of Aspen, including the current provider, the Downtowner, whose contract is up in April.

The Florida-based, on-demand transportation company has been contracted with the city since 2016 to take people around town in its fleet of electric golf-cart vehicles. What began as a trial for that summer has turned into almost three years of service. In total, the city has spent more than $540,000 for the Downtowner through January, according to the company's CEO, Stephen Murray

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
This has long been a favorite of mine and what most states have been doing, raising fuel taxes. But a nickel a gallon? Forgetaboutit. The top ten highest states now have an average of about 48 cents a gallon while Colorado's is 22 cents a gallon. With one bite at the apple you should raise the gas taxes by a dime increasing to 15 cents or don't bother. The growing state of Washington for example, now has a gas tax of 49.4 cents a gallon
Colorado would have a "hella" long ways to go to match California on the gas tax which is right close to Washington state's 49.4 cents a gallon-thanks to Gov Jerry "High-tax" Brown (California's so high that some folks want to repeal it at the polls)..

Last edited by CastleScott; Mar 2, 2018 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:06 PM

Who wouldathunk?

Colorado Senate Republicans brush aside new business-backed transportation plan
Mar 5, 2018 by By Ed Sealover – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
Colorado Senate Republican leaders threw cold water Monday on a new, business-backed transportation-funding plan, saying they now believe there's enough money in the budget for roads this year and next that lawmakers won't have to ask voters for more.
So Republican Senators throw shade on the Business/Republican friendly roads proposal?

Yup, don't want to muddy up our message to the voters. We want a simplistic 'no new taxes' theme that's easy to make and easy for voters to understand, the centerpiece of the November elections for Republicans.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 11:05 PM

Oh noes
say it ain't so.

Following the lead of Trump, apparently, my favorite CityLab writer, Laura Bliss is blaming immigrants.

Why Is L.A. Expanding Transit—and Losing Riders?
Trying to address this conundrum, it's a bit of rambling piece referencing various statistics and basic elements based on research done at UCLA which adds to the previous research out of USC.

But let me cut to the chase
It goes more to common sense than anything. Phoenix has a gazillion immigrants with Hispanic being ofc dominant. They make their living primarily in the landscape, hotel and restaurant businesses as well as construction and various building trades. The likelihood that transit would take them to their job sites is mighty slim. It can amaze how most seem to swing car ownership and I'd say typically they are a one and not two (or more) car families. They also carpool.

There's also some discussion of sprawl creating car dependency, yada yada and to an extent if you compare cities that sprawl with the Original Six transit cities that's a legitimate factor but it also misses the point.

One might recall (or not) I've previously suggested that Denver is or is likely become a 'hybrid city' having both areas of density and sprawl. It's not strictly a black/white picture. And to assume that most lower socioeconomic and immigrant residents are transit dependent is a fallacy. If RTD is to bring riders into the city center then it needs to cater to those working downtown and not doing suburban landscape maintenance or house painting. Ofc, that's also where first and last-mile issues come into play.

It's also why Denveright/Denver Transit can make a significant contribution.

Last edited by TakeFive; Mar 12, 2018 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 5:43 AM

Would you like me to Google that for you?
Nope, in fact you've got the wrong door;
It's "Let me Uber that for you"

UCHealth, ride-sharing service form new partnership
By Ed Sealover – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
UCHealth is partnering with Uber to make doctor’s visits more accessible — another example of ways that health-care organizations are expanding their scope of care... The Aurora-based health system is offering 30 percent discounts on Uber rides to its Front Range hospitals — including the flagship University of Colorado Hospital — and to most of its outpatient locations for patients, visitors and employees. The discounts are good for as much as five dollars per trip.
Interesting read.

Btw, in Phoenix, Valley Metro is partnering with Lyft.
Lyft to give discounts to riders traveling to, from Phoenix bus stops
Oct. 18, 2017 by Jessica Boehm, The Republic | azcentral.com
Quote:
Phoenix can't place a bus stop in every backyard, but with the help of popular ride sharing app Lyft, the city aims to make it seem that way.
At least somebody has been paying attention to my pleas.
Quote:
A new program dubbed "First Mile Last Mile" will allow riders in some Phoenix areas to use Lyft at a reduced rate for rides between their homes and one of more than 500 city bus stops.

The partnership, launched Wednesday, encourages residents who live in the northern- and southern-most portions of the city — where transit opportunities are limited — to take Lyft to the nearest bus stop, where they access the city's expansive central transit grid.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
I'm delighted that this year's Colorado elections look to be dominated by transportation issues.

Side Note:
My early money is on Cynthia Coffman, current AG, winning the governor's race. What's interesting is that (now) deep red Arizona has already elected four female governors: two Dems and two Republicans. This could finally be Colorado's turn to elect its first female governor.
I agree we will likely have a woman governor. I disagree on who it will be. I think a Republican will have a hard time winning in purple state Colorado in what seems to be a likely Democratic "wave" election.

I do see a woman winning it though - Cary Kennedy, who came out ahead with the Dems in the recent caucus.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 3:59 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
There's also some discussion of sprawl creating car dependency, yada yada and to an extent if you compare cities that sprawl with the Original Six transit cities that's a legitimate factor but it also misses the point.
What is the sixth of the Original Six transit cities? Rangers, Bruins, Blackhawks, Flyers, Sharks-North, and...?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:02 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
I agree we will likely have a woman governor. I disagree on who it will be. I think a Republican will have a hard time winning in purple state Colorado in what seems to be a likely Democratic "wave" election.

I do see a woman winning it though - Cary Kennedy, who came out ahead with the Dems in the recent caucus.
If Cary is the candidate, then maybe I agree. But the Dems are short on good candidates. Walker Stapleton will be formidable. I would vote for him over Jared Polis, wave or no wave. Coloradans will vote a split ballot. And I am not sure it's as much a "wave" in Colorado, since the Governor's race is the only big race on our ballot. Congressional elections are bleh, uninspiring in the places where Dems would be most fired up (YAY - I am 19 and can't WAIT to go cast a vote for... Diana DeGette?) And we do not have a Senate seat up.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 5:07 PM

bunt... Rangers, Bruins, Blackhawks, Flyers, Sharks-North, and... Capitals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post

TBH, I wasn't yet familiar with the Dems but Cary sounds like an excellent candidate.

But I mostly agree with bunt and doubt there'll be any 'wave' in Colorado. I'm an "all politics is local" fan and any potential wave is more likely in states which boomerang but Trump's image is improving, sort of; it's more about those tax cuts than anything from a national perspective.

In Colorado, trending blueish or not, it's still 'we' independents that tend to decide elections. Stapleton may be a very good candidate in some respects but for me Cynthia is the right kind of face for the elephants if they want to win.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 5:39 PM

You can call them the Chokers, since that's all they ever do.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 5:48 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
bunt... Rangers, Bruins, Blackhawks, Flyers, Sharks-North, and... Capitals.
Oh, I wasn't thinking of Washington as an original transit city. They're just the only one that could build a modern metro in the 20th century because, well, the federal government. Everybody else has a budget.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 5:54 PM

Call them the Big 6 instead of the Original 6. You lose the hockey connection but it's more accurate.

Also, although the feds did help more than usual, the bigger reason DC and SF were able to build such large post-war Metros is that we canceled our urban interstates and put the money into subways instead. It's not a coincidence that the 2 biggest freeway revolts were DC & SF.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West