HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 3:31 PM

More info about the Sanlin + others on Canal.

Looks like Motwani is partnering with Sonder to fix these buildings up and turn them into STRs. I gotta wonder if we'll ever see the STR market in the CBD peak and some of the buildings foreclose or go back to actual rentals (with reduced prices). It seems like the STR market is insatiable though...

https://www.nola.com/expo/news/erry-...s-planned.html

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 5:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post

Looks like Motwani is partnering with Sonder to fix these buildings up and turn them into STRs. I gotta wonder if we'll ever see the STR market in the CBD peak and some of the buildings foreclose or go back to actual rentals (with reduced prices). It seems like the STR market is insatiable though...

Yes hes partnering with sonder ... well to be clear sonder just signs a lease ... funding wise its all financed by the owner

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Yes hes partnering with sonder ... well to be clear sonder just signs a lease ... funding wise its all financed by the owner
Thank god they're getting rid of the Sanlin facade. That travesty by itself cheapens the entire block of prime real estate on Canal St. Sounds like they want to class the street up, and this project will help improve appearances and increase foot traffic.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:

"I have been working very, very hard to get retail to come to Canal Street, talking to Restoration Hardware, Crate and Barrel, an Apple Store," Williams

I can confirm that Restoration Hardware is looking for a space in the CBD.

The article also mentions Halal Guys is being replaced by a wine bar??? I find that interesting.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:

The best part not mentioned in the article, is the giant ugly billboard on top of 623 Canal Street will be removed by adding a penthouse, probably never to return under current zoning rules.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 4:34 AM

Where could I find pictures of the skyline/buildings being built in the CBD throughout the 70s/80s? I’ve searched google but I feel like there’s somewhere with tons of information and pictures. Also, extremely excited to see the activity on Canal Street. An Apple Store sounds pretty sweet right there. Brings a sense of refinement to that area.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 4:45 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb View Post
Where could I find pictures of the skyline/buildings being built in the CBD throughout the 70s/80s? I’ve searched google but I feel like there’s somewhere with tons of information and pictures. Also, extremely excited to see the activity on Canal Street. An Apple Store sounds pretty sweet right there. Brings a sense of refinement to that area.
there was an interesting book i had as a kid called Over New Orleans and it looked to be taken around 1984ish i think

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Over-New-...caAqAIEALw_wcB

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 7:35 PM
-

1320 Magazine St, Suite 102·New Construction · Ref Code: B8FAV1
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Cordula Gray
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/8/2018
Closed:
No
Description
interior build-out of white box unit for new 2 story construction

djsnola
401 Carondelet St, SUITE A-B·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: K5VV0E
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Troy Verrett
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/5/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Interior build out of restrooms and white box

1130 Baronne St·New Construction · Ref Code: 72VS0R
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Verges Rome Architects
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/5/2018
Closed:
No
Description
New 4-story, 5 unit all-suites hotel.

827 Carondelet St·HDLC COA · Ref Code: 5CY812
Download (24) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Kirk Fabacher
HDLC CBD ARC Meeting
Date Filed:
8/17/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation of existing three-story commercial building including new two-story addition in alley and new penthouse addition.

500 St Peter St·Renovation (Structural) · Ref Code: BWHM6M
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Blake Kidder
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/8/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Restoration and repair to the second floor exterior gallery of the Upper Pontalba Apartment Building - the scope includes only exterior repairs to the perimeter gallery beam, downspout repair and gallery decking repairs.

djsnola
3601 Coliseum St, 6th Floor·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: YQTDPS
Type:
Applicant:
Charles Neyrey
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/8/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Level 1 Alteration (IEBC 2015) to the 6th floor of an existing Medical Facility Building. The 6th Floor is currently vacant, and the last tenant was a medical facility (Institutional I-2, IBC 2015). Minor renovations will be made to the entire 6th Floor (Approx. 12,505 SF) in order to open a new In-Patient Detoxification Facility (Institutional, I-2 IBC 2015) with 15 2-bed sleeping rooms (30 beds total).

djsnola
3021 Franklin Ave, Building C·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: 7LJLWD
Type:
Applicant:
Luke Ortego
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/9/2018
Closed:
No
Description
interior build out of 2nd floor of Building C @ Climasafe storage on Franklin Ave.

300 S Rampart St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: 5E1181
Type:
Applicant:
Joel Ross
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/5/2018
Closed:
No
Description
NON-STRUCTURAL RENOVATION OF EXISTING THREE-STORY HISTORIC BUILDING PREVIOUSLY USED AN OFFICE BUILDING WITH ADAPTIVE RE-USE INTO TO AN 8-SUITE HOTEL. NO CHANGE TO EXISTING BUILDING FOOTPRINT OR HEIGHT. MODIFY INTERIOR PARTITION WALLS TO CREATE 8 HOTEL SUITES AND LOBBY. PROJECT SHALL RECEIVE STATE AND FEDERAL HISTORIC REHABILITATION TAX CREDITS. RENOVATE HISTORIC FRONT AND SIDE FACADES. REPLACE ALL EXISTING WINDOWS AND EXTERIOR DOORS TO MATCH EXISTING. EACH HOTEL SUITE IS TO HAVE A WARMING KITCHEN. REPLACE EXISTING HYDRAULIC ELEVATOR IN EXISTING ELEVATOR SHAFT WITH NEW ELEVATOR CAB AND HYDRAULIC MOTOR. INSTALL NEW NFPA 13R SPRINKLER SYSTEM AND FIRE ALARM. NEW ROOF MEMBRANE. NEW PLUMBING THROUGHOUT. NEW MECHANICAL SYSTEMS THROUGHOUT. RELOCATE EXISTING ELECTRICAL PANELS AND METERS TO EXTERIOR OF BUILDING. NEW COSMETIC FINISHES THROUGHOUT.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:37 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
"I have been working very, very hard to get retail to come to Canal Street, talking to Restoration Hardware, Crate and Barrel, an Apple Store," Williams

I can confirm that Restoration Hardware is looking for a space in the CBD.

The article also mentions Halal Guys is being replaced by a wine bar??? I find that interesting.
wine bar actually next to halal guys not replacing it.. they updated the story..

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 4:30 PM
-

Some interesting things noticed and heard past few days

Sonder has taken all the apartments at the jung and hearing the hotel portion may flag as Sofitel brand

Looks like demo machinery is arriving at the drive shack site

Superdome looks like its adding some led screens to the parking garage

Saw that condor is back for next year now too

Foo fighters opening the fillmore two nights in february 15-16 so we have def opening date for that venue

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 9:11 PM
-

Rye and Pie

this looks like will be nice

404 Andrew Higgins Dr·HDLC COA · Ref Code: FN80XP
Download (2) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Terri Dreyer
Returned for revision
Date Filed:
7/25/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Addition of a dumpster shed, new porch and covering, removal of existing fence and green screen and replacement with brick and iron fence, and new signage. Addition of new landscaping with in the site.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:46 PM

Looks like Elmwood developments are moving forward with a new economic development district. Last I heard they were considering 200-250 residential units, now this article states 500, plus changes to streets and walking paths. I'm sure Avondale getting redeveloped helps:
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...93d418fbc.html

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:53 PM

Any news on the Annunciation, when construction is going to start and how is construction on the Odeon tower going?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Looks like Elmwood developments are moving forward with a new economic development district. Last I heard they were considering 200-250 residential units, now this article states 500, plus changes to streets and walking paths. I'm sure Avondale getting redeveloped helps:
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...93d418fbc.html
This development reminds me of something in Dunwoody or Alpharetta Georgia which are really nice suburbs of Atlanta. Doesn’t the company that owns Elmwood own the former plaza mall site in New Orleans east? I really hope that they develop a regional shopping mall their similar to what perimeter mall area is in Atlanta area with office space and apartments and condos surrounding the mall. I feel Orleans parish can support a new regional shopping mall.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeau View Post
Any news on the Annunciation, when construction is going to start and how is construction on the Odeon tower going?
Which Annunciation project? There are a few...
Odeon is still in foundation work last I saw, will pass by tomorrow.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about the Sara Mayo redevelopment? I hadn't heard anything about it in a while.

It's great to see these STR deals putting more vacant property into good use. I wonder if the Oil and Gas building might end up going that route. Seems to be absorbing a ton of residential units as well, so hopefully we see more big projects coming down the pipeline.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:26 AM
-

Quote:
Which Annunciation project? There are a few...
Odeon is still in foundation work last I saw, will pass by tomorrow.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about the Sara Mayo redevelopment? I hadn't heard anything about it in a while.

It's great to see these STR deals putting more vacant property into good use. I wonder if the Oil and Gas building might end up going that route. Seems to be absorbing a ton of residential units as well, so hopefully we see more big projects coming down the pipeline.
i saw a construction trailer is now on site for The Annunciation

Old sara mayo is a kailas project and they sort of have their hands full at the moment with The Parkway and Hard Rock Hotel.. so im guessing maybe after the parkway opens they will focus on that one

oil and gas.. ive heard that building has issues structurally .. but thats just what ive heard

6001 Magazine St·Design Review · Project #18-1829 · Ref Code: PETES5
Download (4) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
Lavigne Baker Petroleum LLC
Draft Application
Date Filed:
10/8/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Conceptual Design Review Application for new multi-tenant construction. Only have elevations for review.

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 11, 2018 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:40 AM

This Tulane Ave strip mall:
Is it tearing down Canal Furniture and/or the building next to it as part of this redevelopment?

Also, is that really the design? If so, I am incredibly disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
totally agree.. the drawings show some overhang onto the drive but im not sure that its enough

4001 Tulane Ave·New Construction · Ref Code: Q4SKV3
Download (3) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
David Strokes
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/4/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Construct new commercial strip mall. Shell only. Tenants will fill out their own future permits

1320 Magazine St Ste 104·New Construction · Ref Code: XZFGWX
Download (7) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
John Guarnieri
Draft Application
Date Filed:
10/3/2018
Closed:
No
Description
1320 Magazine Suite 104. Restaurant fit out within new white box shell as part of multi-tenant commercial building. Suite

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:55 AM
-

its just that empty corner lot so not tearing that down.. and yes its pretty ugly from what we see

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:14 AM

Ugh, what a waste. IIRC CBD zoning requires a minimum number of floors for new construction, three I think. That type of requirement should be extended to major thoroughfares like Tulane and Canal.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 5:31 AM
-

Quote:
Ugh, what a waste. IIRC CBD zoning requires a minimum number of floors for new construction, three I think. That type of requirement should be extended to major thoroughfares like Tulane and Canal.
Yeah not too exciting but i guess its better than the crap there right now

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations