HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:11 PM

Just having a presence is useful. the officer doesn't have to be running all over busting people. Unfortunately most seedy dealings wioll jst move into the shadows. But better in the shadows than making amockery of us all in plain sight at the centre of the business area.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

I think a traffic officer would be fantastic once you think about it, it would improve the core in my opinion. Plus the officer will always be at the intersection so if there's a crime taking place someone could easily tap officer and report it.

Over time people will get to know the officer as well, make a good ambassador.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:32 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
there isn't a human being in the world that can direct traffic and bust 'perps' at the same time. Each of these duties require 100% of the officers attention.
I think the officer's role in the latter would be more of a deterrent.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 4:20 PM

A deterrent only works if you are willing and capable of following through with punishment. Drug dealing will continue with only one authority figure policing the area because there's not a damn thing he or she can do about it on their own.

Would it be more efficient for a team of plain clothes officers to spend random days over a period of months to bust drug deals that are occuring in the open. Thus providing a real deterrent to drug dealers since they'll never know if the person they're selling to is a cop or not.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 4:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

There's already designated police officers patrolling James St North and the downtown core area.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
There's already designated police officers patrolling James St North and the downtown core area.
I have never seen a police officer in downtown in the year and a bit I've been here. And I'm downtown (Gore Park) routinely usually a few times a week (transferring to buses, etc) and I have never seen a police officer in uniform down there.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 8:41 PM

I see them all the time. It must just be timing.

Regarding "just one guy" not being able to do anything. That's why they have radios!

At any rate it can't hurt

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
I have never seen a police officer in downtown in the year and a bit I've been here. And I'm downtown (Gore Park) routinely usually a few times a week (transferring to buses, etc) and I have never seen a police officer in uniform down there.
I see them almost every day at Gore. I saw three officers (on bikes) go into the Hamilton Newsstand the other day (I have no idea what went on in there ).

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post

Yeah you really have to look for them. I've only seen them a couple times, one being at King & Hughson and another somewhere on James.

They do use my street (as well as the FD) as a conduit to James St so I do hear the vehicles all day long.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 5:57 PM

Exclamation Info on one-way conversions

Hello, my name is Emanuel, I am a graduate student in urban planning in Toronto, and I am very interested in Hamilton and its future potential. I live in Toronto, and though I've poured over maps, I've only seen Hamilton in passing.

I would like to ask you folks about the initial 1956 conversion of streets to one-way. Are there any reports archived anywhere that gave a rationale for doing it? Why were some streets converted, how was the street grid conceptualized at the time? Are there any other texts on the subject? I've had a hard time finding any meaningful material in my university library.

Thanks,
Emanuel

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel Nicolescu View Post
Hello, my name is Emanuel, I am a graduate student in urban planning in Toronto, and I am very interested in Hamilton and its future potential. I live in Toronto, and though I've poured over maps, I've only seen Hamilton in passing.

I would like to ask you folks about the initial 1956 conversion of streets to one-way. Are there any reports archived anywhere that gave a rationale for doing it? Why were some streets converted, how was the street grid conceptualized at the time? Are there any other texts on the subject? I've had a hard time finding any meaningful material in my university library.

Thanks,
Emanuel
You should definitely make a trip to the Local History and Archives at the Hamilton Central Library.

My understanding of the one way system is that it has to do with several unique features of Hamilton.

Hamilton is divided into upper and lower sections. Residential growth on "the mountain" exploded from the 50s to present. At the same time, most of the employment was in the lower city in the industrial area along the harbour. There are only a few mountain accesses for vehicles, so large volumes of north/south traffic had to be funneled to these accesses (note that hwy 403 is not convenient for most people's cases). Thus we have many high capacity one ways running north/south. Two of these were recently converted to two-way (James and John). For the most part north/south arterial routes come in pairs with 3 or 4 lanes each (like Wellington and Victoria).

Because of the industrial nature of Hamilton, heavy truck traffic also had to be accommodated.

East/west traffic is concentrated along the King/Main pair which runs through downtown. Although Hamilton is not an office town, there is still a high concentration of workers downtown. The other long east/west one way pairing is Cannon/Wilson. There was no expressway running east/west and this is Hamilton's main axis.

Obviously, at the time, Hamilton put all its eggs in one basket, namely the automobile. Just before the one way conversions, all the streetcar tracks were ripped out. Nevertheless, the lower city continued to develop in a dense way, and continues to have very high residential density.

As a result of the one-way system, traffic flows very easily throughout the lower city. However, there is almost unanimous agreement that the one-way system has been a contributing factor to the decline of residential neighbourhoods and commercial districts (including downtown).

You should definitely make a trip to Hamilton to see for yourself how it all works.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
so large volumes of north/south traffic had to be funneled to these accesses (note that hwy 403 is not convenient for most people's cases).
Also note that Hwy 403 in Hamilton was still in the planning/construction phases at the time.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 7:04 PM
Closed account

There are also alot of historical archives on the city's own website:

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/CityandGovernment/

Although not sure if there's anything specifically on the original conversions, it's worth a look around.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 7:21 PM

Thanks to you both.

I had considered the north/south one-way streets in terms of supporting the industrial quarter in the north, but not the residential needs on mountain.

A compendium of City of Hamilton records mentions a 1956 "Traffic and Transportation Plan for Hamilton" that included a "One-Way Street Plan". There is also a Hamilton Area Transportation Study from 1963.

I'm going for a visit to Hamilton next week, so I will drop by the library and try to find them.

Best regards,
Emanuel

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 8:27 PM
Needs more coffee...

I'm sure many here would also suggest to take a look at James Street while you're here as well, which has undergone conversion back to two-way a few years ago (as a part of a plan to convert many one-way streets back to two-way) and has seen revitalization and economic benefits as a result. Not perfect, but definitely worth a look.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 11:25 PM

When you graduate, come help plan the city! It certainly would be an interesting time for an urban developer in Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 2:06 AM

When you come to Hamilton if you need a tour guide I'm sure there would be a few who would be happy to volunteer from this forum board.

John Street has also seen some new businesses develop and open since the two way conversion. Incognito, one of the nicer restaurants in the Lower City, and Pastimes in the old Edwin Pass Jewelery store are but 2 examples of the John Street development.

I for one would love to see the results of your studies. I'd even go so far as to commit to securing a venue for a presentation, paying your GO transportation and buying a meal (what 'starving' grad student would pass that up ).

highwater on the board can confirm from our guerilla planting in the fall (some shoots are up), that I'll put 'my money where my mouth is'.

Last edited by FairHamilton; Feb 19, 2009 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 2:19 PM

Smile

In a stark contrast to the slow pace of one-waying in Hamilton, St. Catharines is roaring ahead with conversion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Catharines Standard
Two-way work 'aggravating'

DOWNTOWN: Business owner says two-way traffic makes sense, despite the hassles of construction

Posted By DON FRASER
STANDARD STAFF

Posted 1 month ago

Two-way traffic conversion in downtown St. Catharines is roaring ahead.

And for Christina McKee, that could mean a troubling business slowdown.

"Yes, I am concerned," said McKee, owner of Christina's Eatery on St. Paul Street. Christina's is beside a section of St. Paul that's about to be rebuilt.

"To be honest with you, I don't know what's going to happen," she said.

"Business is very slow as it is and the construction might make it worse.

"My customers also aren't happy at all, because they're worried about losing parking."

However, McKee believes two-way traffic makes sense, despite the hassles. "I think after it's done, it's going to benefit business," she said.

"With two-way streets, you notice things," she said. "But when I'm going down a one-way, I don't look around."

Starting this week and continuing until September, delays and inconveniences will be the rule as the $3.5-million project ramps up.

"The impact will probably be aggravating," said Cam Milne, Niagara Region's transportation project manager.

"There's no getting around it; we've got a busy downtown core and construction is going to disrupt things," he said.

Last fall, the first two-way conversion on a stretch of Queenston Street was completed.

The next phase of the city and Niagara Region project is the reconstruction of Ontario Street between Lake and King streets, and St. Paul Street between the Burgoyne Bridge and William Street.

A two-way conversion of St. Paul and King from Ontario to Carlisle Street will follow. That should be done by late May.

Ontario Street between King and St. Paul is to be rebuilt and made two-way by September.

Water mains, sanitary and storm sewers are being replaced, sidewalks repaired and new traffic lights installed.

Pedestrians and bicycles can get through construction zones "using appropriate care," Milne said.

"The work is coming, and unless we're told otherwise, it's proceeding," City of St. Catharines transportation manager Kris Jacobson said with a laugh. "You could see a significant portion of the downtown system converted to two-way traffic this year," Jacobson said.

He said at the very least, Ontario Street should be two way, and both King and St. Paul converted from Ontario to Carlisle this year.

The St. Paul and King two-way extensions could go up to Court Street, Jacobson said.

Jacobson said the city is working with the Region on a design for the final section -- St. Paul Street and King Street from Court to Geneva streets.

That last area should be done in 2011.

- - -

Downtown construction timelines

Phase 1: March to late May

Reconstruct St. Paul Street from Burgoyne Bridge to William Street, and Ontario Street from Lake to King streets.

Work will also be done on King Street between Queen and Ontario streets. Traffic signals and signs will be implemented for two-way traffic conversion. One-way traffic remains as is in this phase.

Phase 2: Late May to early June

Convert St. Paul between Ontario and Carlisle, and King between Carlisle and Ontario to two-way traffic.

This will be the minimum stretch converted during this phase. It's possible both streets will be made two-way as far as Court Street this year.

King and St. Paul will be made two-way before the reconstruction of Ontario between King and St. Paul. This will help provide detours around the construction zone.

Phase 3: Early June to mid-September

Reconstruct Ontario between King and St. Paul and convert to two-way traffic.

By the end of the year, Ontario Street as well as most of St. Paul and King will be converted.

Options are being developed for the Geneva, Niagara, St. Paul streets area. Construction likely won't start until 2011.

Source: Kris Jacobson, City of St. Catharines transportation services manager

Article ID# 1461857
It's hard to picture a one-way St. Paul Street. Only because it makes too much sense.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 8:56 PM
Closed account

Is two-way traffic the best way?

Hat tip to Ben Bull at RTH.

Is two-way traffic the best way?
RICHARD LAUTENS/TORONTO STAR

Councillor Adam Vaughan is seen on an underused Richmond St., which is one-way westbound, at 3 p.m. May 4, 2009. Vaughan favours making Richmond and Adelaide two-way streets from University Ave. to Bathurst St.

Councillor argues for converting a stretch of Richmond, Adelaide
May 05, 2009 04:30 AM
Comments on this story (29)
Paul Moloney
CITY HALL BUREAU

Is it time to convert one-way Richmond and Adelaide back to two-way streets?

Councillor Adam Vaughan thinks so, at least for the stretch in his ward from University Ave. west to Bathurst St.

Don Valley Parkway motorists could still enjoy one-way travel on Richmond and Adelaide to get in and out of downtown, Vaughan said, acknowledging that changing that popular commuter route would "make a mess of things."

But he thinks going to two-way on the western portion would make life easier for condo dwellers moving into the neighbourhood, and encourage cafés and stores to open along the once-industrial avenues.

In support of his quest, he's handing out little buttons showing arrows pointing in both directions, with the words "two way." Vaughan led a walk through the area on the weekend to point out the possibilities.

Next month, a planning review of the neighbourhood is to go to the Toronto and East York community council, where Vaughan will seek support for a formal transportation study.

The Entertainment District Business Improvement Area supports such a study, as do cyclists.

"We'd like to see both streets thrive with street level cafes and retail," said Janice Solomon, executive director of the business group. "It's not conducive to that at all now, because of the traffic."

Richmond and Adelaide are deemed future cycling routes in the city's bike plan, and it would be better if they were two-way, said Nancy Smith-Lea, program director of the Toronto Coalition for Active Transportation.

"One-way streets tend to be more dangerous for both cyclists and pedestrians," Smith-Lea said.

"Traffic moves much faster."

It's a feasible idea, said Ron Hamilton, traffic operations manager for the district. "They're four-lane roadways and they certainly could, in theory, operate as two-way streets.

"What would need to be evaluated is the impact on neighbourhood access and traffic circulation."

Vaughan said the neighbourhood has become a magnet for highrise office, hotel and condominium projects.

Many of the new residents walk to work, and Vaughan wants to spare them from having to dodge speeding vehicles.

"We already have the highest pedestrian walk-to-work ratio anywhere in the city," he said. "Creating rich pedestrian environments is going to make sense."

Vaughan would like to see a study completed and a decision reached, ideally within a year.

"The most frustrating thing for me as a new politician is the time it takes for people to say okay."

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 12:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Talking the walk of life
International experts advocate end of one-way streets as a big step toward making city a pedestrian paradise

May 14, 2009
John Kernaghan
The Hamilton Spectator
http://thespec.com/News/Local/article/565614

Hamilton enjoys many "patches of loveliness, but also patches of despair" that can be remedied by converting one-way streets to two-way and limiting truck traffic.

That's the conclusion one member of an international team examining Hamilton will present today to city policy-makers.

"Truck traffic can't be the sacred goose," offered Bronwen Thornton after walking around downtown Hamilton yesterday.

She is development director of Walk21, a United Kingdom organization promoting pedestrian livable areas.

After observing huge trucks crossing tranquil James Street North on Cannon Street, Toronto urban designer Paul Young said, "Trucks are killing the city."

Thornton, Young and four other experts were invited to Hamilton to offer advice on how to introduce active, safe and sustainable transportation policies.

They are part of the touring Canadian Walking Master Class project, which is funded by the federal government.

Young said that intersection of James North and Cannon showed the best and worst of Hamilton's transportation plan.

The visiting experts and staff from several city departments interrupted the walk to meet Dave Kuruc of Mixed Media art shop, which occupies the southeast corner.

He showed them how James North has prospered since being converted to two-way traffic with recessed parking areas and expanded sidewalks.

But his remarks were often drowned out by big trucks roaring west on Cannon, a one-way street.

Kuruc said he plans to press his point with city planners by inviting them to have tea with him on the narrow sidewalk on Cannon.

"We'll see how they enjoy that," he said.

Young noted how businesses along James North had added flower planters and street seating that combined with the trees on the street and slower traffic to make the area flourish as a destination.

The group also walked areas in Ancaster, Westdale and Ottawa Street North and found some nice pockets but a disconnect between them.

Jacky Kennedy, director of walking programs for Green Communities Canada, said she was delighted to find those pockets.

She said her previous image of Hamilton was framed by visits to offices near high traffic areas along Main Street.

The group was heartened to hear that York Boulevard and Wilson Street were being converted to two-way and walked past the portion of York where a lane of traffic will give way to an outdoor market area to complement the Farmers' Market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure