HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 8:48 PM

Yes, Berlin is a city of freedom of art but I don't really like that a lot of places are dirty, you can find a lot of buildings with boarded doors and windows and there are a lot of homeless people here. But the city is great, yeah
I really like to travel. In another country you can find something new for yourself, you can meet a lot of interesting people and you can understand how beautiful is your country, this is like the huge cocktail or game of feelings and emotions! So enjoy every your travelling

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 10:41 PM

Berlin No. 3. :Monocle Quality of Life Ranking
(London Magazine)

1.Tokyo
2.Vienna
3.Berlin & Munich
5.Melbourne
6.Copenhagen
7.Sydney
8.Zurich
9.Hamburg
10.Madrid

Quote:
03. Berlin: Truly public spaces
Until just a few years ago, Berlin’s quality of life was measured mostly by its cost of living. Thanks to an overabundance of residential buildings, rents were laughably cheap, attracting creative types from all over the world seeking freedom from financial pressures. The boon has since ended and the hype has passed but the city has maintained its position in our rankings. Why?

Maybe the most important factor is that there isn’t one Berlin. Each district has such a distinct flavour that travelling from leafy Zehlendorf to glossy Mitte and on to rugged Neukölln feels like visiting completely different cities. (Thanks to good public transport and bike and car-sharing options, this is easy.) The variety has led to intense loyalties around neighbourhoods and, for a city of 3.5 million people, it can feel surprisingly village-like.

Berlin is also one of Europe’s most multicultural cities: more than half of its residents aren’t native to the city. Not only is English spoken nearly everywhere but in many cafés in Mitte, Kreuzberg and Neukölln it is the official language, as the requirement for staff to know German is increasingly redundant. The reason may be that their bosses don’t speak it either: despite Germany’s reputation for bureaucracy, opening a business in Berlin usually requires just one visit to a public office and paperwork is available in many languages.

Berlin’s defining feature used to be the presence of world history on every corner; today the ubiquity of great restaurants seems like a more important characteristic. From a city that used to dance, Berlin has become a city that eats. Food now attracts more creative energy than the many technology start-ups that dominated Berlin a few years ago.

Lacking the legacy industries of other German urban centres, Berlin has done much to support entrepreneurialism and subsidise culture. The result is that it’s the world’s only city with three opera houses, many of Germany’s most cutting-edge theatres and a museum that houses everything from ancient artifacts to quirky industrial objects.

Still, Berlin is at its best when the government keeps its distance. A legacy of the post-reunification anarchy is the strong sense of ownership residents have over their city. Most parks don’t close at night, the curfew for bars still seems to depend on what they negotiate with their neighbours and residents regularly turn the spaces around trees in the street into miniature gardens. This understanding that public space truly belongs to everybody has given Berlin a strong sense of freedom. And it survives in an age when many other cities are experiencing security clampdowns. The British embassy continues to be more heavily guarded than Angela Merkel’s private residence, which is recognisable only by two police officers strolling the vicinity.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 12:13 AM

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 8:17 PM

Police Academy Part X:

200 German cops engage in s*x party; Berlin miffed

Quote:
Over 200 Berlin police officers have been sent home after throwing an alcohol-fuelled party
topped with s*x in public in Hamburg, which is hosting a world leaders’ summit (G20) next week.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 6:14 AM

Thank you for bringing diversity to our forum.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 11:37 AM

A creative’s guide to Berlin

Quote:
The year 2009 saw Berlin labelled the “coolest city in Europe”, and it has successfully sustained that reputation since. Berlin is not only the capital of Germany but the hub of techno music, avant-garde art and gourmet street food. It is a place for the creative soul, fashioning both a relaxed and energetic vibe. It’s a diverse metropolis, with an ingrained taste for change. With its youthful and tolerant mentality, Berlin leads the way in innovative design.

Amidst its artistic flair, Berlin is together, industrial and charming. Although not quintessentially known for being beautiful, its tree-lined canals and peaceful Tiergarten district, crafts a calm and comfortable feel amongst Berliners, continuously deceiving tourists of its hidden splendour.

As David Bowie once said “Berlin: the greatest cultural extravaganza that one could imagine”, and he couldn’t be more right. Its creative synergies, free-spirited climate and cheap rent have turned the German capital into a major magnet for artists from around the globe.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 5:08 PM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:58 PM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 9:15 PM

Berlin Cops have everything under control !
(in the good old days....)

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:38 AM

I know of Berlin mostly through the music, especially techno. Monolake, Shed, Villalobos, Recondite, the list goes on.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 7:06 PM

Berlin Contemporary Memorial

....mirrors Aleppo barricade in Syria ....

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 2:14 AM

Quote:
As the sex capital of the world, Berlin has a huge spectrum of erotic services and locations to offer. The most original and spectacular places were researched for this book, accompanying readers on an erotic discovery tour of the city. This book’s tour takes you to massage parlors, erotic theaters, tantra studios, swinger clubs, brothels, galleries, shops, nude photography studios, S&M venues and places for burlesque and strip tease dancing !

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:04 PM

I don't know why you have to feel that rebellious, but there's got to be something of Berlin in there indeed.

In any case, random and casual sex is pretty useless to both little children and real adults.
It only brings about frustration, helpless jealousy and traumas. Why would you have to go through this type of unpleasant things?

For example, did you take a look at guys going to prostitutes? They are a nightmare to these poor enslaved women serving them against their own will. That's obviously not what you want to be.

You want to be a seducer, don't you? Ha ha, I know... Well, you've got some real assets to be that real seductive thing of your dreams. Trust in your real things.

Showing off sex abilities is pretty useless. Anyone can have sex, even chimpanzees.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 11:44 AM

New Berlin Start up invented .....tata.......the flying sofa !
Traffic problems solved..

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 11:37 PM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 5:13 AM

Now on Netflix in the US:

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Now on Netflix in the US:

Video Link

Did you get to watch some, Pedestrian?

We watched 6 episodes so far, and I find this to be among my top 5 favorites on Netflix, so far. Everything about this series is excellently put together. A subtle tribute to 1920's Berlin. Direction, Art, Photography, and acting/casting are superb, and the storyline is well thought out. There is that one scene we see in your preview, in the 2nd episode, a cabaret scene that really blew me away.

Last edited by montréaliste; Feb 7, 2018 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post

We watched 6 episodes so far, and I find this to be among my top 5 favorites on Netflix, so far. Everything about this series is excellently put together. A subtle tribute to 1920's Berlin. Direction, Art, Photography, and acting/casting are superb, and the storyline is well thought out. There is that one scene we see in your preview, in the 2nd episode, a cabaret scene that really blew me away.
Good to hear, it's on my watch list.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 1:00 AM

Quote:

I've watched 5 episodes so far and I agree! Really great production value!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 3:10 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I binge-watched 5 on Saturday. Have to do it on weekends mostly (and this weekend the new Churchill movie has priority but I should get in another 4 or 5 episodes of Babylon Berlin).

What I love most about it so far is the overhead shots of the recreated pre-war Alexanderplatz:

https://mrspeabodyinvestigates.files...11/bb-alex.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions